Another DC9 tire incident.

I think your referring to post # 25, and that is not PTO., That hurts my feelings that you would refer to me as PTO...:)

perhaps involved was the wrong word to use. jurisdiction would be the best word as each agency is in charge of specific duties, such as investigation, enforcement, etc..

example: the NTSB investigates a crash and determines the cause of such crash. the NTSB then makes a recommendation to the FAA who is then charged with making the necessary changes to prevent such crash from re- occuring.

I hope this helps explain better what I was trying to point out to QA4Jet-A.
Local 12, I am well aware of the jurisdiction and duties of the above mentioned Governmental agencies as well as the DOD. I work with our FAA on an on-going basis under Title 49 CFR Part 121.373 and other applicable regs. B)

Local 12, I am well aware of the jurisdiction and duties of the above mentioned Governmental agencies as well as the DOD. I work with our FAA on an on-going basis under Title 49 CFR Part 121.373 and other applicable regs. B)
well then if you understand this, and work closely with the FAA, and also have knowledge of mechanics falsifying records, you also have an obligation to report such acts. do you not?

I believe these were your words in post # 22

[qoute]
"I am just mentioning what I have seen and discussed with others."

well then if you understand this, and work closely with the FAA, and also have knowledge of mechanics falsifying records, you also have an obligation to report such acts. do you not?

I believe these were your words in post # 22

[qoute]
"I am just mentioning what I have seen and discussed with others."
Let's just say, the issue was handled correctly in my camp. Shall we put this issue to bed or do you care to go on?

Let's just say, the issue was handled correctly in my camp. Shall we put this issue to bed or do you care to go on?
I was just pointing out that for someone who is an inspector, and Im assuming by the first two letters in your screen name that would be your title,( feel free to correct me if Im wrong,) that you would have a responsibilty of high degree in reporting falsification of records by AMT's.

Sure we can put the issue to rest if you like, just dont come to a board shooting your mouth off about something you have no knowledge or proof of that happens outside your "camp"! and expect not to be challenged.

I was just pointing out that for someone who is an inspector, and Im assuming by the first two letters in your screen name that would be your title,( feel free to correct me if Im wrong,) that you would have a responsibilty of high degree in reporting falsification of records by AMT's.

Sure we can put the issue to rest if you like, just dont come to a board shooting your mouth off about something you have no knowledge or proof of that happens outside your "camp"! and expect not to be challenged.
Well, I won't point any fingers, name anyone or Spool this anymore. I have had convo's with other QA peeps from other Carriers and there does seem to be something of a trend. My first post was only in passing and was a general observation or comment, as it were, and I did not expect such a rebuttal from you. Then again, your answers only arouse my curiousity. You seem to defend as if there was no possibility of any truth to what I originally posted. I would never doubt your sincerity to your career or your license but I'd still take you up on a bet.... Polygraph the AMTs and whoever wins, pays the tab. Hell, let's just forget the bet and go have a Beer... I'm over this issue.

Well, I won't point any fingers, name anyone or Spool this anymore. I have had convo's with other QA peeps from other Carriers and there does seem to be something of a trend. My first post was only in passing and was a general observation or comment, as it were, and I did not expect such a rebuttal from you. Then again, your answers only arouse my curiousity. You seem to defend as if there was no possibility of any truth to what I originally posted. I would never doubt your sincerity to your career or your license but I'd still take you up on a bet.... Polygraph the AMTs and whoever wins, pays the tab. Hell, let's just forget the bet and go have a Beer... I'm over this issue.
I never once disputed the fact that as in every industry there are those who will take the low road, Im certain aviation has them as well., but in my "camp" they are a minority and are dealt with harshly.

I'll do you one better and buy the first round! :up:

sorry about that LOCAL. I was reading teh PTO thing. Like you I am not a fan of scabs! yes your point is much easier to understand now thanks soorryy again. i was actually referring to your post 25.

I never once disputed the fact that as in every industry there are those who will take the low road, Im certain aviation has them as well., but in my "camp" they are a minority and are dealt with harshly.

