Another Embraer Operator

cubfan02us

Sep 10, 2002
From Embraer's website:

3/23/2004
EMBRAER 170 TO FLY FOR REPUBLIC AIRWAYS HOLDINGS

Embraer today announced an order from Republic Airways Holdings for up to 50 EMBRAER 170 airliners. Under the agreement, 13 firm aircraft will begin delivery in the third quarter of 2004. Republic Airways Holdings also holds options on another 37 aircraft of the same model, with 12 to be confirmed by July 1.
Delivery of the 13 firm aircraft will begin in the third quarter and continue through the first quarter 2005. The total value of the firm order at list price is US$ 325 million, with a potential value of US$ 1.25 billion if all options are converted.

These will fly as United Express along with Chautauquas ERJs and Shuttle America's Saabs. As I understand it, Republic will use CHQ flight crews, as the company is set up to get around CHQ's other partner's scope clauses (US, AA, and DL).

This is a positive as it means US wont be the sole North American operator of the type, which helps out for parts and such.

As a matter of interest, Alitalia and LOT Polish are also operating them, I believe LOT has done its first revenue flight. JetBlue and Air Canada will operate the 190 model.

Anyone have a guess as to who will be the next US operator to get them? I could see Northwest or its affiliates looking at the 170/190 family as a replacement for thier Avro and DC9 flying (although they will hold onto those 9s as long as possible as they own them outright). I could also see Continental Express being interested too.

Its nice to see US be the first one to the playing field with a new toy for once. Lets hope they use them effectively (and learn how to market them!)