Any Comments From The Ual On This Article

737nCH11 said:
I realize that this will sound uncaring, but what about terminating A plan contributions to future new hires? It wouldn't do much now, but in the future is would amount to tremendous cost savings.
I believe this is similar to what TWA did during it's 1st or 2nd BK.

Chip Munn said:
As I have said, with new reports the Chicago-based airline is now losing $6 to $6.5 million per day, the airline undecided when it will submit its POR (which is required to be submitted to the court during the 180-day extension period that ends in early December), the huge pension issue, and the inability to obtain exit financing nearly 9 months after filing for its formal reorganization, I have become much more sanguine regarding the company's prospects.
Three questions, Chip:

1.) What new reports? I don't recall seeing anything recently saying that United was "now losing $6 to $6.5 million per day". Please provide a link to any such report(s).

2.) Do you have any valid reason to believe that United would not get approval from the bankruptcy court for another extension of time beyond early December to file its POR if the carrier wanted or needed it?

3.) The assumption in your comment regarding United's supposed "inability to obtain exit financing nearly 9 months after filing for its formal reorganization" is that you know all of the details surrounding the carrier's efforts to obtain such financing as well as the current state of those efforts. Don't you think that's a rather illogical and egotistical assumption for you to make, your "secret" sources notwithstanding? Can you give us any reason to believe that you know as much about United's financing efforts as Tilton, Brace, et. al.?

Cosmo. I thought I would pipe in with a pleasant reminder that even those who had doubts concerning United are now much more on the cheerful side. Whilst scrolling the post before yours I noticed the word "sanguine." was perhaps improperly used. Well, then again perhaps not although I was perplexed by the context. Sanguine of course means among other, cheerful and of a bright disposition. One could even say optimistic. So even with the items mentioned in that post, the writer is still very optimistic and cheerful about United's future.
Glad to see that all are now on board in recognizing the positive trends!!!!

Ukridge, defender of her majesty's English.

[Whilst scrolling the post before yours I noticed the word "sanguine." was perhaps improperly used.]

Or, The context is intended as such in a Freudian slip. In other words - "It brings me great cheer and encouragement that UAL's future exists under a cloud of doubt"

Ukridge said:
defender of her majesty's English.
Keep up the good work Ukridge. :D You're cracking me up! :up: (here in the colonies, that means I'm laughing.)

UKridge,

How often does your company use UAL for it's business travel? Are companies able to negotiate a discount when their employees travel a certain amount?

Regards,

Chip Munn said:
Ukridge:

Ukridge said: "Ukridge, defender of her majesty's English."

Chip comments: I find it interesting that your internet IP address is in Washington, D.C. How can that be?

Regards,

Chip
When did we ban Brits from visiting the US? Maybe a Star FF actually travels internationally. Maybe he immigrated. :rolleyes:

Chip Munn Posted on Sep 3 2003, 03:52 AM
Ukridge:

Ukridge said: "Ukridge, defender of her majesty's English."

Chip comments: I find it interesting that your internet IP address is in Washington, D.C. How can that be?

Regards,

Chip

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :down: No wonder he gets away with this crap all the time......he works here.

Watch out! Those foreigners are at the gates again. Pretty soon they will be in the U.S. to do business, visit relatives, and possible even enjoy holiday. Take these words to be prophetic. If your economy is indeed global, if your airlines offer truck from A to B and B happens to lie on the western side of the Atlantic then there is always the great chance that those pesky disheveled, downtrodden, dulled, and drilled masses will actually perchance alight on those hallowed shores. Busdriver of course asks the pertinent question - do businessmen and women actaully travel on the Star or is it a shell game that is merely moving manequins around the air? Hmm, I pause to ponder. Certainly a situation wrought with vial. Wait, perhaps that is vile. In either case one cannot be sanguine about such events!
Cheers to all

"How often does your company use UAL for it's business travel? Are companies able to negotiate a discount when their employees travel a certain amount?"

737nch11,

Quite a bit. Primarily LH and UAL as when you look at the swath they cover it is quite impressive. Not that we of course go to all those places, but for the firm it fits very nicely into what is needed. BA of course is a favourite but for those within that company that must "triangulate" (i.e. England to Germany to the US or a combination thereof) it is simply easier with Star. Of course the FF miles that are accrued are a great benefit and therefore there is pressure from the traveling staff to be booked on one of the Star carriers.
I could enquire with the travel department as to the discounts. I do not know if there is someone from Star that deals with us or if it is each individual airline that sets the prices. I would well imagine that even a moderate amount of travel would merit discount though frankly I only can speculate

Latest posts