Arpey''s Turnaround Plan Announced

DLFlyer31

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Remember too, that AA is dumping the F100''s which have MRTC. What will be replacing the F100? On most routes I suspect it will be the CRJ700 which has no MRTC either, so in reality even a greater proportion of the AA fleet will be MRTC-less in the future.

It''s disappointing as MRTC was really a nice product. Unfortunately, despite what some diehards might say, most people are not willing to pay extra for it.

As for the fare structure on JFK-Southern California, there''s nothing really new there. Just copying the fare structure of JBLU.

----------------
On 5/21/2003 8:53:58 AM JS wrote:

FINALLY! See, I told you MRTC was a crock.

----------------​
You may be right - but if you are, then why is it only being eliminated on 757s and A-300s? As the release says, 75% of the fleet representing 80% of the departures will still feature it (for now).

This news sucks.

Well, one more thing to keep track of - no flights on 757s.

The more seats you have the better the ASM cost looks. Regardless if they are full or not.

It is not covering up a mistake. MRTC was the right thing to do at the time. You cannot use hindsight to judge decisions.

----------------
On 5/21/2003 8:58:26 AM FWAAA wrote:

You may be right - but if you are, then why is it only being eliminated on 757s and A-300s?
----------------​
Because this is the American Airlines way of rolling back mistakes - don''t just come out and admit it, just continually pare it back (and claim victory all the way) until nobody realizes that it''s gone. It''s the same concept as the Reno (dis)integration.

Great. No TV or MRTC on 757s or A-300s. What, exactly, would cause these leisure travelers to choose AA??

After all, by definition, they are not frequent business flyers or mileage/status junkies (like me).

Maybe AA will be the only choice left once B6 sells out its seats on competing markets.

This news sucks.

Arpey has no plan - this is evidence of flailing before the drowning.

Two sacred cows down, a few left to go... see bolded text below...

FOR RELEASE: Wednesday, May 21, 2003

AMERICAN AIRLINES CHARTS COURSE FOR BRIGHTER FUTURE

CEO Arpey Unveils Turnaround Plan at Annual Meeting

FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines, which has grown
to become the world’s largest airline, today unveiled
a plan to preserve its legacy of network strength,
providing customers with the services they value and
ensuring its long-term competitiveness.

With $4 billion in the process of being removed from
our cost structure, American Airlines is going to be a
leaner, stronger and more agile competitor, American
president and chief executive officer Gerard Arpey
told shareholders at the company’s annual meeting.

He used this year’s event, as the new CEO of the
airline, to unveil a four-pronged approach to
accelerating the company’s return to profitability.
American’s Turnaround Plan derives its strength from
four key principles:

- Lower costs to compete
- Fly smart by giving customers what they value
- Pull together, win together
- Build a financial foundation for American’s future

The airline’s leadership team wanted to crystallize
our strategic vision into a crisp, easy to understand
plan, Arpey said, that puts some context around all
of our activities and more importantly, to provide a
framework for the decisions we make going forward.

The $4 billion in cost savings serves as the
foundation of American’s Turnaround Plan, enabling the
carrier to compete more effectively in the new
aviation marketplace.

Arpey said that a number of initiatives – some large
in scale, some a little less grand – will be rolled
out as the airline puts the Turnaround Plan into
action.

Wasting no time, American announced two initiatives
designed to compete more effectively with low-cost
carriers and to more closely tailor American’s wide
range of premium services to the markets that value
them.

The first initiative falls under the first tenet of
the plan: Lower costs to compete.

Effective immediately, American is charging no more
than $299 for coach seats on nonstop flights between
New York’s JFK airport and selected California cities.

The $299 coach fare is the highest coach fare that
our customers are paying for tickets bought today on
nonstop flights from JFK to Long Beach, Orange County
and San Jose, Arpey said. What’s more, our first
class fare is now $599 on the nonstop flights.

He said the carrier is making it crystal clear that
customers can find both low fares and substantially
more service – first class seating, AAdvantage® miles,
Admirals Club® facilities, more flights at convenient
times and more connection opportunities – on American
Airlines.

New print advertising rolling out the $299 fare will
begin appearing tomorrow in the New York City
metropolitan area, the Los Angeles metropolitan area
and in California’s Bay Area. A television
advertising campaign will follow shortly.
These fares do not include applicable taxes, passenger
facility charges or other fees.

