Business Conduct And Ethics Policy

Dell is right! Essentially the hard drive must be destroyed to ensure complete destruction of the information

Bob,
That's not entirely correct. Whenever a HD is formatted there's two ways it can be done. The first method is a high level format which will appear to erase all the data but in reality all it does is erase the access path, the data still exists but it written over as the user installs more software on the HD. A low level format on the other hand completely wipes the HD clean rewriting to the tracks and sectors of the HD.

tug_slug said:
Bob,
That's not entirely correct. Whenever a HD is formatted there's two ways it can be done. The first method is a high level format which will appear to erase all the data but in reality all it does is erase the access path, the data still exists but it written over as the user installs more software on the HD. A low level format on the other hand completely wipes the HD clean rewriting to the tracks and sectors of the HD.
tug...i hear tell the good 'ol boys down foggy bottom(fedayeen) got the tech to retrieve even clean discs as you indicated...

Each sector on the hard drive must be written over 11 times to remove "all" traces of what was previously written. Also beware of programs such as "Go Back" and others that come with Windows XP and Norton System Works. Also note on corporate server type systems the server holds the record. So even if you used your personal laptop you still could be burned. One idea is take your laptop with it's wireless interface card and drive around until you can log on through someone's else's wireless network. Hence using their IP address. Remember when Ollie North took the fall he choked on the records found on the server.

An unwelcome, but hardly surprising, development.

Consider;

1. The internet rips asunder the veil of corporate secrecy. The emperor wants it stitched back together before we notice he's naked.

2. The internet organizes folks with similiar interests, a la US Aviation.com. We see we're not the only fools who think the way we do - there are others like us. And others who do not post, read. And talk to yet others.

3. We get to speak our minds, within reason.

4. The media reads all this stuff.

All of the foregoing is a most direct threat to a totalitarian system. I expect the company to retaliate massively against a few posters (Chip won't be one of them) to encourage everyone else to shut the hell up.

Don't count on the union to help - I've dinged the IAM a few times, and they're just as thin-skinned as the company. Only if you're one of the boys would they lift a finger.

The Constitution protects us from the government, not corporations. The government cannot compel you to provide a urine specimen, companies routinely do. The government cannot stop you from communicating to the press; corporations always do. The government cannot tell you with whom you may commence a sexual relationship with (finally); to do so with a co-worker is a legal minefield.

Paper burns at 451 F. Wonder how hot you have to get a hard drive? :shock:

http://forums.devarticles.com/archive/10/2003/2/3/2197

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/komando/126.asp

You're totally paranoid, so get out the acetylene torch.

I'm not kidding. The only absolute and assured way of protecting your data is to destroy the hard drive. To do that, you need to remove it from the computer. If you want to save the rest of the computer, touch the machine's metal frame before reaching in. Static electricity can wreck the circuitry.

Unplug the wires on the hard drive and remove the mounting screws. The hard drive slides out from the back of its holder.

The Pentagon shreds its hard drives. That should work, assuming you can find a hard-drive shredder. I've never seen one.

You need to destroy the platters inside. Try smashing them with a hammer. Destroying them with a torch should work.

700UW said:
http://forums.devarticles.com/archive/10/2003/2/3/2197

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/komando/126.asp

You're totally paranoid, so get out the acetylene torch.

I'm not kidding. The only absolute and assured way of protecting your data is to destroy the hard drive. To do that, you need to remove it from the computer. If you want to save the rest of the computer, touch the machine's metal frame before reaching in. Static electricity can wreck the circuitry.

Unplug the wires on the hard drive and remove the mounting screws. The hard drive slides out from the back of its holder.

The Pentagon shreds its hard drives. That should work, assuming you can find a hard-drive shredder. I've never seen one.

You need to destroy the platters inside. Try smashing them with a hammer. Destroying them with a torch should work.
And none of this does you a bit of good if the data in question ever left your machine. As soon as you send an e-mail, post to a message board, download a web page or do anything that involves another computer you leave a trail.

It's worse than a paper trail because you have no idea how many copies there are, where they can be found nor any way to ever be sure that they've all been destroyed.

It may be comforting to hide behind a screen name but if "they" really want to know and can get sufficient court orders they can find out easily enough.

I received my booklet today. I sent it to the AFA International for reveiw.

Our ability as union members and leaders to use the media to picket and leaflet the public with our disputes "outside of section 6" is sanctioned under the "railroad labor act".

If they want to fire me, I will be relentless with the media of management's severe punishment in all forms to the employees of U, and particularly, "witch hunts". If they interfer with our ability to picket, we will sue. We have no contractual language with regard to this corporate policy. It is viewed as a blantant violation of our rights as unionized workers to picket and leaflet, and for union leaders to speak out about disputes to the media and in newsletters to our members.

You see, they are trying to silence labor to hide the atrocities they commit against the employees by not permiting us to speak.
How much freggin money was spent on this booklet? How much energy was used to write policies to silence the emloyees of U, even on their off time with their own computers?

I can't burn my hardrive, I have too much information that was sent by this management that I need to keep in tact. I have no intentions of doing so. If they come for me or others, hell, I'll find a publicist.

If they would want me to read it they better send it to me at work while I am on the clock. I have no time to read that junk mail at home I am not even obligated to open it at home.

The company has no rights and cannot take any action when it comes to union publications, they are goverened under the freedom of the press and cannot be interfered with by the company.

And the RLA and the Consitution gives us the right to assemble and bring our disputes to the public and our membership.

Bob, the union press has every single right to publish anything they want as long as it is not libel or slander. I have taken seminars with lawyers on this very matter.

Union Publications have the same rights as regular mainsteam newspapers and magazines.

Bob,

Best advice you could have given anyone on these boards to date.

There are other atrocities in life that you can not obviously conceptualize, other than being physically torched.

What is poor Chip gonna do now?

No wonder why he always asks who you are, lol!

I don't work for US Airways, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Hey guys, I read pages 13 and 14 regarding internet postings and identifying yourself as a U employee. I think we all need to relax.....or maybe just me. We here do not identify ourselves. We use "screen" names. Heck, we could be anybody just pretending to work for this airline called U. There is alot of us on here.

Anyway, when you read it, you will definitely calm down. I'm not reading it like the rest of you all paranoid posters. If anything, the management type who use company computers to go on these boards, even as PMs need to think again. They are definitely breaking company policy. LOL......

No wonder haven't seen them post. However, the PMs still keep coming.

Back