Another dumb idea

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
All music was eliminated from the narrowbody fleet effective March 3rd. So now we have low-fare carriers offering full TV and music, other majors giving free headsets for entertainment on flights of all lengths, and here we are giving out plastic cups in first class and nothing to listen to but the Jurassic Park gathering in the galley. Whats next? Maybe we can remove the pillows and blankets again, or even bolt the windowshades shut. I can just picture the press release: We have found that our passengers enjoy paying higher fares to study thier safety instructions card and familiarize themselves with our modern Airbus fleet;
15.gif'']

Welcome to the new USAirways. I had the luxury of sitting in row 30C tonight on my flight home to PIT from LGA. I really enjoyed listening to one of the female flight attendants *****ing the entire trip. What did you complain about?? Basically anything and everything. Guess she didn't learn from her momma that if you have nothing better to say it's best to keep your mouth shut.

Too bad I didn't have head phones to drown her out.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/5/2003 11:31:22 PM DELLDUDE wrote:

next time take a bus.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I already did......it's called USAIRWAYS !! You guys don't differenitate yourselves against any other airline out there. I read in the USA Today that now U is going to test meal purchases on selected flights. U is johnny come lately to the game. UA lowered business fares recently, has U done this? NO! U has a terrible marketing division. There is no forward thinking vision in your company. If it wasn't for a loyal group of PAX and the fact the I live in a hub city, believe me I would start flying another airline.

Ah but your management doesn't seem to care about you or your PAX. But for some reason your PAX cares about you and U. God only knows why.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif']

Thanks Light Years I had not heard about this brilliant move. I was on a Shuttle flight on Monday (first day of our new "Cost-Saving" move) and unaware. I grabbed a headset at the gate as I always do but "No Music". Fox News came on and there was audio on Channel 1/2 and after the presentation again "Silence" on all channels. I did not want to bother our hard working F/A's as this was a busy short leg for them. At least now I know why there was silence, thanks again for this post.

tvlr64- despite what you might think from this board, the majority of our employees have a great pride in ourselves and our company- because it is OUR company, not mgmts. if it was up to us, we would differentiate ourseleves from the others by offering a consisient, superior service. we strive for this every day, but mgmt makes it hard for us by taking away valuable tools. please use your comment card in the attache and make your opinions known!!

The company can't afford to have music on their airplanes but they can afford to give Wolf and his two buddies $35 Million.What a fu##### JOKE !!!!

You have to admit, our marketing department has NEVER been the leader (except to $crew the passengers like the change fee, standby fee etc)just a follower.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/6/2003 9:10:44 AM skyflyr69 wrote:

Looks like the other airlines are following Usairways LEAD concerning big spenders. Continental, Delta, UAL now put big spenders ahead of the frequent fliers says the Wall street Journal!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Sure, but the pool of big spenders has shrunk, and they are a pretty inelastic bunch, in terms of spend (eg, they will spend the same amount regardless of the intangible benefits).

I'm a small spender. I probably spent less than $20k last year with U, but $6k of that was my own coin. I'm on pace to spend well under $2k of my own coin and $5k total this year, by virtue of the fact that U has done nothing to rationalize fares, and OA have shown that they _want_ my business, not _tolerate_ me as a cockroach.

The airline business is about driving incremental revenues. U is currently failing miserably.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/6/2003 7:34:54 AM Hope777 wrote:

You have to admit, our marketing department has NEVER been the leader (expect to $crew the passengers like the change fee, standby fee etc)just a follower.
-------------------------------------------

Well then; It’s time to hand them bonuses and layoff some more dedicated employees, this seems to be the normal course of business. Then Dave will appear and make statements such as: we realize this is a painful and hard choice, but a necessary one.

Handing out bonuses to incompetence while royally screwing the pilots along with every other employee group doesn't require a genius to see the fruits these actions reap. When it is all said and done and if this company still stands, the BOD will greatly reward the people who made these HARD choices. Bush is after evil he says, when all he needs to do is look at corporate America and the evil they legally bestow upon the American working class .

Looks like the other airlines are following Usairways LEAD concerning big spenders. Continental, Delta, UAL now put big spenders ahead of the frequent fliers says the Wall street Journal!

Northwest removed headsets from the domestic 48 flights years ago. Sure people complianed for awhile but few people even seem to ask anymore. I don't think our load factors suffered. Northwest no longer uses the video screens for demos anymore either. I would think this is a big cost savings no maintence costs, no headset costs, no fees or royalities to pay, nothing to print in your inflight magazine. As for frequent travelers they usually have their laptops to watch and listen to their own dvd's etc. Unfortunately I don't think you will ever be able to stop the "galley" talk. But loud flight attendants is certainly not a reason to keep audio.

----------------
[/blockquote]
If it wasn't for a loyal group of PAX and the fact the I live in a hub city, believe me I would start flying another airline.
----------------
[/blockquote]
No offense traveler but you and others in Pittsburgh should care about USairways after all if they fail there goes all your non-stops. Sure a few airlines would fill in some of the gaps but no one will go in there and use PIT as a hub. Not to mention that it would surely affect numberous other companies as they decide to relocate to other cities that have better non-stop flights.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/6/2003 11:11:45 AM justanadd wrote:

No offense traveler but you and others in Pittsburgh should care about USairways after all if they fail there goes all your non-stops. Sure a few airlines would fill in some of the gaps but no one will go in there and use PIT as a hub. Not to mention that it would surely affect numberous other companies as they decide to relocate to other cities that have better non-stop flights.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Free clue: business travelers are willing to connect for decent fares. This myth that fortress hubs enjoy bending over and paying outrageous fares for the "privildge" of nonstops is bunk.

I'm CP with USair. I'm elite with two other carriers (CO and AA), and I can tell you that connecting is not the end of the world. And if you think corporations are going to relocate based on the limited number of nonstops that US offers out of PIT, you are out of your mind. The "nonstop myth" lives in the heads of Marketing at US, and Jim Roddey. Roddey has to offer this lip service to please the beast (after all, a few thousand votes depend on it).