US cuts all PIT-Florida flights

I fly PIT-MCO for vacation 2 or 3 times a year, I can't remember the last time I flew it on US. Even when I was giving US most of my business travel, I flew SW for vacation. Before SW came in, I flew AirTran. The US price was always way higher for this route. Plus with SW, I didn't have to worry about cancellation fees, if the price went down (which it often did), I got a credit for the next trip.

The departure and arrival levels at PIT have definitely tilted in the other direction. It used to be most of the cars were on the US end, now it's on the other end. The former US curbside check is boarded up.

I fly PIT-MCO for vacation 2 or 3 times a year, I can't remember the last time I flew it on US. Even when I was giving US most of my business travel, I flew SW for vacation. Before SW came in, I flew AirTran. The US price was always way higher for this route. Plus with SW, I didn't have to worry about cancellation fees, if the price went down (which it often did), I got a credit for the next trip.

The departure and arrival levels at PIT have definitely tilted in the other direction. It used to be most of the cars were on the US end, now it's on the other end. The former US curbside check is boarded up.
This is a good example of a passenger always choosing the lower priced carrier. It'll be interesting to see if prices actually go up after US leaves the market.

Another move to show how truly stupid this management is...that's right, let's cut flights that are ABSOLUTELY PACKED and connect these people through PHL when they could get on a competitor and get there in less than 1/2 the time for most likely less money-----uh, huh--we won't lose their business. Do they think about what to say before opening their mouths ??? never mind, I just answered my own question.

Put the airplanes where they'll generate the best yield......One day Allegheny County will be walling off a concourse in PIT.....just like it was done in DAY

One day Allegheny County will be walling off a concourse in PIT.....just like it was done in DAY

I believe this has already been done on the ends of A & B con.

As for pulling out of the Florida direct markets, just another example of U's management turning and running away from any form of competition. Supposed to be a low cost carrier(LCC) my A**. Very seldom out of Pit are U's prices the lowest, many times not even close!! Funny how some of the other carriers are not leaving.....

Think it was one of Siegel's now famous quotes..."Their coming to Kill Us"....guess this current management team is taking a notice and running.......

Just as an example - a friend of mine called and wanted to use a buddy pass to go to FLL out of PIT in Oct. I recommended buying a ticket, since it was so far in advance and loads are so unpredictable. Traveling on Monday, returning on Saturday the US prices was 278.00 round trip. Delta - with a connection in JFK or ATL, fare 168.00......yes 168.00 roundtrip - all taxes and PFC's included. (base fare 120.00 - 60.00 in each direction). Who is going to pay 278.00 for a non-stop on US vs paying 168.00 on Delta? AriTran was the next lowest price at 221.00 and WN topped the chart at 319.00.

Sorry, but it is very easy to fill planes at 168.00 round trip - but you are going to lose your a$$.

My theory, put the planes where they are going to make money and save my job, not appease some whiney city. I dont' think you can get a buddy pass for 168.00!

Sorry, but it is very easy to fill planes at 168.00 round trip - but you are going to lose your a$$.

My theory, put the planes where they are going to make money and save my job, not appease some whiney city. I dont' think you can get a buddy pass for 168.00!

You're absolutely right. And that's one of the points I was trying to make. If you're going to lose your kiester on a $168.00 fare to Florida, then that fare should not be available.

The demand for flights to the warmer climes from the northeast is there. Always has been. Always will be. In fact, it's probably stronger nowadays, since people are so accustomed to flying for less than it costs to go to dinner and a Broadway show.

And if the fares are raised to at least what it costs to provide the service, plus make a buck or two, there will still be enough people wanting to go badly enough that they will pay what it costs to get there. Especially now that they are used to going every year.

Parents are still going to bring their hyperactive kids to see Mickey (and be seated in the row directly behind me). Daddy is still going to bust out the Gold Card so his little Princess can go to Cancun on Spring Break.

And as for the people who can barely afford that $168 fare, but will go anyway because they can't afford not to; well, why should the airline subsidize their vacation to Disney World? It's a business, not a bloody charity. Let somebody else transport them for that fare, and lose their kiester in the process.

Remember when cable TV first appeared? It cost around 15 bucks a month. Now that everybody can't live without it (and the accompanying high-speed Internet), most people's cable bills are north of a hundred bucks a month. But how many people have said to hell with that, I'm not paying, come disconnect me?

Not many. People want it, and so they will continue to begrudgingly pay for it. It's the same with air travel. Yes, there will be a learning curve because since the "Welfare Airfare" wars in the summer of '92, they've been used to getting it for next to nothing.

The other point you made brings up another thing that I don't understand.

Take the example of the $168 flight from PIT to FLL via JFK. Delta has to use two airplanes, two flight crews, and three ground stations and personnel to get your friend to Florida. That doesn't include the fuel used approaching and departing JFK at lower altitudes, and many more minutes taxiing in and out of the gate. And in the wintertime, throw in a couple of thousand bucks for de-icing at each station.

And after incurring all of that expense, they're charging 110 bucks less to transport that passenger than the non-stop that was operated at a much lower seat-mile cost? Granted, Delta is trying to scoop a customer away from US Airways at the latter's focus city (I almost said "hub", but caught myself); and there needs to be an incentive to entice the customer away from the more convenient non-stop; but the Delta suit who came up with that fare would be better served walking down to Peachtree Center and giving a 168 bucks to a homeless person.

And I'm willing to bet that the US non-stop to FLL goes out full, if not oversold. And loses money.

(BTW, the original subject of this thread was the current management's decision to end non-stop flights from PIT to Florida. In the interest of fairness, it was not the current management that decided to cut out all the non-stops from NYC and BOS to Florida. IIRC, it was Gangwal that decided that every airplane departing a northeast airport heading south must stop in PHL.

I actually had hope that the new, young management team in Tempe, who are especially attuned to the leisure market, would have seen that and thought, "Wow, these guys don't even fly from New York or Boston to Florida! What knuckleheads! No wonder Philly is a horror show in the winter!"

Alas, three years later... )

Who is going to pay 278.00 for a non-stop on US vs paying 168.00 on Delta?
Me......I always paid more for the convenience of non stop flights, and with the prices US used to charge, it was usually pretty significant. One thing to consider also is the quantity of trips. There are a lot of us who take 1, 2 or 3 vacation trips a year, but maybe 20, 30 or 40 business trips a year. These trips are where non stops are usually more important and generally more expensive.

Who is going to pay 278.00 for a non-stop on US vs paying 168.00 on Delta?

On the other hand, take a visit to the airport on the day of departure and try and non rev on that $278 flight from Pit to Florida, think you will find its sold out and they are working on a denied boarding list. Wait....maybe that is it!!!! U is tired of giving away tickets on those full flights!! People still have to travel and will be forced to pay the extra $$ when the chep seats are gone.

With the older and least fuel efficient airplanes being retired, schedule adjustments will be made systemwide, a lot of which won't make sense. It's not just PIT's schedule.
But while we're on the subject, a Chaimans Preferred member was telling me what a ghost town PIT has become and he summed it all up with the statement "I'll never figure out why Allegheny County chased you guys out of town, that airport deserves to die"

Of course, I'm paraphrasing since I can't remember his exact words but reflects the sentiments of many other PIT business travellers