APFA plans pretend strikes on Nov. 18

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
The Association of Professional Flight Attendants said Thursday that the Nov. 18 protests at airports around the country would show that some flights wouldn't operate during a real strike.

"This is only a symbolic demonstration to show management that flight attendants are willing and able to do whatever is necessary to get a fair contract," said union President Laura Glading.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americans-fl...ml?x=0&.v=4

As usual, you are reading something in the article that isn't there. The event on the 18th is nothing more than informational picketing. What Ms. Glading was saying was that if the APFA struck (and it would NOT be a CHAOS style strike) some flights would not operate. That's ALL she was saying. Duh. Some would because they would be crewed by non-union supervisors of which AA has a plethora. But then, a normal person who wasn't blinded by their hate for AA would have probably figured that out on their own. What did AA do to you? Not hire you? Fire you? You can't blame Jane Allen on AA. It was your management that hired her away from AA. There must be some reason why you give AA so much free rent in your head.

Silly. And unprofessional. Why are the FAs going to act like the petulant pilots now? They just came out in support of the Oneworld JBA because it serves their interest. How does scaring passengers with strike threats serve their interest?

As usual, you are reading something in the article that isn't there. The event on the 18th is nothing more than informational picketing. What Ms. Glading was saying was that if the APFA struck (and it would NOT be a CHAOS style strike) some flights would not operate. That's ALL she was saying. Duh. Some would because they would be crewed by non-union supervisors of which AA has a plethora. But then, a normal person who wasn't blinded by their hate for AA would have probably figured that out on their own. What did AA do to you? Not hire you? Fire you? You can't blame Jane Allen on AA. It was your management that hired her away from AA. There must be some reason why you give AA so much free rent in your head.

Jim. I have NEVER had dealings with AA, never applied there and quite frankly never would. My aspiration isn't to fly the S80 the rest of my life. I would love to see you strike (full out) it will show that you will be replaced. You better hope you CHAOS instead, at least for your jobs sake.

We had a a lot of flight attendants that drove home as well. NWA was one airline that really went out of the way for striking flight attendants. I hope you have heard it time and again, and so one more time ThankYou for all the nice things you guys did for our people all over the world.

We had a a lot of flight attendants that drove home as well. NWA was one airline that really went out of the way for striking flight attendants. I hope you have heard it time and again, and so one more time ThankYou for all the nice things you guys did for our people all over the world.

It is a different day and time people, wake up... you are not living in the 80 and 90's .... Face facts, you are VERY EASILY REPLACEABLE.... YOUR JOB DOES NOT REQUIRE ANYTHING BUT 5 DAYS MAX, IN TRAINING. LESS THAN BK OR McDs... FACE FACTS!!!

Silly. And unprofessional. Why are the FAs going to act like the petulant pilots now? They just came out in support of the Oneworld JBA because it serves their interest. How does scaring passengers with strike threats serve their interest?

Oh those silly, silly flight attendants!!! Unprofessional? You need to check your dictionary on the meaning. Strikes are the only course of action a union has and it is the only way to spur the company into action. We have been negotiating with American Airlines for over a year and the only thing we can seem to agree on are our uniforms. We have not been able to get a proposal on wages and benefits and the company seems to be happy stringing negotiations out.

Besides, we are informational picketing on the 18th and it will be a real test for the APFA membership. This event is all about showing our unity and resolve to reach an agreement. It is way too premature to talk about a strike threat when we don't even know what we would be striking over.

YOUR JOB DOES NOT REQUIRE ANYTHING BUT 5 DAYS MAX, IN TRAINING.
Not so. When I was recalled in 2007, never having worked under the AA certificate since the acquisition of TWA, it took three and a half weeks to train us on the MD80, 737, 757 and 767. The training was as short as AA could get away with, since they didn't want to spend any more money than necessary to get us on the line.

AA could operate a handful of flights with supervisors and scabs, but it would take weeks to get anyone else out there.

In contrast, in 1986 TWA had 1800 replacements already trained and in position, and pumped out another thousand before the strike ended. AA has no one ready.

But don't worry; there won't be a strike.

MK

As an AA FF flyer and supporter of AA FA's, I must say I disagree with the Union on this one. You want your customers on your side. This has the look of junior high school and not very professional. It hurts the profession as a whole.

Mock strikes only encourage the FA's to be mocked.

I seem to recall 5 or 8 days as the bare minimum for a single fleet type to do evacs... the TW transition training was for multiple fleet types, plus meal services.