Us Air Defending Phl Hub Title

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Dow Jones Business News
US Air To Defend Philadelphia Hub Airline Title
Thursday February 19, 5:05 pm ET
By Elizabeth Souder, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--US Airways Group Inc. (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News) will have to go a few more rounds in the ring to defend its title of hub airline in Philadelphia.

ADVERTISEMENT
On Thursday, Frontier Airlines Inc. (NasdaqNM:FRNT - News) announced it will begin service to Philadelphia in May.

Dow Jones Business News Article

Pit,

Sometimes it seems like they have a pretty good "club" going in the MEC office.

Jim

I, like Tim Baker, have to wonder why management isn't using all the tools labor has given them. I see no reason to give more concessions if the company doesn't make use of what they already have in hand.

Jim,

I don't imagine many people are much interested in taking union positions just now. The money certainly isn't there and the aggravation factor is high. No matter what the union officers do, there's going to be plenty of critics on either side.

What really burns me up is that usually the most vocal critics are the ones who don't go to union meetings and can't be bothered to vote. I know one of the reasons Tim was not elected to another term had to do with the MEC not letting the pilots vote on a major issue, after assuring the pilots they would have that opportunity.

I know Tim and he's a dedicated union man. I don't know the details of what goes on in ALPA MEC or LEC meetings but from hearing the talk on the line, it's a no-win situation. I think it's awfully brave of him to stay in the fray.

Dea

Dea,

You're right on many counts - too much work for too few volunteers. And all too often whatever course you take will make half the group mad.

Tim wasn't my rep and I don't know him, but I heard the same as you - apparently he made a promise that he was unable to keep.

Most of the ire I hear about comes from a single complaint. That is not having a membership vote on any of the concessions made during the last two years. The result may have been exactly the same, but not being able to vote tends to focus everyone's fustrations at a small group.

Jim

Latest posts