Brand Image Amr Vs Jblu (song Too)?

nimbus

Jan 15, 2003
Jut out of curiosity, how does the AA product stack up in comparision to JetBlue or Song for that matter?

For example: How does the legroom on the airlines compare?
Video entertainment?
Departure/Arrival times
On-board snacks?

For example, I was told JBLU offers a variety of snacks vs only the pretzels on AA. I have never flown Jetblue but only have heard amazing reviews about them. Mostly from AA employees.

Lets try to keep this factual and not slanderous or a mud fight against management.

How does the legroom on the airlines compare?
Same

Video entertainment?
Same (people who like TV will say JetBlue, but I don't really care about IFE)

Departure/Arrival times
Same

On-board snacks?
basically the same (variety of snacks vs strictly pretzels is not a big difference IMHO)

You left out "service with a smile?". AA fails in that regard, and miserably.

Just read posting about wireless internet service at JBLU terminal 6 vs AA (two many terminals to name:)

Jetblue announced free internet wireless 802.11b service (developed inhouse) at terminal 6 at JFK.

AA uses T-mobile's service. Does AA/T-Mobile charge customers?

mike

Legroom can't be the same.... AA offers two different products... one size for the 757. Airbus, and MD-80 and another for 777 and 767. The former planes, it was announced, were to be used for low fare (e.g. JFK OAK)and leisure markets competeing with JBLU.

The question in this regards is... Where planes will have equal legroom to JBLU's? The leisure markets where AA is competeing with JBLU legroom and comfort similiar or AA's premium product (767 and777)?

JS said:
You left out "service with a smile?". AA fails in that regard, and miserably.
I have found that to be a gross exaggeration! I fly quite a bit, domestic and internationally, and 99% of the time the AA agents and FA's are great! Going the extra mile is the norm. Are there some rotten ones? Of course, and we tend to remember them, but to paint ALL of them that way is ridiculous.

nimbus said:
Legroom can't be the same.... AA offers two different products... one size for the 757. Airbus, and MD-80 and another for 777 and 767. The former planes, it was announced, were to be used for low fare (e.g. JFK OAK)and leisure markets competeing with JBLU.
AA has not announced any plans to alter the configuration of the MD-80s. The A-300s are probably finished, the 757s start just after the holidays, and the MD-80s stay with MRTC (at least for now).

The A300's are now finished. Not sure when the 757s will be done. These planes will be flying passengers paying LOW fares. And one thing thats been proven over and over again is low fare passengers arn't very concerned about leg room.

As a resident of Kansas City, I'd have to say that AA beats JetBlue in every category - since JetBlue doesn't serve MCI. I've always had what I consider to be decent service on my AA flights. Then again, I am not very demanding of any airline I fly - and I've found that a smile and hello from me usually results in a smile and hello from the cabin crew.

Thanks KCFlyer... but have you flown Jetblue to say it beats AA?? Honestly, I haven't.... so for those airline employees or forum contributors that contribute to this site.. How does AA and Jetblue compare those in the NY - Florida and NY - OAK/LGB markets.

It is a good point that the planes AA will be using are the 757 for the low fare transcons. Assuming AA and Jetblue ARE going head to head competing on price (low fares); how does the onboard product compare. They both offer free video(s) but now that JBLU offered more legroom in their coach only cabin.... is it more roomier than AA's 757???

Although... you are all so right about a nice greetings and a smile making a flight more enjoyable.

nimbus said:
Thanks KCFlyer... but have you flown Jetblue to say it beats AA?? Honestly, I haven't.... so for those airline employees or forum contributors that contribute to this site.. How does AA and Jetblue compare those in the NY - Florida and NY - OAK/LGB markets.

It is a good point that the planes AA will be using are the 757 for the low fare transcons. Assuming AA and Jetblue ARE going head to head competing on price (low fares); how does the onboard product compare. They both offer free video(s) but now that JBLU offered more legroom in their coach only cabin.... is it more roomier than AA's 757???

Although... you are all so right about a nice greetings and a smile making a flight more enjoyable.
No...I've never flown JetBlue...you can't fly what doesn't serve your town. And AA serves a heckuva lot more of the USA than JetBlue does. There is more to the USA than the New York to Florida market - and there are a lot of potential customers in the "flyover country" in America's heartland. AA serves a significantly larger portion of that area than JetBlue does. But here is my take:

1. Legroom - From everything I've read, legroom isn't high on JetBlue's priority list. Even after removing the rows, only some of the seats are just slight above "industry standard". The rest are at or below this standard. So it's a draw. On MRTC AA flights, AA wins, hands down.

