Awa Chp.11 In The Past

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
"One of the reasons we tried so hard to avoid going in [to bankruptcy] is because there's not a good track record for it," said Grinstein.

He said 160 airlines have gone into bankruptcy, with 20 emerging. Of those, only two remain, both of which have filed for bankruptcy TWICE -- Continental and AMERICA WEST.

And, Grinstein added, in bankruptcy protection, creditors, debtors-in-possession, and the judge also get to participate in decisions.

Still, he said Delta offered a very sophisticated reorganization plan to investors American Express and General Electric, which decided to extend Delta $1 billion in needed cash and to lower Delta's cash-on-hand limit from $1 billion to $750 million, Grinstein said.

While Grinstein said he doesn't plan for a merger with another airline -- Delta presented a three-year plan to its lenders that "envisions a stand alone airline" -- he also wouldn't rule it out. "

i thought AWA went in only once. can someone verify this?

:blink:

America West has only filed for bankruptcy once. That was in June of 1991, shortly after the Gulf War started. With major restructuring, we emerged from bankruptcy in early 1994 and have not been back since.

Continental has filed for bankruptcy on two seperate occasions. Grinstein was only half right with his quote. <_<

It sucks when a leader of thousands, who will undoubtedly want concessions, either cannot get the facts correct or lies to his people. AWA was extremely close to a second trip to Chap 11 right before 9/11, but amazingly enough it seems as if 9/11 may have actually saved AWA. Just my thoughts.........

coolflyingfool said:
It sucks when a leader of thousands, who will undoubtedly want concessions, either cannot get the facts correct or lies to his people. AWA was extremely close to a second trip to Chap 11 right before 9/11, but amazingly enough it seems as if 9/11 may have actually saved AWA. Just my thoughts.........
[post="303003"][/post]​

The CEO changed on 9/1/01. Trust me, 9/11 nearly killed us.

Possibly just a slip of the tongue by Grinstein. US Airways has the distinction of being the other carrier to file BK twice - the other half of the America West merger.

Let's just hope that Parker can pull off what Bethune did after CAL's 2nd BK - turn the "Chapter 22" carrier around....

Jim

Back