Bruce Lakefield Comments

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
On Friday, April 30, the Washington based pilots held a LEC meeting to receive a report from the Negotiating Committee on LOA 91, then a question and answer period with US Airways chief executive officer Bruce Lakefield, and then accomplished normal agenda items. Listed below are some of the Lakefield Q&A’s.

Q. How committed are you to keeping MDA a part of USAirways? How advantageous is it for you to do so?

A. We pay an 8% premium to the affiliates and he would like to keep that 8%, thus keeping MDA is financially advantageous.

Q. What will happen if we vote down LOA 91? If GECAS pulls as a result, and those deliveries go elsewhere, how serious is that for us? Could we find another investor?

A. We will lose $200 million in projected revenue and go into default on the ATSB loan. That loan could be called and we would domino out of business. The EMB 170/175 are very attractive to other airlines and we have delivery positions sewn up with the GECAS loan.

Q. Even if we ratify LOA 91, what is the likelihood that GECAS will pull some deliveries anyway? Where will those deliveries go?

A. GECAS could have pulled the plug already, we are in default on the MAC (Major Adverse clause). They have not pulled any deliveries. Lots of other airlines want these planes.

Q. It has been said that the GECAS concerns were a fabricated and orchestrated effort by the company to scare us into approving LOA 91, thus allowing you to send those SJ's elsewhere as was your plan all along. How would you respond to that?

A. GECAS cares about GECAS. They have no opinion and care only that they are making a business decision. Mr. Lakefield says that GECAS has been his major concern for weeks and has spent most of his time assuaging their fears.

Q. What message did the MEC send to you and Dr. Bronner by recalling the Chairman and Vice Chairman of our NC? Was that message also picked up by the financial community?

A. Loud and clear. It was addressed in his remarks. There was reason for GECAS to worry and expressed it to Mr. Lakefield.

Q. Why did Dave Siegel resign? With you, as an investment banker, taking his place, what message did that send to the financial community? What message should that send to us and the rest of the employees on USAirways?

A. No comment. Lakefield is not here for a “restructuringâ€￾.

Q. What is the timeline that we are on in our effort to "reinvent" ourselves? Who determines this timeline? Please tell us your personal sense of urgency, and what is Dr. Bronner's?

A. Months, not years. No deadline. Again, he seems to be resigned to the fact that we have control of our destiny. I really got the feeling that he would let us sink if we don t try to save ourselves. I know that I would like to go back to the good life in Naples rather than beat my head against a wall with unions.

Q. The pilots begin the negotiating process with you next week. When do we realistically have to have a TA? Why? If we do well in the second quarter, will that give us more time?

A. Summer looks good. There is a paradigm change and the revenue is never going to return to levels required to support the old legacy carriers. Another recurring theme was that the LCCs have a young labor force that is less expensive and that will not change.

Q. Are you going to start negotiations with any other labor group while you are in negotiations with the pilots? How will you get them to the table? Are they waiting on the pilots to strike a deal first? If so, will that give you enough time to negotiate with each one of them in turn?

A. The pilots have to lead. The other groups look to us for leadership. US Airways has a social responsibility to the lowest paid workers to insure that they earn a living wage. You cannot cut a $25,000 a year worker to $20,000.

Q. How close are you to selling assets from US Airways? What will trigger a decision to sell?

A. Not asked, but consistently emphasized it was cheaper to keep everything.

Q. Some say that you already have a plan for us, be it Chapter 11, liquidation, or merger, and this "reinvention" is just an exercise in filling the squares for liability purposes before you implement that plan. What would your response be to that?

A. “I am not here for a restructuring.â€￾

Q. Does it really matter what we, the pilots, do? Do we really have the ability to shape our destiny on this airline?

A. Yes, we are in control of our destiny. There is a lot more to do.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
A. . Lakefield is not here for a “restructuringâ€￾.

I am confused about what that means.

If he is not here for a restructuring, isn't the only other option that he is here for is to begin a shutdown of the company?

If he is not here for a restructuring, why bother to try to extract more concessions-- isn't that "restructuring?"

Someone translate please!

USA320Pilot said:
Listed below are some of the Lakefield Q&A’s.

Q. Why did Dave Siegel resign? With you, as an investment banker, taking his place, what message did that send to the financial community? What message should that send to us and the rest of the employees on USAirways?

