Another dedicated AA exec jumps ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company doesn't seem to think Mr. Imhof was underpaid - they say in their claim that 'American has handsomely paid Mr. Imhof'

Gee guys, some good points on both sides...

As much as I'm enjoying the discussion, how 'bout getting back on topic before the moderator takes a chainsaw to this thread the way others which drift into exec compensation have been slashed?....

I like how retention bonuses only retain the "Key talent" until the pay off. I know its not called a retention bonus, but eventually the ass gets a hold of the carrot. In this gentleman's case he deserves another reward too. I like to call it a, "ID10T" form. That and we could all pitch in and buy him a really nice thumb drive. This guy has an MBA, right?

I agree this guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed....and if you read the brief, they say they had evidence of him saving files to an "external drive", which I can only assume it was a thumb drive.

If they have evidence of him stealing property/data from AA, he could face time in the greybar hotel :eek:

I like how retention bonuses only retain the "Key talent" until the pay off. I know its not called a retention bonus, but eventually the ass gets a hold of the carrot. In this gentleman's case he deserves another reward too. I like to call it a, "ID10T" form. That and we could all pitch in and buy him a really nice thumb drive. This guy has an MBA, right?

No, I don't believe he's got an MBA, but he's no idiot. I knew him personally and professionally years ago and if the news on him is accurate I'm pretty surprised. But I'm not one to believe everything I read on the internet or in the news anyway.

Regardless of the outcome, hopefully this will be a wakeup call for AMR on what goes on with regard to email...

If it's so damn confidential, treat it as such, and don't put out a 115 page powerpoint and email it to people.

15 years ago, we'd never get a document like that in email. Numbered binders would be passed out at the start of a meeting, and they'd be collected afterward.

AA loses Imhof case; massive management failure to blame

In denying AA's application for a preliminary injunction:

The ever eloquent Judge Kaplan wrote that he was skeptical American's case could be made since Imhof did not sign a noncompete agreement. "If American were as deeply concerned about the risk of Mr. Imhof going to work for a competitor as it now professes, it had the means to prevent it," the judge wrote. "It could have offered Mr. Imhof an employment contract containing a reasonable covenant against post-employment competition. Had it done so, and had Mr. Imhof accepted, American would not be in the position of which it now complains."

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/digestTAL.jsp?i...Former_Employee

Ouch.

And now, I'm guessing there will be a push to (finally) put middle management on employment contracts, complete with NDA's and non-competes with a little more teeth in them than the current terms of employment.

Problem is, if you want non-competes that are enforceable, you also have to be willing to pay out the term of the non-compete to those people. If you don't pay them to do nothing, the non-compete is somewhat unenforceable, since you also can't deny someone who elects to leave your employ the ability to earn a suitable living.

And I have no doubt there will be a subsequent outcry from the unionistas about how management is suddenly getting preferential treatment and contracts...

And I have no doubt there will be a subsequent outcry from the unionistas about how management is suddenly getting preferential treatment and contracts...

All this proves is that AA has no problem sticking it to labor because when it comes to executives, they don't feel the need to get that concrete contract language in place.
With union contracts, it is only reasonable for them to protect themselves and their interests when negotiating. So where did our expert, irreplacebale management team fail when they inked this guy's contract?

This shows that AA puts its executives on a very high platform because no one with that title would ever, could ever, or should ever ever ever screw the company.

You're assuming at his level he had a contract. Officers have contracts, but it's not the norm for Level 6's and below, can't say for certain about Level 8's.

You're assuming at his level he had a contract. Officers have contracts, but it's not the norm for Level 6's and below, can't say for certain about Level 8's.

I don't know what his level was or whether or not he had a contract. My post was referring to those that do have contracts and as to what language was there to prevent one from doing what Imhof did. It sounds to me at this point that the judge doesn't see too much merit in AA's case because Imhof did not sign a noncompete agreement. Seems they dropped the ball either unintentionally or carelessly assuming that he would never do such a thing to his employer.

Funny how they always make sure their best interests are served with union contracts and now they find themselves in a situation where a non-union big shot screwed them over.

Language like this in the complaint makes me think he may have been a PUP/PSP recipient:

Additionally, American has handsomely paid Mr. Imhof through deferred
compensation, performance awards, and stock options. Before receiving benefits from certain
of those awards, Mr. Imhof agreed to safeguard and not to reveal American’s confidential and
trade secret information. Indeed, in reliance upon those agreements, over the course of the past
several years, Mr. Imhof has received substantial compensation that he would not otherwise
have received without those promises.

He signed various confidentiality and nondisclusure agreements:

IMO, major screwup was not demanding a noncompete from him in May, 2005, when he was promoted to the position he held when he resigned.

Well, live and learn. AA used to be a powerhouse at JFK and with its new terminal was poised to continue that lock. Now, not so much.

FWAAA said:
AA used to be a powerhouse at JFK and with its new terminal was poised to continue that lock. Now, not so much.

No, the consultants running the airline these days tout the synergies of connecting hubs and are steering the airline from any flying that doesn't involve connecting in ORD,DFW or MIA.

The terminal at JFK should be called by its proper name, The Maginot Line. American cowers behind it, fearful jetblue or Delta will kick the whole rotten heap over.I'm half expecting to see a special Jet Wire one of these days touting "Peace in our time".

Shame what happened when management let the consultants take over...

Status
Not open for further replies.