ATL and CLT

Jan 11, 2006
Just wondering if SWA is going to start service to ATL and CLT since those cities are extremely dominated by certain carriers...

Just wondering if SWA is going to start service to ATL and CLT since those cities are extremely dominated by certain carriers...
I think based on their previous decisions that ATL or CLT would be unlikely, more likely would be GSP as it is only a two hour drive from either, has a very large base of industry and is directly accessed from I-85, and has room for expansion.Even Chattanooga could be a consideration instead of ATL, although a remote chance.(It's closer to growing north Georgia timewise to ATL airport in rush hour)And WN isn't going to want to wait in line with rows of DL and FL departures in ATL or US in Charlotte.

I think based on their previous decisions that ATL or CLT would be unlikely, more likely would be GSP as it is only a two hour drive from either, has a very large base of industry and is directly accessed from I-85, and has room for expansion.Even Chattanooga could be a consideration instead of ATL, although a remote chance.(It's closer to growing north Georgia timewise to ATL airport in rush hour)And WN isn't going to want to wait in line with rows of DL and FL departures in ATL or US in Charlotte.
They go to PHL but the profit they make there must be worth it with the delays. If it was between CLT and ATL, I would think CLT. FL is not a major competitor there, in the respect of amount of flights. In ATL they would have to fight FL with fares and DL with frequencies. That is something that would hurt WN in entering ATL. Easy to battle 1 dominent foe than 2.
MEM, CLT, CVG, and RIC are the contenders for the next WN city. But that won't be until 2008, I predict. 2007 will see service between current cities, PHL will be built up more come this fall as they will be getting 4 more gates.

In the ATL scenario, WN got "ran out of town" by DL, never to return again.(Ditto SFO)

The MSP situation is similiar, being that those 2 cities do NOT have 2nd nearby airports, like ORD/MDW...DFW/DAL...IAH/HOU.
To their credit, their PHL/LAX operations are a success.

CLT "should be" a NO-Brainer for them.

NH/BB's

I do not believe WN ever served ATL. I believe you are thinking B6. B6 served ATL when they 1st started up but withdrew quick.
Only reason WN left SFO was because airport mgmt pissed them off by raising terminal fees so they went across the bay to OAK....landing delays during inclement wx were also a factor.

They go to PHL but the profit they make there must be worth it with the delays.
I don't know about the rest of the system but arrivals in LAS from PHL we don't see to many delays.

Only reason WN left SFO was because airport mgmt pissed them off by raising terminal fees so they went across the bay to OAK....landing delays during inclement wx were also a factor.
OAK was already established when SFO closed. If I remember correctly every flight I ever worked from SFO was always late...

GSP is a terrible idea. It's a redneck town; so what if it's halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte? ATL and CLT have competitive fares as it is, and no one is going to drive two hours to GSP to catch a flight.

I don't know about the rest of the system but arrivals in LAS from PHL we don't see to many delays.
They pad the schedule out of PHL pretty much. Since when does it take 5 Hrs 50 min. to Fly to LAS. If they happen to leave on time they just fly slower then to land near ontime, while the US flight that departs at the same time is already there in LAS for over 45 minutes already. I see flights that go to the same place, a WN flight to LAX took off at 7:15pm and a UA plane going to LAX took off at 7:35pm. The UA plane arrived in LAX about 15-20 minutes before the WN jet. I always like traveling East anyway.

Back