Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
DJN: =DJ Philadelphia/New Airline -2: Press Conference Thursday
(Dow Jones 02/18 16:29:09)

By Elizabeth Souder
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Another airline will announce on Thursday new service to Philadelphia, just two months after Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) announced it will begin flying there this year.

The Philadelphia International Airport on Wednesday invited reporters to a press conference to be held at 1 p.m. EST Thursday "to announce the start of service at PHL by a new airline."

The airport wouldn't say which airline will begin service to the cheesesteak capital, but Mark Pesce, a spokesman for the airport, said he will issue an advisory at 8:30 a.m. EST Thursday.

The airlines that are expanding their networks and don't yet fly to Philadelphia include JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) and Frontier Airlines Inc. (FRNT). An industry source said JetBlue isn't making the announcement Thursday.

Another possibility is Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc.'s (ACAI) Independence Air, which hasn't yet begun to fly.

(MORE) Dow Jones Newswires
02-18-04 1629ET

After the shenanigans U pulled with the lease deal at Pit, Pennsylvania responded in kind. PA has already said they would promote both airports whether U stayed or not. It seems they are doing what they said they would, it’s called self preservation. Welcome to the party.

Yep, it is Frontier. Just saw a news report. Between WN and now Frontier, yields to many west coast destinations will drop through the floor.

oldiebutgoody,

That will be covered in a forthcoming revision to the ethics manual. Instead of having to get permission to have an outside job, it will be required to have an outside job. That way we can pay them to work here.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
oldiebutgoody,

That will be covered in a forthcoming revision to the ethics manual. Instead of having to get permission to have an outside job, it will be required to have an outside job. That way we can pay them to work here.

Jim
BoeingBoy,

Just in case I haven't said it before? You are my hero Sir ! :up:

flyin2low said:
It's Frontier!
Tell Frontier to bring it on! We kicked Midway's butt into the history books when they invaded Phl a few years back, and we can dish out the same whoopa$$ to Frontier. This company can meet and beat the competition when we are challenged.
Sorry, I momentarily felt good after some positive news in the local paper:))))

UFO said:
Tell Frontier to bring it on! We kicked Midway's butt into the history books when they invaded Phl a few years back, and we can dish out the same whoopa$$ to Frontier. This company can meet and beat the competition when we are challenged.
Frontier is comng, but not in a big way. A flight or 2 to Denver. Not real competition, but a thorn in the side.

USAir did 'whoopa$$' MDW in PHL. That was 1990-92. That was then, this is now. (AAA did not put MDW out of business, the recession's effect on their over expansion into EAL's PHL operation did) Of course the USAir California Shuttle whoopa$$ed SWA in California. That was then, this is now.

USAirways can/will never be successful until they begin to value the employees, treat them with respect, and allow labor to share in successes.

Denver,CO

Cavalier is dead on his assessment about the PA delegation telling Dave to go pound sand.

As I wrote in previous post when Dave and boys were dealing unethically with Rendell he would pay a price. And know you are seeing the beginning of the invasion of Philly, first Southwest and now Frontier.

You can best believe there are more coming!!!

And once again please do not give me that BS about US Air kicking anyone's a## in Philly. All you have to do is look at the balance sheet of southwest and see how long Dave can compete against Herb and Co. Please tell me how in the hell Dave is going to make money when his revenue base will be declining dramatically with these new lower fares set to take effect in May.

Herb can run these fares for years and feel no pain, Dave on the other hand is going to feel tremendous pain after a couple of months of these greyhound fares.

shaka said:
Cavalier is dead on his assessment about the PA delegation telling Dave to go pound sand.

As I wrote in previous post when Dave and boys were dealing unethically with Rendell he would pay a price. And know you are seeing the beginning of the invasion of Philly, first Southwest and now Frontier.

You can best believe there are more coming!!!

And once again please do not give me that BS about US Air kicking anyone's a## in Philly. All you have to do is look at the balance sheet of southwest and see how long Dave can compete against Herb and Co. Please tell me how in the hell Dave is going to make money when his revenue base will be declining dramatically with these new lower fares set to take effect in May.

Herb can run these fares for years and feel no pain, Dave on the other hand is going to feel tremendous pain after a couple of months of these greyhound fares.
MidAtlantic, Star Alliance Member, Over 1 Billion Dollars concessions from employees, Philly may just turn out to be Herb & Companies "Trojan Horse". How's that for BS ? Herb's balance sheet may look a little different in years to come. I wouldn't get too cocky, No one is invincible, Time will Tell.

That is all good and well but at the end of the day you have got to have cash to operate. You can have star alliance, global network, first class and all the other goodies but if your losing money before these guys even stepped into your market what's gonna happen when they arrive.

I hope US Air survives but you have got to be realistic, US Air is not running Southwest out of Philly. US Air must learn to survive with Philly in their hub and figure out other ways to maximize their assets. I have no problems with US Air defending their hub in Philly, I think that's what you have to do.

But plain and simple Southwest has a ton of cash and can go into a market and lose money for a period of time, US Air can not do this. This is simple business fundamentals, so please spare me the rhetoric about Dave running Herb out of Philly, ain't goint to happen. Everyone needs to focus on co-existing with Southwest in Philly cause that ain't going to change no matter what you do!!!!