Any Increases in STL?

Sean

Aug 20, 2002
With the way AA is pulling out of STL has LUV experienced any increases in passengers here? The company I work for has shifted almost all of it''s flying as possible from AA mostly because of the treatment of former TWAers (unless AA has a much cheaper fare of course). I have heard a lot of people saying they will try and fly LUV as much as possible for their personal flying as well. Just wondering if you all are seeing any increases as a result of AA here. If so will there be any plans in the future for LUV to grow here? Seems like it might be a good opportunity for a profitable airline to grow some more.

----------------
On 8/20/2002 2:38:35 PM

With the way AA is pulling out of STL has LUV experienced any increases in passengers here? The company I work for has shifted almost all of it's flying as possible from AA mostly because of the treatment of former TWAers (unless AA has a much cheaper fare of course). I have heard a lot of people saying they will try and fly LUV as much as possible for their personal flying as well. Just wondering if you all are seeing any increases as a result of AA here.

What the??...(sarcasm on) Yeah, it's just terrible the way AA had the gall to keep the TWAers employed, when they were literally just weeks (if not days) from discovering the joys of pounding the pavement looking for new career opportunities...(sarcasm off)

If the LLC malcontents in STL want to turn the locals against AA, so be it. They are just cutting their own throat . . . . very smart. If this is the kind of intelligence that TWA employees and management demonstrate, it's little wonder they failed as a company.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 11:25:02 AM

If the LLC malcontents in STL want to turn the locals against AA, so be it. They are just cutting their own throat . . . . very smart. If this is the kind of intelligence that TWA employees and management demonstrate, it's little wonder they failed as a company.
----------------

Apparently an intelligent conversation can not be had with some people. My posts were not the view of any LLC employee. I'm sure the last thing they want to see is business going to another carrier. Nor am I employeed in any manner by anyone in the aviation industry. There were no "LLC malcontents" involved in this thread. Let me say again. I am referring to public perception in the STL area. "Public" being the people who buy tickets and keep you in business. And just for you Winglet let me be very clear here. No TWA employees or management demonstrated anything here. Go back and continue your sad tirades on the AA board.

----------------
On 8/21/2002 1:15:15 AM

----------------
On 8/20/2002 2:38:35 PM

With the way AA is pulling out of STL has LUV experienced any increases in passengers here? The company I work for has shifted almost all of it's flying as possible from AA mostly because of the treatment of former TWAers (unless AA has a much cheaper fare of course). I have heard a lot of people saying they will try and fly LUV as much as possible for their personal flying as well. Just wondering if you all are seeing any increases as a result of AA here.

What the??...(sarcasm on) Yeah, it's just terrible the way AA had the gall to keep the TWAers employed, when they were literally just weeks (if not days) from discovering the joys of pounding the pavement looking for new career opportunities...(sarcasm off)

----------------

I'm not going to get into the same sad childish exchanges with you that take place on other boards.[:knockout:] The public perception in STL is that the employees of the former TWA are being unfairly targeted for job loss. If enough people choose not to do business with AA then it seems that would mean an increase in business for SWA. That's all I was eluding to in my post.
Have a great day.

It would be counterproductive for STL area folks to up and "boycott" AA because of the bad things that the ex-TWAers are having to go through as a result of the bad economy, Osama bin Laden, etc.. If STL-area people shift their allegiance to other carriers in large numbers, then AA would probably reduce its connecting traffic thru STL, which would add to the downward spiral of AA-related jobs based out of STL... it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Regardless of whether one thinks that AA is unfairly targeting ex-TWAers (which I don't really think that they are), it's in your own interest to choose the carrier that offers you the best combination of price, connections, amenities, affinity programs, etc., whatever is most important to you, whether that be WN, AA or whoever. If you do choose AA, then in a way you are helping to support the return of STL-based AA jobs when the economy permits that to happen.

Based on the current outlook, I'd predict that STL will not be affected dispropotionately in AA's fall service cuts... all of AA's hubs will be affected to some extent. To some extent STL will get a boost because some Midwest cities that are currently served by both Eagle and American Connection are losing their Eagle service, meaning that more of that AA traffic will be routing thru STL (since presently American Connection only feeds STL).

----------------
On 8/21/2002 11:15:31 AM

I'm not going to get into the same sad childish exchanges with you that take place on other boards.[:knockout:] The public perception in STL is that the employees of the former TWA are being unfairly targeted for job loss. If enough people choose not to do business with AA then it seems that would mean an increase in business for SWA. That's all I was eluding to in my post.
Have a great day.
---------------

A) AFAIK I've NEVER had ANY kind of an exchange with you, childish or otherwise...

B) The point I was making was that I am simply amazed, even flabbergasted, that there is such a public perception in the STL area as you claim. I would've thought that at leawst some could see that, without the acquisition, ALL ex-twaers would've been on the street in early '01, which is still far worse than having SOME of them facing layoff a year and a half later. I think the term that applies here is "chutzpah".

C) What does Nelly think about it? Or is he still too busy complaining about the heat...
[:bigsmile:]