Another Day In Paradise?

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
I can only hope and pray that the buy out comes very soon. Today our 11AM PHL departure left the gate at around 7PM. Our 3PM PHL left the gate at 9PM, and our 6PM PM PHL Airbus left the gate empty at around 9:30PM. I had the pleasure of working 5 delayed flights, (all at the same time), with just one other agent to help me, 2PHL's, DCA, BOS, and PIT. All 5 flights were full, and all were very late. The lines were out the door, the planes are pulling up and you have to leave your line of about 30 passengers standing there, waiting for your return. Of course when you open the aircraft door, you learn of a straight back, and 3 UMNR's. Oh, then to make matters worse for my female co-worker, it is time for my unpaid 1 hour break, due to my split shift, now she can work the five late flights by herself for the next hour. Believe it or not, this is the truth. The highlite was when a passenger , standing in my long line, hollered at me, and said, "Why hasn't anyone made an anoncement about BOS being late? It's because I have not had time to make the other 4 announcements about the 2 PHL, and PIT, and DCA being late too. And the CSS's say it will only get worse after the next round of cutbacks, so don't complain.

This is what our talented team of executives have let the airline become. I dont think they really care about this outfit surviving. They are milking the customer for every dime they can get and I doubt very seriously if US will be around one year from now. This kind of madness in operation of a business can not continue forever. We'll all be out of OJI mental stress medicals. What a hateful job anymore.

I agree. Last night on the way home was the first time I had actually seriously thought about maybe taking an offer if they gave one and leaving this place.
Our 245 PHL left at 8pm, 145 and 445 Canx, 250 to PIT Canx, 555 to DCA left at 8 and 520 to CLT left at 8 along with our 645 PIT. Not a good day all around. We'd rebook onto something else only to find out it was late. No one told us we were losing a FA when PIT got in so if it hadnt been late in the first place, we would have wound up busting conx waiting for a FA in the end anyway. All we do on the pm shift anymore it seems is rebook everyone for the next day. I am so drained by the end of the night, I cant believe that its only a 5 hour shift. I feel like I've been there 16 hours. :shock: And we actually had the bean counters in town this past week again to see what else they could cut. :down:
Lets keep our fingers crossed that today is much better for all.

Fly,

I hear the same exact descriptions everyday from my wife. She works in Ticketing in PHL and she was working all day yesterday. Apparently, the daily nightmare was magnified by torrential downpours. Short-staffed beyond belief... to the point where it is embarassing. How do they expect to keep customers when customer service is virtually non-exitant? And I don't mean lack of professional customer service skills. I mean lack of agents. After all of the years she has spent working for US, I think she (we) has finally had enough! Good luck to all at US Airways. :up:

Sounds pretty bad, but are you aware that the Philly area received anywhere from 5-11 inches of rain yesterday! It's amazing that the Airport was even open at all! I mean even on sunny days we have obnoxious delays here! There was more rain in this area than there was when Hurricane Floyd passed through last year! Just a terrible day all around for air travel! :down:

Hope777 said:
You mean the Kiosks did not step in to Help, or were they on break?
In all seriousness, one thing that would seriously help would be for the kiosks to handle irregular ops.

Imagine for starters a world where the airplane being late would result in automatic rebooking, where the pax only have to go to a kiosk to either pick up their new boarding passes or choose yet another routing if they wished.

No, it wouldn't allow for the elimination of all agents. But it sure would help in times like those.

matika said:
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Sorry, it will never improve. This place is our worst night mare. They were begging people to stay last night & everyone pretty much told them what to do.
We are all drained. I don't think under the current working conditions that anyone was capable of staying regardless of their personal opinions.

coachrowsey

I don't know what dept you are in but it is getting more difficult to get anyone to stay for the never ending overtime. Most are counting the minutes to the end of their shift the minute they walk through the door. You are there for eight hours of continual abuse from management and passengers so, who in their right minds want to extend that abuse for any amount of money.

I know nothing can be done to change the way management treats employees but if our passengers would just stop for a minute and think before they start bashing the employees the pressure would ease a little and make our jobs a little more bearable.

