Can Reserves Commute @ Us Airways?

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
I just flew with a flight attendant who commutes from Portland and she's a brand new reserve at HP. I was wondering, if US Airways allows Reserves to commute to other cities.
Here at America West, we allow reserves to commute as long as can get to their base before their trip. I heard US doesn't allow this.

Any truth?

I am an 8 year reserve at US that commutes. You are permitted to live an hour and a half by surface transportation outside of your base. There are many, including myself that live much, much further than that. The company requires that as a reserve you are in base when you are on duty. Many work the system but your playing with fire when you do. If you get caught out of base, guarantee a visit to the supervisor. So yes, you can commute and be on reserve.... It seems like the whole darn company commutes. LOL

You can commute but you are playing with FIRE. The company tracks the commuters and reserves so they know where you are. Our reserve system is ssssssoooooNASTY that our employees are hurting physically and mentally from the lack of rest and low time trips ,etc etc. The company can also track if you call in sick while on vacation.um.......Careful what you wish for.....DO NOT EVEN TOUCH OUR RESERVE SYSTEM IT STINKS WORSE THAN NEW ORLEANS..........Sharky

Well at America West, Reserves and Line Holders are allowed to commute as long as we get to our base on time. It's also a benefit for the company if a commuter lives in a city where a crew member gets sick. They are sometimes asked to work a flight to the base and get paid 125% instead of cancelling or delaying the flight.

No life indeed. If anyone says that it's not that bad they are out of their minds. I hear many senior f/a's that say that they had no choice in trips in the past with other carriers and stuff but what we are putting up with here is beyond wrong. Back to being able to commute.... As I stated earlier, if you get caught out of base you will get warned that the next time your fired. If the company is consistent on anything, that you can count on. If there is anyone that has not been fired after the second time, I sure have never heard of it. You have NO seniority with this reserve system. Now your grouped into seniority within your LTO. It's nuts so don't even try to understand it.

After 19 years still on Reserve, will let you know after a block is gotten, i here is better than being on Reserve, but can't relate

yeah thats right 19 years...

:ph34r:

night_ice said:
they track when you are on vacation? i guess they track non-rev's, too? Does AW do this?
[post="299583"][/post]​

I don't think they track us when we're on vacation. If we are on vacation, WE ARE on vacation. It's none of the companys' business.

Sounds like you guys have a pretty awfull system. Too much restrictions! Urgh! I hope our company work rules dominates the f/a system.

javaboy said:
After 19 years still on Reserve, will let you know after a block is gotten, i here is better than being on Reserve, but can't relate
yeah thats right 19 years...

:ph34r:
[post="299623"][/post]​

All I can say is when current contract gets integrated with US, AFA better remove the ones that are nasty and no longer works.
I intend to go to Rally tommorow and going to make sure we build a strong fence and accept a restrictive contract like US. I've been here 16 years and there is no way in hell I'm going back on reserve after 10 years!

airlinedivalish said:
All I can say is when current contract gets integrated with US, AFA better remove the ones that are nasty and no longer works.
I intend to go to Rally tommorow and going to make sure we build a strong fence and accept a restrictive contract like US. I've been here 16 years and there is no way in hell I'm going back on reserve after 10 years!
[post="299641"][/post]​
OK..for like the 100th time, you can have your PHX base! Youll still be holding a line in PHX. You wont be on reserve. Most of us here at US dont want to go to PHX or LAS. When is that going to sink in?

I hope the flying options really open up for both carriers but a quick question. Has anyone at HP looked at the US route map or the combined carriers route map? We fly to a hell of alot of places up and down the eastern seaboard. Not to mention the islands, central america, and europe. Why does everyone think we are going to make this mad exodus to PHX. Granted there are a handful that live on the west coast that may want to go to PHX when it is possible after the "laugh" 120 year fence comes down. Most senior momma and a great number of more junior f/a's like doing our stuff were use to doing just as you and your one base operation are use to doing. Soon we'll be a 7 base operation and will be doing alot of new stuff. Be positive, optomistic and don't be so concerned with the few.

Travelpro72 said:
I hope the flying options really open up for both carriers but a quick question. Has anyone at HP looked at the US route map or the combined carriers route map? We fly to a hell of alot of places up and down the eastern seaboard. Not to mention the islands, central america, and europe. Why does everyone think we are going to make this mad exodus to PHX. Granted there are a handful that live on the west coast that may want to go to PHX when it is possible after the "laugh" 120 year fence comes down. Most senior momma and a great number of more junior f/a's like doing our stuff were use to doing just as you and your one base operation are use to doing. Soon we'll be a 7 base operation and will be doing alot of new stuff. Be positive, optomistic and don't be so concerned with the few.
[post="299695"][/post]​

I've been talking to a alot of people and they all say the combined routes are impressive. It's US Airways missing other half, it's like the missing piece of the whole. Who knows? We might even open up 2 more hubs like in the midwest and another one in the northwest! If HP and US can pull this off, we'll be the apple of the airline industry!
:)

TheNewLowFare said:
I've been talking to a alot of people and they all say the combined routes are impressive. It's US Airways missing other half, it's like the missing piece of the whole. Who knows? We might even open up 2 more hubs like in the midwest and another one in the northwest! If HP and US can pull this off, we'll be the apple of the airline industry!
:)
[post="299699"][/post]​
:up: Well then they can open more crew domicles and the HP f/as can stop belly achin about PHX!! One can only hope!!!!

Well it is to my understanding that before the negotiations between HP and mgmt on their new contract stopped, one of the things they wanted were satelite bases. I agree that the combined route map is impressive. Hopefully we can build off it and enjoy some new flying.

Back