Boston Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Senior
Aug 7, 2004
There is a new Station Manager at BOS I believe from US and F/A Base manager is from AA MIA. CDG will remain seasonal, Dom/INT F/A base stays intact.
I know they are concentrating on the AA/US corner stone Hubs, but BOS is still a go as is, has anyone heard of a uptick with the base.

4th of July and Boston Pops and AA ????

Not sure what other AA personal/Airliners.net people have heard.  BY THE This isn't about DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boston said:

Not sure what other AA personal/Airliners.net people have heard.  BY THE This isn't about DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be before long, 3,2,1 queue WT

i do wonder if the seasonal bos-cdg would become yr round service    What aircraft does AA use for it?

According to the Non-Rev Travel Planner, the equipment is a 757. I looked at a couple of days--a Friday and a Saturday--in the middle of July. The loads were not good--less than 100 on either flight. And, almost no one in F/C. If that's the best we can attract in high travel season, I can't imagine that they would ever think of going year-round with it.

I truly hope that the non Corner Stone markets get some attention at tweaking under this new management team. It is a shame to see so many opportunities to go un or under noticed in the shadow of the (bad) cornerstone strategy.  Being based in SFO I know well the feeling of a marginalized "Kidney Stone" employee vs one being part of the party at a "Corner Stone"....

I am a bit more optimistic some changes will take place as the "chatter" and "gospel" of Corner this and Corner that has subsided a bit since the merger---
Boston has quite a bit to add to it's portfolio as the NE presence with US has changed AA's footprint and foothold in the region dramatically. SFO and CA as a whole didn't gain much...my best to my "Kidney Stone" brothers and sisters in BOS!!!

AA is the largest carrier by revenue in BOS by a healthy margin and BOS is the largest station for new AA that isn't called a hub, so I see more opportunities there.

Parker told the media during the recession that 99% of the US Airways schedule touched one of its hubs at PHX, CLT, PHL or DCA, not counting the BOS/LGA shuttle flights, so the "retreat to the hubs" strategy of Arpey/Horton wasn't unique to AA.   

As for SFO, I could see a return of BOS-SFO and maybe SNA-SFO.    Put three or four daily 16J 75Ls on BOS-SFO and sell some front cabin seats. 

The F/As I know say USAIR management likes BOS and "regrets" closing the base here in early 2010 FWIW. I would love to get some flying back to LHR, RDU,SAN, SFO, STL, and YYZ. Hopefully the 763 will come back to BOS-LAX currently all 738s.

Josh

Fat chance of the 763 running BOS-LAX, not gonna happen, AA is pulling widebodies off transcon flights.

700UW said:
Fat chance of the 763 running BOS-LAX, not gonna happen, AA is pulling widebodies off transcon flights.

Happened as recently as 2012.

Josh

Thats two years ago.

The last of the Coast to Coast widebody transcons are over if I remember correctly, AA retired the 762s, they wont put a 763 on BOS-LAX.

There is a bigger market from JFK-LAX and they didnt move the 763 to that route.

700UW said:
Thats two years ago.

The last of the Coast to Coast widebody transcons are over if I remember correctly, AA retired the 762s, they wont put a 763 on BOS-LAX.

There is a bigger market from JFK-LAX and they didnt move the 763 to that route.

Are you that obtuse?  AA still sends 777s and 763s MIA-LAX daily, including the awesome AA 299 MIA-LAX in the morning.

Josh

700 is right. frequency is the name of the game in BOS-LAX. other carriers aren't going to use widebodies so AA is going to use an aircraft that can put the most frequency into the market.

OAG files show that US is pulling down several BOS RJ markets - remnants of several mergers ago. Not huge markets but AA/US will be somewhat smaller.

BOS is just like other coastal markets that have been divided between the network carriers. The difference was that B6 focused on it after 9/11 and the cutbacks by the legacy/network carriers and B6 now serves most of the major markets from BOS.

Their lower costs have given them an advantage but as their cost advantage relative to the legacies decreases, it will be easier for any of the legacies to decide to return and increase their presence. It is unlikely that any one of the legacies is going to allow another to add service without additions of their own because BOS is a relatively rich market and involves a number of key corporate accounts.

AA's size at BOS today is because of the US merger which involves multiple hubs and domestic mass but like so much of AA's new network is relatively light on int'l presence since AA doesn't provide any int'l service on a year round basis. Domestic service is relatively easy for other carriers to enter and in time AA's network from BOS will face more competition. that is a given. AA will add flights into other carrier key markets as well but the cost will largely be at B6s dominance.

Last year, AA carried comparable loads to AF and DL on BOS-CDG but at average fares that are lower. AA has a long history of doing fairly well at CDG both before and since the AF-DL JV. CDG like LHR and FRA are strong markets; AF's problem is their high costs and inefficiency relative to LHR and FRA. AA can and does find a nice niche there. but their BOS-CDG flight is about half point to point traffic and half overflow traffic from AA's other hubs - thus it isn't sustainable on a year round basis.

The real question is why AA hasn't bothered to try to recover one of the BOS-LHR flights so that AA can have an int'l presence on its own metal from BOS.

737823 said:

Are you that obtuse?  AA still sends 777s and 763s MIA-LAX daily, including the awesome AA 299 MIA-LAX in the morning.

Josh
Did I mention MIA-LAX?

Nope, and that route is in place as the 777 continues onto an international destination or comes in from one, so instead of letting the plane sit, it is utilized on a domestic turn.

Funny you want AA to run widebodies on domestic routes and you chastised US for running the A330 to BOS and PHX from CLT.

You are way too biased to think objectively.

If they are going to run 757s why bother, BA is much better product anyway. 

Josh

700UW said:
Did I mention MIA-LAX?

Nope, and that route is in place as the 777 continues onto an international destination or comes in from one, so instead of letting the plane sit, it is utilized on a domestic turn.

Funny you want AA to run widebodies on domestic routes and you chastised US for running the A330 to BOS and PHX from CLT.

You are way too biased to think objectively.

MIA-LAX is a coast to coast route, now isn't it?

700UW said:

Guess you don't know BOS-LAX is a premium heavy route for AA, most of the FC seats are sold and upgrades are few and far between.  BOS-CLT not so much that is a two hour flight to a not so premium destination while LAX is a six hour flight where the willingness to pay for FC is far greater.  Six hours on the 738 recliner seats isn't fun but its hardly worth the hassle of connecting at JFK for the 32B.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back