Baggage Problems at DIA continue

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
I'm sure it has everything to do with it...

Note: Only UAX is outsourced. Previously, Skywest employees handled the work. Now  Menzies subsidiary Simplicity that has the contract.

Mainline ground handling is still done by UAL employees.

True, but the public does not draw that fine a distinction.  As far as they are concerned this is a UNITED AIRLINES problem.  Also, it doesn't help that the article in the link doesn't mention that little detail until the middle of the text.  Besides, saying that the handling used to be Skywest, but is now Simplicity USA probably means nothing to the average holiday traveler.  I wouldn't bet that the TV station understands the difference given their title on the article.  It says baggage problems at United, not United Express.

One of the things that a lot of companies, and especially airlines, seem to forget is that when it comes to public relations, perception is often more important than fact.  For instance, WN has always offered a reasonable fare--none of this last minute walkup $900 one-way from Dallas to Nashville.  WN is not always the lowest fare on a route, but because their fares are always reasonable, that translates in the public's mind to the lowest fare.

United spokesperson did not cover him/herself in glory by simply denying that there were no bags left on the ramp overnight when the media already had pictures that appeared to say otherwise.  A corporate "We are looking into that allegation" would have done the trick.

This is a UA problem that can be easily fixed.  They got rid of SkyWest because they couldn't staff after they took paycuts. Afterwards, they hired this low ball outfit called Simplicity (which is a low cost - I SAID LOW COST) subsidiary of Menzies to do the work. (They are doing the DTW express ramp for DL after they got rid of DGS)
Simplicity (or Simpletons) did not understand the challenges of the DEN ramp, and could not staff for the money they were paying.  They figured 300 could do it, but SkyWest needed 600 plus. The DEN ramp is no joke during winter and many people left. So they could not staff and it has affected the mainline operation. We were only given the TOB work and took deicing from us. And they knew the crapstorm was coming when they gave us back the ATW work, because they couldn't have inexperienced agents dealing with the holiday crush of passengers. But they refused to give our people the Express ramp because they said we cost too much.  Even though Simplicity raised the pay to 12.00 (don't know is that is temp or permanent) they still cant get bodies to staff it. So our mainline operation is affected and they are working short. Bags are all over the ramp there.

UA has this split operation thing which express is handled by vendors while mainline is handled by our people. Only in ORD that mainline does Express. The sCO hubs (EWR and IAH and even CLE before and after the dehubbing) do both mainline and express work. But IAD; SFO; LAX; and DEN have split ops. 
This could easily fixed. DEN has over 100 plus people on furlough. Upgrade them to FT, and hand us the ramp. You are going to close stations anyway, so give us the express work in the remaining cities to save jobs. Break the contracts with SkyWest and Swissport, etc. 

This is OUR work, plain and simple.

This whole situation was brought to light by dedicated retirees who were appalled by the downward spiral. Now the company is doing major damage control. 
Thank God for them, because the District isn't doing anything.........

$12/hr to work on the Denver ramp in the middle of the Winter?  No wonder they couldn't staff.  I'm an avid skier, and there are days on that ramp that if it were the same conditions at Breckenridge, I wouldn't ski for free.  :lol:

for $8 an hr  in DEN I gues they would not be able to get "appropriate staffing...     Even Simplicity own workers are telling customers to file claims  as well as not to work for the company..   Now that's sums it all up

Back