Any other FDX stations doing "weather checks"

speedbrake

Sep 9, 2006
What is the deal with these so called "weather checks" and having us do them on the line? Every item on them has nothing to do with weather, at all! If a mech actually did each step as requested the acft would never leave the gate. Are they trying to keep us busy or just attempting to get us to pencile whip stuff to make a "soon to be" heavy check that much easier?
Have you also notice that the priority on the work release is higher than an open mel or A-check? :blink:

What is the deal with these so called "weather checks" and having us do them on the line? Every item on them has nothing to do with weather, at all! If a mech actually did each step as requested the acft would never leave the gate. Are they trying to keep us busy or just attempting to get us to pencile whip stuff to make a "soon to be" heavy check that much easier?
Have you also notice that the priority on the work release is higher than an open mel or A-check? :blink:

yes they do for us aswell,bur never did one, they stopped to asign us with this checks, not enough groundtime and much higher priorities to do. 8 hours is not enough

Hang on there Kev, give me a day and I'll give you some answers. Trust me, it will be worth it. :up:

"Note, all that follows is for study referance only! This is not to be used as mx action on any acft as the following may, and will, contain errors!"
MD-11 Winter wx preperation

ATA 21
(1) check all connectors to pack flow control valves, flow sensors, ram air door actuators, examine ram air door linkage for binding, check flow control valve sense line connections. Perform a functional ck of the airconditioning packs per mm.
ATA 27
(1) lube and inspect the elevators and ailerons per mm.
(2) inspect and perform lubrication of the left and right spoiler mixer lateral control units.
ATA 30
(1) perform funtional check of engine nose cowl anti-ice system. accomplish during engine operation.
ATA 32
(1) perform auto brake system ops check
(2) perform anti-skid system ops check
(3) perform ops check of the intergrated brake control valves per mm. observe brake disc stack actuation during test.
ATA 49
(1) comply with apu inlet & exhaust door flex shaft lube/torque inspection per mm.
(2) comply with apu door actuation system operational check per mm.
(3) comply with apu door actuation system detailed inspection per mm.
ATA 51
(1) during a fuselage pressure decay test, accomplish a detailed inspection of all flight control cable feedthru seals/grommets located within the horozontal pressure panel above the mlg wheel well.
(2) perform a gvi of both l/h & r/h wing-to-fuselage fillet fairing seals.
(3) locate 2 each door assy's located atop main deck floor panels located at aprox sta "X" and check circular seal around door assy for condition/security.
ATA 52
(1) perform detailed inspection/operation/lubrication of all doors. lubricate door seals per mm.

This is being assigned to line stations with live acft that barely have an overnight stay. Needless to say, many staions have ended up with acft down hard from this with recovery acft being sent. Also, anybody familiar with Douglas apu's know that the last thing you want to do with an operational apu is take apart all it's linkage, look at it, and put it back together! Next there will be a growing trend of gate returns with apu door disagree problems.
Strange enough, for a winter prep it doesn't even cover what it needs to. Like window heat checks, wing anti-ice valve checks or leading edge ducting for leaks that cause manifold fail problems on the MD-11. Eng bleed pilot valve heater tape operation/check...I could go on, but there's no need. I'm not really sure what is being accomplished with this but it really IS NOT a winter prep card. :down:

Whoa...That's quite a list; you weren't kidding! Thanks for taking the time to type it out....

I wonder why the things that would make the most sense to check for winter ops *aren't* on there? I guess it's good to know that "things that don't make sense" occur at every carrier. :lol:

Good God! That sounds like a heavy B-check, or a couple of simultaneous phased C's.

Any deferral allowed for what can't be accomplished ( at say a minimally staffed outstation )?

Can't imagine how not....not without a lot of ink ;)

Good God! That sounds like a heavy B-check, or a couple of simultaneous phased C's.

Any deferral allowed for what can't be accomplished ( at say a minimally staffed outstation )?

Can't imagine how not....not without a lot of ink ;)

of course you can defer or oil some items that where bad like corroded plugs or whatever, except for no-go items, but that's understandable and having bad luck

Latest posts

Back