BUsh and Big Business

I thought the airlines WERE big business. How big does a company have to be before they are considered "Big business". Who's in Bush's pocket...Greyhound and Amtrack?

I thought the airlines WERE big business. How big does a company have to be before they are considered "Big business". Who's in Bush's pocket...Greyhound and Amtrack?

Right, but Clinton did not let AA go down the tubes, he merly told the pilots to get back to work at their already adequate salary, and keep talking.

UAL is probably going to loose employees, routes and there will be cuts in pay.

I don't know hwat all went wrong at UAL, but having been around for a while I'd say that like at PanAm and Eastern it is not one sided. Not all the mechanics who were fired were innocent, not all the management's technical decisions were un-evadable, I have been involved in one minor FAA hearing and heard of others were the FAA did step on managements toes big time for trying to intimidate mechanics.

It has always taken two to tango, and ultimately there is the question, if UAL was such a hell hole to work in, why did all these outspoken, agressive, motivated people who post with better ideas not quit? Particularly when the economy was at its peak. Where have all the 100k autorepair jobs gone? The elevator repairman jobs?

Right, but Clinton did not let AA go down the tubes, he merly told the pilots to get back to work at their already adequate salary, and keep talking.

UAL is probably going to loose employees, routes and there will be cuts in pay.

I don't know hwat all went wrong at UAL, but having been around for a while I'd say that like at PanAm and Eastern it is not one sided. Not all the mechanics who were fired were innocent, not all the management's technical decisions were un-evadable, I have been involved in one minor FAA hearing and heard of others were the FAA did step on managements toes big time for trying to intimidate mechanics.

It has always taken two to tango, and ultimately there is the question, if UAL was such a hell hole to work in, why did all these outspoken, agressive, motivated people who post with better ideas not quit? Particularly when the economy was at its peak. Where have all the 100k autorepair jobs gone? The elevator repairman jobs?

Wasn't it just about 2 years ago that Bush said that he would not allow any airline strikes? But now its ok to let the whole industry go down the tubes.

Wasn't it just about 2 years ago that Bush said that he would not allow any airline strikes? But now its ok to let the whole industry go down the tubes.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 2:11:22 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
Airlines are not big business, they're just high profile business due to the vastness of their respective business territories, and the different political landscapes they traverse with each flight.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 2:11:22 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]
Airlines are not big business, they're just high profile business due to the vastness of their respective business territories, and the different political landscapes they traverse with each flight.

Statement by AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney On Resignation from ULLICO, Inc. Board of Directors
December 2, 2002

Prior to the ULLICO board meeting today, I notified Robert Georgine—President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of ULLICO, Inc.—that I am resigning from the ULLICO, Inc. Board of Directors, effective immediately. AFL-CIO Executive Vice President Linda Chavez-Thompson also resigned from the Board of Directors of ULLICO today.
For more information, including a copy of the letter of resignation from the ULLICO Board, please contact (202) 637-5018.

http://www.aflcio.org/publ/press2002/pr1202.htm

Statement by AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney On Resignation from ULLICO, Inc. Board of Directors
December 2, 2002

Prior to the ULLICO board meeting today, I notified Robert Georgine—President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of ULLICO, Inc.—that I am resigning from the ULLICO, Inc. Board of Directors, effective immediately. AFL-CIO Executive Vice President Linda Chavez-Thompson also resigned from the Board of Directors of ULLICO today.
For more information, including a copy of the letter of resignation from the ULLICO Board, please contact (202) 637-5018.

http://www.aflcio.org/publ/press2002/pr1202.htm

What is ULLICO you ask?

A heritage of success in serving working Americans
ULLICO Inc. has come far from its founding as The Union Labor Life Insurance Company in 1925 to provide death benefits to the families of union members. Growing, changing, strengthening and innovating, over the course of seven decades ULLICO has emerged as a dynamic, diversified financial services company adept at creating and distributing a broad range of insurance, managed care, investment, and fund administration products.

From traditional insurance policies to cutting edge innovations in managed health care and investments, ULLICO today is capable of meeting not only the expanding needs of working men and women, but of their unions, their organized employers, and the pension and welfare funds on which they all rely. No financial organization has had more history - or more success - in serving the organized labor market.

ULLICO is about insurance. Maybe they will INSURE the loan for United?

What is ULLICO you ask?

A heritage of success in serving working Americans
ULLICO Inc. has come far from its founding as The Union Labor Life Insurance Company in 1925 to provide death benefits to the families of union members. Growing, changing, strengthening and innovating, over the course of seven decades ULLICO has emerged as a dynamic, diversified financial services company adept at creating and distributing a broad range of insurance, managed care, investment, and fund administration products.

From traditional insurance policies to cutting edge innovations in managed health care and investments, ULLICO today is capable of meeting not only the expanding needs of working men and women, but of their unions, their organized employers, and the pension and welfare funds on which they all rely. No financial organization has had more history - or more success - in serving the organized labor market.

ULLICO is about insurance. Maybe they will INSURE the loan for United?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 6:33:25 PM MiAAmi wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

I believe the primary concern prior to 9/11 was of the collateral damage of an airline strike to industries not related to the firm. But I have a sense that they were very hesitant to even do that back then, but felt compelled to act because of the slowdown in economic activity within the economy as a whole.

Now, when the airlines go CH11, the only impact will be on equity and debt holders, not a large swath of firms. Hence, CH11 is the appropriate mechanism for disposing and rehabilitating the firms assets. The only potential negative effect is the inability of firms with viable business models to access the capital markets, but the government solved that with the ATSB. And I believe that the capital markets are opening up for some firms (although probably only for asset-backed debt products). Furthermore, the economy is recovering. The problem is that the visible signs of an economic recovery are lagging indicators, so people will still "think" things are bad for about 12 months after the economy is growing.

Because of all that, the Administrations actions are consistent with its free market philosiphy.