Any flies with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAquila

Senior
Sep 22, 2002
America West tests selling food
PHOENIX (AP) — Airline passengers have long used the boxed meals served on flights as a kind of entertainment, a source of jokes and small talk with fellow passengers. But are they willing to pay for it?
America West Airlines is prepared to find out. In a move that might prompt other cash-strapped airlines to join suit, the nation''s eighth-largest carrier will test a Buy on Board program starting Monday that allows passengers to buy meals costing from $3 to $10.
The meals initially will be sold on about dozen flights a day for three weeks. If the experiment proves successful, America West may begin selling meals on all flights longer than 2.50 hours, said spokeswoman Janice Monahan.
The menu will include a $3 snack box packed with cheese, crackers, nuts, beef jerky and cookies or ice cream. More expensive meals, up to the $10 Chicken Kiev with side dishes and dessert, will be offered.
The program is designed to offset the cost of providing food, not to make a profit, Monahan said. We''re trying to meet customer needs without raising ticket prices.
America West reported its eighth straight quarterly loss in the fall of this year.
Some airlines are considering a similar meal program. Northwest Airlines spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said the carrier is studying the idea of selling food aboard its flights.
Julie King, a spokeswoman for Continental Airlines, said the company is reviewing the idea. The company is figuring out what customers value and are willing to pay for, King said.
Other airlines, including Southwest, United, Delta and American, said Thursday they have no immediate plans to begin selling food.
Southwest Airlines said it does not anticipate changing its offering of peanuts and drinks. The majority of our passengers know that if they''re going to fly Southwest and they''re hungry, they probably should grab McDonald''s before the flight, spokeswoman Angela Vargo said.
American Airlines spokeswoman Tara Batem said the carrier looked into the idea of selling food but determined it would be less expensive to continue its current food service, which cost the company $778 million in 2001.
Airline consultant Michael Boyd said America West should be given credit for trying to do things differently, but in the end, he doesn''t think passengers will applaud the effort.
It''s a noble, worthwhile experiment, he said. But I question whether it might send the wrong message and cheapen the experience.
Boyd said some airlines might jump at the chance to give away more food to attract America West customers.
Others said the effort could improve airplane food.
When you start selling something, it''s got to be better, said industry analyst Terry Trippler.
This is not the first time America West has tinkered with in-flight meals. After the Sept. 11 attacks, the airline discontinued meals on all flights until December 2001, and currently serves meals only on longer flights.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 8:59:25 AM FA Mikey wrote:

Dont like it? Dont take it. Just remember we dont charge you extra for it.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Well, in a sense you do. What else could account for the fact that AA's fares are higher than HP's and the other "discount" carriers? MRTC, I guess, but I can't think of much else. No matter which "full-service" airline I'm flying on, nine times out of ten I would much rather have my $5 back than whatever slop is sitting on the tray in front of me.

What if a movie theater charged an extra $2 for your ticket, then handed everyone a stale box of Goobers [or insert your own least favorite candy here] as they entered the theater? Sure, people would be free to decline them, and they'd be free to buy other stuff at the concession stand, but who would want to go to that movie theater? Think about it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of AA, but let's wait and see how this experiment works before bashing what might be a long-overdue positive innovation in a generally stagnant industry.

[/blockquote]

Well, in a sense you do. What else could account for the fact that AA's fares are higher than HP's and the other "discount" carriers? MRTC, I guess, but I can't think of much else. No matter which "full-service" airline I'm flying on, nine times out of ten I would much rather have my $5 back than whatever slop is sitting on the tray in front of me.

What if a movie theater charged an extra $2 for your ticket, then handed everyone a stale box of Goobers [or insert your own least favorite candy here] as they entered the theater? Sure, people would be free to decline them, and they'd be free to buy other stuff at the concession stand, but who would want to go to that movie theater? Think about it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of AA, but let's wait and see how this experiment works before bashing what might be a long-overdue positive innovation in a generally stagnant industry.
----------------
[/blockquote]

The movie theatre works a bit like a airline. reduced rates on weekday afternoons, full charge evenings and weekends, when most people go. They wont let you bring your own food. You must buy there insanely over priced food and drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.