A. No comment. Lakefield is not here for a “restructuringâ€￾.

Q. How close are you to selling assets from US Airways? What will trigger a decision to sell?

A. Not asked, but consistently emphasized it was cheaper to keep everything.

Q. Some say that you already have a plan for us, be it Chapter 11, liquidation, or merger, and this "reinvention" is just an exercise in filling the squares for liability purposes before you implement that plan. What would your response be to that?

Respectfully,
USA320Pilot
Hmm, I guess your thread about another chapter 11 filing and/or prepackaged bankruptcy is not accurate.

And your thread about PSA being sold!

Guess you are wrong again, like usual.

Still waiting for your explanation of the IAM "Painful" clause!

I like (NOT!) how you put the Q's in 1st person and then the A's in 3rd person with your "editorial" comments and interpretations. Could you not have just reported what Lakefield said?

This meeting was Friday? It took you two days to make up all your answers to the supposed questions?

Note:
I hope to see someone else's take on this so called Q & A period, not just the views of this particular driver. I have my suspicions!

700UW:

PSA will likely be sold after LOA 91 is ratified, which has been explained over and over.

In regard to a pre-packaged bankruptcy, Lakefield will not preside over it, but that does not mean it will not occur.

I sure hope the mechanics can learn another language, if they want an overhaul job.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

The Q&A was provided from a Washington-based pilot and I cut and pasted his comments. The meeting was open to all pilots and their spouses and the Q&A is on the ALPA website and message board, in the members only section.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

So I'd still like to read someone else's take on the Q & A period. I don't like the way this particular bus driver editorialized the answers. Very poor. :p

USA320Pilot said:
700UW:

PSA will likely be sold after LOA 91 is ratified, which has been explained over and over.

In regard to a pre-packaged bankruptcy, Lakefield will not preside over it, but that does not mean it will not occur.

I sure hope the mechanics can learn another language, if they want an overhaul job.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
You are a piece of work, I sure hope you wear depends when you fly on an airplane overhauled by people that don't speak english and are unlicensed and can't even sign off their shoddy work.

And by the way I sure hope you will like working for Johnny O at Mesa wages cause that is what is gonna happen, sure would hurt to have your $200,000 a year to be cut to $58,000 like YOU did to your fellow union brothers and sisters at MDA.

And by the way, WE the IAM will prevail, I wonder how you are gonna back peddle when you are shown to be wrong once again, but hey I guess you are use to it as we are on the boards, because when it comes to credibility you have NONE, ZERO, ZLICH, NADA!

700UW:

I find it interesting that you continue "shoot the messenger". ALPA has been told in side conversations what our expected part of the going forward plan will be and I have provided enough hints.

In regard to the A320 overhaul, if the company wins the hand writing is on the wall. If the IAM wins, Pittsburgh mechanics should learn another language because they will not like where the overhaul will be conducted, since the english language will be a challenge. It's up to the IAM what to do here.

As far as my income, it's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm prepared for life without US Airways and can go on without the company.

With "GoFares" on the horizon for the entire system, either costs come down or the company will likely fail again.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Guys & gals,

Here's my understanding of the "Q&A" with Lakefield. One (or more) of the MEC members distributed the questions before the DCA meeting. At least some of the answers were derived from Lakefield's remarks - not answers to the specific questions. This is a repost of what the BOS F/O rep posted on the ALPA site. You can tell from the questions which way he leans.

Jim

Do you sit up at night trying to dream up things that people will believe to think you are someone?

And no one shoots the messenger when the messenger is right. (something you have no idea about.)

Let me explain this to you and you might want to read it slowly and over again so you can comprehend what is actually means:

The company cannot schedule maintenance outside of the Continental United States, see we have that in our contract also, and have won several grievances against the company for scheduling work done on the 767 and A330 at LGW.

See when the F100s came due for their first overhaul the company approached the union and asked for a letter of waiver to have the work performed at Fokker in AMS by Fokker, the union granted the waiver on one condition and the company agreed, that was that one for one a US Mechanic and a Fokker Mechanic worked side by side and trained the US Mechanics on the overhaul of the F100, so US took crews of US Mechanics and they went to AMS for a few months and worked on the F100s over there and then they came back and the overhauls were then accomplished in PIT by only US Mechanics.