The second initiative flows directly from the second
tenet of the Turnaround Plan: Fly smart by giving
customers what they value.

American will also be reintroducing standard seating
to 23 percent of its fleet so that it can offer
competitive fares across more seats in leisure and
vacation markets. The new pitch will ultimately be
found on all of the carrier’s 140 Boeing 757 and 34
Airbus A300 aircraft.

We are still retaining our popular More Room
Throughout Coach product on more than 75 percent of
our fleet, which translates into approximately 80
percent of our daily departures, Arpey said. I also
want to be clear that we are not creating an
airline-within-an-airline because we don’t believe a
successful formula for that concept yet exists. We
are simply returning to standard seating in those
markets where customers tell us price – and seat
availability at low prices – is predominantly how they
choose a carrier.

The fleet reconfiguration will begin this fall, with
A300s to be finished in time for winter holiday travel
to the Caribbean in December. The Boeing 757s, which
fly a variety of markets in the U.S., will be finished
in mid-February 2004. The work will be done at the
carrier’s Tulsa maintenance base.

The third tenet of the plan – Pull together, win
together – has been a major focus of the new CEO
since day one. He has taken time, whenever possible,
to meet with employees, listen to their concerns and
answer their questions.

Today, Arpey thanked American employees for the
contributions they have made during the past two years
to help the airline survive and to enable this new
competitive spirit of compete versus retreat.

Despite our difficulties as a company, I am more
impressed than ever with the team we have, he told
shareholders. Our people have gone through a
tumultuous restructuring, and they demonstrate over
and over again how much they love this airline.
Arpey shared that an important part of our ‘pull
together, win together’ initiative will be making sure
– through the use of stock options, profit sharing and
incentive plans – that each member of the team has a
personal stake in the airline’s success.
American’s Turnaround Plan is being debuted to
employees across the network today through a series of
communications. Arpey and other senior officers will
be visiting employees around the system in the weeks
and months ahead to offer more insight into the
airline’s future.

The final tenet of the plan – Build a financial
foundation for our future – also provides a succinct
overview of its main goal.

By lowering costs, flying smart and pulling together,
we will be laying the groundwork for the future,
Arpey said. But it is also an acknowledgement that
we cannot build that future if we don’t generate
enough earnings and cash flow to restore our balance
sheet.

He pledged to shareholders, customers and employees
that the airline’s leadership team is committed to
dramatically improve the profitability of our
business and that goal will be at the forefront of
every decision we make.

American Airlines is the world’s largest carrier.
American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection
regional carriers serve more than 250 cities in 41
countries and territories with approximately 4,300
daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers
more than 1,100 aircraft. American’s award-winning
Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to
check and book fares, plus personalized news,
information and travel offers. American Airlines is a
founding member of the oneworld alliance.

###

GET A GREAT LOW FARE. AND A LOT MORE AIRLINE.
AMERICAN AIRLINES

Current AMR Corp. news releases can be accessed via
the Internet.

Personally, I think this is a really bad plan, for a number of reasons:

1) MRTC is an excellent product. It helps alleviate the "cattlecar" mentality of a lot of the OA. If you are over 5''10" or so, it''s pretty damn tough to get comfortable in a non-MRTC seat. Unless they are going to shuffle around those 757 a/c to just the leisure routes, you will have a lot of annoyed people.

2) Why are we keeping the A300''s anyway? Get rid of another fleet type! They don''t fit with anything else we have in our nice Boeing fleet. And they are turbulence magnets. Get shed of them!

3) It''s nice to see them attempting a pass at value pricing at least, but is this actually going to generate additional revenue? Or are these going to be more "loss leader" flights? It looks like we are the ones playing catch-up.

Sigh. Only time will tell. I hope Arpey & Co. are right...

TANSTAAFL

If MRTC goes out of the MD80/737 fleet...this frequent flyer will have absolutely no reason to choose AA over the other airlines. I''m 6''2" and I appreciate the extra room. Without that....I might as well fly on any stinkin'' cattle car offered by any third rate airline. Southwest is looking better and better to me everyday.