Just a little reminder to our passengers that frequent this forum...we the employees DO NOT cause fog, rain, snow, wind, ice, delays due to air traffic, maintenance or crew requirement. We do not design the phone system that puts you on hold for 1 1/2 hrs or in the never ending transfer loop. We do not design the fares or rules and we have no say in the food served on any given flight. We have no control over the baggage system in PHL or requirements for security and we did not design the website.

We are just employees of this airline doing what is dictated to us to receive a paycheck every other week just like you and everyone else in this world. We do the best that we can with the tools that we are given and under managements rules. We as employees do not like what is going on here just as much if not more than our passengers but we have no choice.

If our passengers would be just a little more understanding and think before they go off into a tirade it would make it much easier on everyone involved to get our job done and our passengers taken care of.

The employees of US our here to do their job and help our passengers in the best way we can and if our passengers would just realize that and vent their anger in the right direction it would make things a lot easier on all of us including passengers. Screaming and yelling just fuels the fire especially at this time when everyone is already on edge.

Please do not take it out on the employees! Call or write to our CEO and to Consumer Affairs.

Whatnow? said:
Sounds pretty bad, but are you aware that the Philly area received anywhere from 5-11 inches of rain yesterday! It's amazing that the Airport was even open at all! I mean even on sunny days we have obnoxious delays here! There was more rain in this area than there was when Hurricane Floyd passed through last year! Just a terrible day all around for air travel! :down:
Too easy to b****....but now isn't that all everyone does around here? And please, before you guys start accusing me of being management, I am just a f/a, but I refuse to not tell the whole story on issues like this. If you are going to b****, at least tell the entire story.

coachrowsey said:
Sorry, it will never improve. This place is our worst night mare. They were begging people to stay last night & everyone pretty much told them what to do.
We are all drained. I don't think under the current working conditions that anyone was capable of staying regardless of their personal opinions.
Ok, then how about...

"Due to bugetary constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off indefinitely." Unless of course the unions agree to work for nothing in which case it will still be turned off. :rolleyes:

Whatnow? said:
Yes, it was very bad!
N FOLLOWING STATIONS HAVE GDP DUE TO TRWS..ITS UGLY¶
5N CK FLIFOS AND JS*CTY/FLOW..SOME MAY HAVE GRND STOPS ALSO¶
6N PHL..GRND STOP..UPDATE 1630E ATL..GRND STOP..1615E¶
7N EWR..GRND STOP..UPDATE 1630E LGA..GRND STOP..1630E¶
8N .¶
9N .¶
10N CLT..IMMIGRATION LOST PRIMARY COMPUTERS. PROCESSING¶
11N OF PAX SLOWED SIGNIFICANTLY. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWING A/C¶
12N TO DEPLANE UNTIL PREVIOUS A/C HAS BEEN CLEARED¶
13N .¶
14N NO ATC ROUTES AVAILABLE IN THE NORTHEAST..EXPECT¶
15N .DLYS TO NORTHEAST CITIES DUE TSTMS..THEREFORE¶
16N LENGTHY DELAYS AND POSSIBLE CANCELLATIONS ARE VERY¶
17N LIKELY..CITIES WILL HAVE GROUND STOPS OFF AND ON¶
18N .¶
19N ORD..TKT COUNTER AND SECURITY CHECK POINTS DO NOT¶
20N ......HAVE POWER..FLTS ARE DELAYED WHILE PAX TRY¶
21N ......AND GET THRU SECURITY¶
22N .¶
23N .¶
24N .‡¶

I don't think I've ever seen "it's ugly" in N*LAND before.

On the best of days with no weather and no cancells, this job in customer service is like a trip to hell everyday. Oversales, no protection for customers on ANY airline, constant staff shortages and misconnects, and listening to the customers complain about service. ATTN AL CRELIN: This department can no longer be refered to as "Customer Service". We no longer have the time or tools or staff to offer Customer Service. We are Customer Processing. Thats it! No time for Bravo Zulu's or Kudo's from Crystal City. The need to get outta their chairs and office and take a trip to the airport. See the Real World!

It was a bad weather delay, I don't know what the big surprise is. This stuff happens every summer you are not alone. PHL,BOS,LGA,DCA.......We all deal with it, It is just sad that we have to deal with it short staffed.

My question is how did LUV do in PHL yesterday.....???????????????????

Latest posts

Back