See you can keep making up wrong information, but those of us who know what is really going on and know all about you, will continue to expose you for the scared and fraudulent person that you are.

So try another angle about learning to have to speak another language, good try, but once again you make things up that you have no idea about, at least try to be more convincing.

And more secret information? Maybe I will just give the SEC your name and this web page so they can deal into your so-called insider information that you say you are privy too, how do you find the time to earn your $200,000 a year since you are too busy talking to your "secret" sources on what is going at on US?

To USA320PILOT:

"Q. How committed are you to keeping MDA a part of USAirways? How advantageous is it for you to do so?

A. We pay an 8% premium to the affiliates and he would like to keep that 8%, thus keeping MDA is financially advantageous."

With our new CEOs comments in mind, isn't this the same argument against selling PSA to MESA? PSA's costs are lower than MDAs and on par with MESA, so why pay MESA 8% even for our 85 aircraft if you don't have to? I think we will be sold, but not to MESA.

DorkDriver:

To USA320PILOT:

"Q. How committed are you to keeping MDA a part of USAirways? How advantageous is it for you to do so?

A. We pay an 8% premium to the affiliates and he would like to keep that 8%, thus keeping MDA is financially advantageous."

DorkDriver asked: With our new CEOs comments in mind, isn't this the same argument against selling PSA to MESA? PSA's costs are lower than MDAs and on par with MESA, so why pay MESA 8% even for our 85 aircraft if you don't have to? I think we will be sold, but not to MESA.

USA320Pilot comments: I believe US Airways would like to keep PSA and MDA because they are both profitable units. However, US Airways must comply with the loan guarantee and Bronner has said he will do whatever it takes to meet those covenants.

For example, US Airways just used $250 million to adjust the EBITDAR requirements, possibly because they did not have other access to capital. LOA 91 permits the company to selll PSA and MDA, if necessary, which would permit the company to further pay down the loan guarantee and reduce debt service. I have been told by senior management that PSA will be sold and I expect that to occur, although that could change too.

Furthermore, the inability of the PSA and US Airways pilots, along with management to agree on a CRJ-700 J4J protocol could provide further incentive to sell PSA or for these jets to get to Allegheny/Piedmont, which is being discussed according to a MEC Officer.

From the PSA ALPA website.....

MEC REJECTS SURPRISE COMPANY PROPOSAL

(Apr. 30) The Master Executive Council (MEC) Thursday night in a Special Meeting rejected a surprise proposal from the Company that would have staffed the CRJ-700 program with 100% APL pilots.

The MEC Chairman on Wednesday received a written proposal from PSA Airlines which included language that would staff the 70-seat aircraft with Jets-for-Jobs pilots exclusively. The Company also told the Association that it would cancel the CRJ-700 program unless its terms were met by Saturday, May 1.

The proposal came as a surprise to some MEC members because the Association was not involved in active negotiations.

The MEC, after discussion, voted 7-0 to support a motion by Irvin/Nagy that rejected the Company proposal and deadline. The Negotiating Committee was scheduled to notify the Company early this morning.

The PSA pilot code-a-phone number is 800-458-7359.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

700UW:

I did not say where the overhaul will be conducted and its you who are making those comments.

My point is this: If the company wins the upcoming arbitration and there is no agreement with the IAM to cost effectively conduct overhaul, then the Pittsburgh B737 maintenance facility will likely be closed or could be moved to a location where English is not spoken very well in the meantime.

FedEx has made offers for the B737s, the company has access to 60 A320 aircraft (24 used birds from Swiss International and 36 from other sources), there are plans to bring on-board the EMB-190 possibly as a Group 3 aircraft, and an agreement that permits US Airways to close the Pittsburgh maintenance facility as early as January.

Furthermore, on Tuesday the company is going to ask for ALPA to increase the pay cap, permit training relief, and other work rule changes, which will help the company re-train pilots to fly the B737 replacement aircraft, e.g. A320s and probably EMB-190/195s. The will be part of ALPA's new accord to support the "Going Forward" business plan that will likely be ratified by the rank-and-file.

The short and long-term business plan is to eliminate all Boeing aircraft, thus you should read the tea leaves.

It's up to the IAM and its members what they want to do, but it’s clear, the upcoming arbitration will have tremendous effect on our mechanics with enormous risk for the union.

REspectfully,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts

Back