I hate to break it to everyone, but the only reason AMR didn''t file for Chapter 11 last month was to give Arpey a chance to "steer" the ship and give the company some strategic direction for a short period of time before the company goes bankrupt. This is that direction.

I actually like what Arpey had to say, and I think Arpey is a very capable leader. My views on his four bullet points, for what it''s worth:

1. Lower costs to compete. No-brainer.

2. Fly smart - give customers what they value. This is one area where our previous leadership missed the mark.

MRTC was a bad move to begin with. Let''s see. It cost in the neighborhood of $70 to $80 million to throw millions in revenue out the window (or, perhaps more accurately, to throw it to OUR COMPETITORS). The benefits - a "premium" coach product that very few passengers are willing to pay for anyway, plus a bit of fuel savings due to reduced weight. Okay, okay. I''ll even admit that I liked having a couple extra inches on non-rev trips. Undoing MRTC (or at least part of it) is a good start, but unfortunately, there are significant upfront costs to doing that as well. Where is AMR getting the extra cash to pay for this? Unless this work can be attached to regular "C" checks or something like that, this is another non-trivial incremental cash outlay in a time where cash is king.

3. Pull together, win together. The "people" side of things - absolutely critical in this business. AMR has employee relations that can only be described as bad. I think they are bad at most major airlines, and I''m not sure if AMR is really worse than most of its competitors in this area. But it can''t be denied that this is a people business - and there are huge intangible benefits associated with having a happy (or at least satisfied) work force. Better productivity. Better customer service. Better collective decisions due to better teamwork. Unfortunately, building better employee relations is easier said than done. Then again, if anyone can make strides in this direction, I''d say it''s Arpey.

4. Build a financial foundation for our future. This is another area where the previous management team (obviously) missed the ball. Yes, I know, all other major hub-and-spoke airlines are struggling. But AMR went from arguably the best financially positioned airline just three short years ago to clearly the worst once US Air and United emerge from bankruptcy. Carty never met a capital expenditure he didn''t like. Either that or he just had a hard time saying no to his direct reports. Regardless, AMR wasted A TON of cash on his watch. And I''m not just talking about the stock buyback or the TWA purchase, although valid arguments can be made against both of those. I''m talking about millions of dollars for new deicing equipment, or new jumpseats, or terminal facility enhancements when the company is bleeding red ink. I''m talking about growing the ITS department by a factor of 10 after the Sabre spin-off. I''m talking about adding CSMs and Operational Coordinators out the yin-yang. I''m not saying any of these things are inherently bad. But there is a time when circumstances allow for these things and there is a time to simply put your foot down and say "I''m sorry but this is not an operational necessity and we just can''t afford to do this right now." I never, ever once saw Carty do that.

The bottom line for this company right now is this: employee give-backs, while significant, are simply too late. The revenue picture, while improving slowly, is still simply too ugly to keep this thing afloat. The cash flow projections that dicatated $1.8 billion in labor savings were premised on ASMs being approximately flat to 2002 and RASM being up 6% to 7%. Alas, it''s just not happening. ASMs are down about 9% to 10%, and RASM is also down versus 2002. Not good. Not good at all. To make matters worse, much of the cost savings (both the $1.8 billion in annual labor savings and the $2 billion in operational-related cost savings) take time to realize, and it''s time that AMR simply does not have.

I wish it wasn''t true (believe me, in my job it will have a significant impact on my quality of life), but it is reality. We''ll be in bankruptcy court by summer''s end. I admire our senior leadership''s desire and drive to keep us out of bankruptcy, but I think most in the know realize that it''s pretty futile right about now.

The cost of removing seats and re-configuring aircraft was not cheap. I would imagine that putting them all back isn''t going to help the balance sheets either!

I see a few contradictions here. Many people here have stated that the passenger only cares about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So if that''s the case who cares about MRTC or TV? If AA can get keep its fares low (albeit at the expense of its employess) then the pax will fly AA. The other contradicition I see here is that AA is finally not admitting that MRTC was a mistake by stressing that more seats will enable low fares. I suppose AA waited for a near bankruptcy position just "not" to admit that MRTC was a crock. I have spoken to quite a few revenue passengers who have commented that it was nice to have some legroom. I myself have flown in coach and it is not that bad as it once was.