Us Airways Watch

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05063/466016.stm

US Airways flight attendants union President Teddy Xidas demanded yesterday that US Airways publicly apologize for its response to a Christmas travel debacle that affected 560,000 passengers, saying in a statement that the airline "wrongly accused" employees for "management shortcomings."

Her comments came a day after the U.S. Department of Transportation inspector general concluded that staffing shortages in Philadelphia and an inadequate response by US Airways managers were to blame for a holiday mess that led to the cancellation of 405 flights, delayed another 3,900 and resulted in 72,000 baggage complaints.

Airline Chief Executive Officer Bruce Lakefield originally blamed the problems on employees who called in sick, but the inspector general found that flight attendant sick calls were no higher than the corresponding holiday period a year earlier.

"It's wrong to hold up to public scorn those employees whose job it is to provide personal service to the public," Xidas said. "We would never desert our passengers, and US Airways should acknowledge our commitment." She added: "The people who run the company need to face up to their own failures."

The company did call the events "unfortunate" in a news release Wednesday and is taking steps to solve the staffing issues, but Xidas said in an interview that the comments were "abstract" and fell short of an actual apology.

Finally. Pollack could learn from this. (bolding is mine)

Still silence from CCY. No acknowledging and respecting the opinion of Sec. Mineta's Office, and apologizing to the employees who have held this company together for the past 4 years; inspite of managment failures.

Folks, there is just no management culture change here, none, zip, zilch, nadda. No matter how you slice it; its the same old, same old. :down:

And everyone take notice: Not one VP lost their job or got demoted. They just did some shuffling around.

Management ranks are "intact". "Good Ol'e Boys Club" alive and well.

I read one post that quoted Lakefield as stating "too many employee's called off in 2003 also". A simple apology to all the groups slandered by Lakefied&Co during Christmas week would help? But I doubt any will hear it..........

PITbull said:
Crellin needs to go along with his croney pals.
[post="252628"][/post]​
Do you really believe at this point anything would matter....better keep your sights on the Midwest and not look back least you turn into a pillar of salt.

I dont think there will ever be any type trust between Labor and Mgmt with the group of misfits still there. It is beyond belief how Al Crellin has not be paraded in front of the Board of Directors and fired for total mismanagement. This fiasco just goes to show the world the Good ole Boys Club is alive and very well in CCY.

I would tread lightly!!! This still doesn't excuse those irresponsible employees who selfishly put the company at risk!

No management made those employees call in sick...I wonder if everyone who was SCHEDULED TO WORK would of shown up to WORK THEIR SCHEDULED SHIFT would of lessened the meltdown!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 200% with what everyone is saying. In fact I just did a post under the USA320Pilot thread about Strategic Analysis. It is certainly time for the members on the BOD that represent the various unions to call for some of these leaderless underacheivers to hit the road and without fat severance packages. Their poor leadership has cost the company and employees the severance money they would have received. Since they are in such demand maybe Southwest or JetBlue will hire them so they can screw up our competition!! If you have time go over to the other thread and read my response to left seater A320.

jack mama said:
I would tread lightly!!!  This still doesn't excuse those irresponsible employees who selfishly put the company at risk!

[post="252687"][/post]​

They did it for their co-workers so they could go big-screen. I don't call that selfish.

I note no one at IAM or ALPA has joined Teddy in her request.

Once again, she shows the IAM/ALPA eunuchs how it is done.

Hey, is there any way agents could divert their dues to AFA? They'd get more for them :lol: :lol:

Al Crellin is lobbying Bruce Lakefield for the CEO job and has let it be known that if not selected, which I view as very unlikely, he will resign from the company. Moreover, a replacement for Crellin has and continues to be discussed within the “executive suiteâ€￾.

During most formal reorganizations or major contract negotiations with ALPA, historically senior management is replaced, whether its at US Airways or another company.

In my opinion, Crellin could leave the company in the not-so-distant future and there is a quality replacement available.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

PineyBob said:
Who is out there that can do it better?

If someone is clearly superior how could US Airways lure them away from their current employer?

[post="252711"][/post]​

I could

Latest posts