Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
America West To Seek Buys As Industry Shrinks

By Elizabeth Souder
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
PHOENIX -- America West Holdings Corp. (AWA) Chief Executive Doug Parker said he will "look aggressively" at every opportunity to acquire a rival carrier.

During a press conference Thursday, Parker said he expects the number of low-cost U.S. carriers to winnow down from seven or eight to around two or three. The process will be part of the industry's way of addressing overcapacity, he said.

"We believe we will be one of those, and we will participate in that consolidation," said Parker, who has led the Phoenix carrier since 2001. "We plan to look aggressively at all opportunities that come up."

Parker said acquisitions that would add new routes to America West's network, particularly on the East Coast, might be most appealing to him.

Interesting, there is nothing in here mentioning US Airways.

Now how would the Interim-Director of the AGW purposely mislead the whole board with the title of your thread?

With oil hovering around $50+ a barrel, why spend money on anyone else right now. I think you need to keep your own house in order. I can't see where AWA could come up with $200 MM to even think of buying someone else. At this juncture I don't think that would be prudent. Just my thoughts...........

AWA will have a huge liquidity crisis at end of 05. cash down to less than 70 million by then. this could be a chp 11 filing sooner than Delta.