Aa Fires Salvo At Dl

Flying Titan

Veteran
Oct 14, 2003
American Airlines to debut NY-Atlanta flights
by Tommy Fernandez
Crains NY Business

Filling the last major gap in its domestic service out of New York City, American Airlines will launch five daily flights out of LaGuardia Airport to Atlanta on June 9.

The Atlanta service will start at $218 round-trip. Three of the flights will be run on American's 140-seat MD80 jets. The other two will use 37-seat Embraer ERJ-135 jets operated by the carrier's regional subsidiary, American Eagle.

"Atlanta is the fifth most important business travel destination out of New York-and the only one we weren't serving," says Charles Imhof, managing director of passenger sales for the greater New York region. "We're just responding to our customers’ demands."

Interesting move. I wonder how DL will respond.

MAH4546 said:
This is like the 20th topic on this route.
[post="272909"][/post]​

Compared to the number of topics dedicated to either AMFA vs. TWU or TWA seniority, this is nothing.....

And it's not like Delta is a small player at LGA, either.

I really don't know how AA expects to be competitive on this route. If they were putting larger aircraft on the route I would understand, but putting puddle jumpers with a couple of MD80s makes no sense at all. This is a total waste of resources.

TheDog2004 said:
I really don't know how AA expects to be competitive on this route. If they were putting larger aircraft on the route I would understand, but putting puddle jumpers with a couple of MD80s makes no sense at all. This is a total waste of resources.
[post="272971"][/post]​

Well, people thought that running RJ's against the US and DL shuttles in LGA-DCA and LGA-BOS was a dumb move as well, yet they're running at an decent average load factor.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Well, people thought that running RJ's against the US and DL shuttles in LGA-DCA and LGA-BOS was a dumb move as well, yet they're running at an decent average load factor.
[post="273040"][/post]​

It was and is a dumb move entrusting that to Eagle.They're lucky any of those flights depart on time...if at all.

Looked at their reliability numbers... :blink:

That forward thinking we exhibited by dumping the 717 is paying off in spades isnt it?

We had the infrastructure to support it in place but we just had to return them to Boeing, who in turn placed them at FL..who in turn ended up deploying some of them into DFW. Whoops! :up:

Not just on the "Faux" Shuttle, but on all of these long lawn dart segments we're expecting people to hop on these days.

DFW-BUF on a CRJ-700? Niiiice...my legs and back ache just thinking about that.
STL-BOS/STL-JFK on a ER135? Sweeeet.
LGA-ATL/LGA-CLT on ER135's? Good Work.

Does Walter Aue or any of the other gods of planning ride RJ's on segments of this length before they decide our passengers will?

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="273040"][/post]​

I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison. All majors have a pretty large presence at both DCA and LGA, and if anything that was the right move to cherry pick passengers who were afraid US Airways was about to fail.

This really is a completely different situation.

TheDog2004 said:
This is a dumb move. Sure I'm going to pick an Eagle RJ over a Delta or AirTran mainline aircraft.
[post="272957"][/post]​

I can't imagine anyone flying Eagle if they had a choice.

LGA Fleet Service said:
It was and is a dumb move entrusting that to Eagle.They're lucky any of those flights depart on time...if at all.

Looked at their reliability numbers... :blink:

That forward thinking we exhibited by dumping the 717 is paying off in spades isnt it?

We had the infrastructure to support it in place but we just had to return them to Boeing, who in turn placed them at FL..who in turn ended up deploying some of them into DFW. Whoops! :up:

Not just on the "Faux" Shuttle, but on all of these long lawn dart segments we're expecting people to hop on these days.

DFW-BUF on a CRJ-700? Niiiice...my legs and back ache just thinking about that.
STL-BOS/STL-JFK on a ER135? Sweeeet.
LGA-ATL/LGA-CLT on ER135's? Good Work.

Does Walter Aue or any of the other gods of planning ride RJ's on segments of this length before they decide our passengers will?
[post="273085"][/post]​

I think that the 717 would have been ideal for the BOS-LGA-DCA routes that eagle flys as well as other routes. It looks like AA was more interested in reducing fleet types.

It all boils down to cost. The 717's might be perfect for certain routes but the cost of running another fleet type might negate the profit of the new route. When it comes to retaining frequent flyers - non-stops do it the best, regardless of aircraft type. If the routes do well I'm sure you will see more mainline between ATL-LGA. I think the new CLT-LGA (5 AE's per day) are selling well. I wouldn't be suprised to see this route going mainline eventually.

We got TWA's 35 717's +15 options when that transaction concluded,everything was already in place;training, maintenance, the works.

Big Don decided to stay with his Dutch Ovens and the 717 went away.Shortly after that the FAA issued an AD for F100 operators that would have required an engine modification costing in the neighborhood of $1 million PER engine IIRC.

So AMR yanks the F100 from the fleet and now you go from a 35 or 50 seat RJ to a 140 seat S80. :blink:

The 717 sips fuel...a big plus in these $50.00+ bbl oil days, it keeps mainline routes mainline and it offers a competitive advantage in markets where the competion is running RJ's.

Never mind what keeping the 717 in the fleet could have done for STL and the people that worked there.