I'll do you one better and buy the first round! :up:
The same goes for my camp, you get caught, you have an automatic date with "Helena Handbasket". I'll have a Miller Lite... :up:

I've got some new info on this tire deal. NWA had a hard time figuring out what was going wrong with these tires because there simply wasn't much left to study. I still don't know for sure how they figured it out but I do have my own speculation. As far as the problem with the tires goes it is a simple mistake on the Mechanics part, an idiotic one I must say. It is apparent that the grease seal tabs were not aligned in the notches of the spacer. The tabs on the spacer are strong enough to hold up to the required torque of the axle nut but do not stand a chance of supporting the bearing on a moving aircraft. Once the tabs fail the tire is free to move inboard and out board on the axle till it has effectively beat the shet out of the bearings. Then it is free to slide past the axle nut and out run the aircraft. I have never seen this done before but there has to be a noticeable gap between the grease seal and spacer of at least an eighth of an inch. It is indeed shameful that that was not caught before putting the hubcap on. Always inspect your work before close-up.

I've got some new info on this tire deal. NWA had a hard time figuring out what was going wrong with these tires because there simply wasn't much left to study. I still don't know for sure how they figured it out but I do have my own speculation. As far as the problem with the tires goes it is a simple mistake on the Mechanics part, an idiotic one I must say. It is apparent that the grease seal tabs were not aligned in the notches of the spacer. The tabs on the spacer are strong enough to hold up to the required torque of the axle nut but do not stand a chance of supporting the bearing on a moving aircraft. Once the tabs fail the tire is free to move inboard and out board on the axle till it has effectively beat the shet out of the bearings. Then it is free to slide past the axle nut and out run the aircraft. I have never seen this done before but there has to be a noticeable gap between the grease seal and spacer of at least an eighth of an inch. It is indeed shameful that that was not caught before putting the hubcap on. Always inspect your work before close-up.
see there, I told you so that the scabs arent up to doing the job properly. Only the real mechanics, you know, the unionized ones, wouldnt of screwed up on the tires. It is a know wonder that NWA is an UNSAFE airline.

see there, I told you so that the scabs arent up to doing the job properly. Only the real mechanics, you know, the unionized ones, wouldnt of screwed up on the tires. It is a know wonder that NWA is an UNSAFE airline.
:lol: :lol: Wrong again Robbed. Losing DC-9 tires is not new to NWA. It has happened many times before and on AMFA's watch. I am sure it has happened at other carriers that fly the 9 as well.

actually, I dont recall reading anything like that. As long I remember working USAIR's DC-9s, we didnt have any tire blows. The only reason Scab Air is having them is due to the SHODDY MAINTAINCE they currently have

:lol: :lol: Wrong again Robbed. Losing DC-9 tires is not new to NWA. It has happened many times before and on AMFA's watch. I am sure it has happened at other carriers that fly the 9 as well.

If this was a common occurrence and had happened "many times" as you so boldly state, there would've been an AD submitted by the FAA to address the situation. I propose these are isolated events known specifically to NWA SCAB maintenance failing to follow proper procedures.

As far as the problem with the tires goes it is a simple mistake on the Mechanics part, an idiotic one I must say.

Kinda like using a calibrated torque wrench for a pry bar is an idiotic one as well.

Always inspect your work before close-up.

Finally a post that we can all agree upon.

If this was a common occurrence and had happened "many times" as you so boldly state, there would've been an AD submitted by the FAA to address the situation. I propose these are isolated events known specifically to NWA SCAB maintenance failing to follow proper procedures.

I can almost agree with you on this one local but I don't see where an AD would be of any help. There is not a design flaw in the wheel/axle assembly nor is there an AMM procedure issue. It is a pay attention to detail issue by the individual mechanics. Some type of awareness training, which is what is being done here but I wouldn't go so far as to say an AD should have been issued. I am sorry to say local that this is not a solely related to Scabs issue.

Kinda like using a calibrated torque wrench for a pry bar is an idiotic one as well.
Exactly like that.

Finally a post that we can all agree upon.

It takes a lot of calibrated mishaps and failures to actually bring a jetliner down. They are simply some well-built dependable machines. But it doesn't take much to create an ODI event. Which is bad enough for all involved especially for the passengers.

Back