2. Video Entertainment - Personally, I'd rather not watch reruns of "Good Times" on a transcon flight. And if what's "served" on the video channels on a night transcon are at all similar to what my Direct TV serves up at night, then one has to wonder how long one will be entertained by Ron Popeil saying "Set it and forget it". IMHO, Video is going to be one of the biggest areas of "hidden costs". If a low tech tray table can be damaged on an airliner, how much wear and tear can an electronic device take before it breaks down? Who's going to fix them? Will they fix them for free? How much will it cost to fix them? How many will have to break before they ground an otherwise airworthy plane? Will they offer customers some form of "compenstation" to maintain good "customer service" because of a broken TV in a seatback? Call me old fashioned but a good book beats the boob tube every time. So I'll give AA the edge on this one

3. Departure and Arrival times - JetBlue still lacks any kind of "frequency" on their flights. AA has a large number of nonstop transcons, or one stop with a change transcons. AA usually offers more than just one or two daily flights in the "flyover cities"...cities Jetblue has yet to serve. And some cities that Jetblue does serve (Denver for example) get one flight per day. AA has 12 options to get you there (from New York). So, AA takes this category as well.

4. On board snacks - Pretzels or peanuts are not adequate for a transcon flight. Shorter hops, they're okay, but if my flights are over a meal hour, then I usually grab a sandwich at the airport and bring it on board. But since AA does offer some meal options on longer flights, the advantage has to go to AA on this one as well.

I've flown both, frequently and if I had to make a choice, it would be AA. I enjoy a bigger aircraft when I have to fly coast to coast. I don't like being cramped in an Airbus for 3200 miles.

Snacks, AA has good first class, poor coach snax. I sat by a non-rev employee last week in first who was complaining that no meal service was provided for her even though she listed and paid for it.

JetBlue employees do seem to have a far superior grip on their attitude, but then I also understand that didn't recently take it in the pants with pay and benefit cuts.

There is no comparing schedules, AA has more, no brainer.

I don't really care about OBE, I take my laptop and I have a host of games and DVDs.

I haven't been on Song yet, but one 757 is not really any different than any other.

WingNaPrayer said:
I sat by a non-rev employee last week in first who was complaining that no meal service was provided for her even though she listed and paid for it.
Listing is what we all do when you non-rev and when you fly F/C there is a surcharge. Everyone pays it unless they are on company business. The non-rev you sat next to was probably an ungrateful buddy-pass person. All buddy-pass people pay their surcharge when they check-in now. Being on a pass does not now and never has guaranteed a meal or snack. That person was not only ungrateful, but ignorant. These non-rev rules available everywhere and the employees are supposed to make sure that people on their buddy passes are aware of them.

Sorry, not a buddy pass. She was administrative something or other out of Tulsa. I've never seen a non rev denied a meal or snack before. Holy christ are there any perks left that employees get to enjoy, or have they just about taken everything away? If thats the case, I'd D90 on the competition before I'd let my own airline treat me like cargo.

That person was not only ungrateful, but ignorant.

You know, thats the attitude that a lot of AA folks take regarding their customers, and a hefty part of the "never again" policy many travelers have about AA. Regardless of the type of pass someone may be flying on, I always look at it in the same way, they did something, somewhere along the line to earn it. I'm sure the idea behind these passes is to let people "experience" the airline, and hopefully come back often with revenue. However, when they are treated like crap, denied a meal, a snack, a drink, whatever, THAT is what they remember, not the pass, and THAT is why they don't come a knockin' with any revenue. Sad to say, I know a few people in my own company that only flew AA until their FF miles were used up and they could no longer get a free round trip or an upgrade. Once they were gone, they went elsewhere. It's not a healthy bottom line when passengers who once were your bread and butter will only fly you now if they don't have to pay.

I have flown on JB and the employees are very nice. From the agents to the crew they all seem to be happy no matter what. I especially like them because as a f/a we can jumpseat on JB. I fly on AA as much as I can. Since I fly free in Y class, why not? But, I always carry several ID90's in my bag just in case I can't get on. I have to say one thing, I do get treated better on other airlines, then I do on my own. That's really pathetic!

WingNaPrayer said:
I'd D90 on the competition before I'd let my own airline treat me like cargo.
I thought you pretended to be an investor in AMR; not an employee.

Regardless, you should be aware that sometimes loads change at the last minute and that there may be a shortage of meals. If that is the case, revenue passengers always come first, that is the a way of life for the non rev passengers, even if they paid a first class surcharge. Besides, one of the rules is that the non revs are forbidden from informing other passengers of their non rev status; a violation can result in the revocation of the pass privileges.

Latest posts

Back