Carty Needs to Resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy4u

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
I think the time has come that the board of directors at AA take some drastic changes with AA management. Every day this company continues to complain about less profits and the need for more layoffs. When will it end? The morale of the employees at AA continues to get worse. It''s time for AA to realize that it is the employees that will make you money, and not this corporate attitude that AA has relied on for years. If AA is determined to make a drastic change, and continues to state that airline travel is going to go to the philosophy of the low-cost carriers, then the changes need to start at the top. It''s time for Carty to step aside as a show of comittment to this new Philosophy that AA is determined to take hold of and get someone in the drivers seat who can get our employees back to work, not to mention, this company back to profitability. Does anyone know what Herb is doing these days?

[P][FONT size=1]What's Herb doing? [STRONG]Not[/STRONG] leaving his baby anytime soon, thats for sure.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]Take a look at UAL and the effect that the lack of stability in the CEO position is having on them,both on Wall Street and internally.We don't need that here.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]What would you do in the top spot? Not lay anyone off and keep having planes driving around half empty, carrying loads that don't cover the crew and fuel costs? Or bite the bullet, make the tough calls and do what it takes to staunch as much of the bleeding as possible?[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]I wouldn't want Carty's job for all the Tea in China right now,would you?[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1][/FONT] [/P]

I am not sure what the answer is at the top right now is, but its obvious Carty isn't. There are people out there who have stated that the employees at AA love their job and with the right leadership at the top this company can get back to profits. ( Crandell for one ). Everyday AA shouts that they are making no money, yet I fly these planes on a daily basis and they are Full. So as to the remark that half empty planes are flying around out there seems to be misleading. Also, AA states that load factors are slowly on the rebound yet the company needs to offer more leaves to the employees because they are still going to have an overage for the month of November. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't November and December the busiest travel months of the entire year?

Did I just hear another agent buying off passengers because the flight is oversold? No it must be my Imagination!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/6/2002 4:53:12 PM LGA Fleet Service wrote:

I wouldn't want Carty's job for all the Tea in China right now,would you?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yup. I'll take it - and all of his stock and his 12 Mil a year. For that, I could fix ALL the problems.

I cant say the morale has declined. I think I work with alot of people who are happy and grateful to be working.

To Don Carty's benefit. He has yet to attack the employees, as so many other CEO's have already. In trying to get pay and benefits reduced.

The planes are quite ful here in and out of Miami. But if you take a moment or two and look at the passenger TKT or reciet. Look at the fare. They are still dirt cheap.

Actually I would suggest that the John Ward of the APFA resign and along with him, any one who supprts his views.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/6/2002 10:30:23 PM ART wrote:

Actually I would suggest that the John Ward of the APFA resign and along with him, any one who supprts his views.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Guess that means you want all AA people to resign. Would be nice for you all. Then you could pretend you are still TW.

This management, the corporate culture. These unions. The employees. Our way of doing things. Is all part of what AA is and what makes it work.

IF you dont like John Ward or anyone else. No one is forcing you to stay. Think about this. We wont be changing to suit you. This is not TWA any more. You were offered employment at AA. Nobody is making you or anyone else stay.

Wings Writes:

Yup. I'll take it - and all of his stock and his 12 Mil a year. For that, I could fix ALL the problems.
--------------------------------------------------

http://www.ecomponline.com/executive.tcl?p...ORP&datayr=2000

Hey Wings,

$12 Million yearly, how did you get that figure? The real question is why would anybody qualified to be a CEO as Carty is, work for an airline, when he could earn his AMR salary ten-fold elsewhere.

http://www.aflcio.org/cgi-bin/aflcio.pl

Maybe it's the free travel benefits?

[P][BR][FONT size=1]Carty doesn't need to resign,he needs to simplify the fare structure, break with the herd and lose all of these nickle and dime fees we are hitting our passengers with before they even set foot on our aircraft.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]Don't scoff, people are offended by the airlines reaching into their wallets every time they turn around.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]Read some of the comments on Flyertalk and some of the other forums.The people who pay our wages are getting fed up.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]Now if American was to pare the $100.00 change fee down to a more reasonable $25.00,or allow passengers to utilize their tickets past the published travel date for another $25.00 what do you think would happen?[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]The positive FREE publicity we would reap from that would be an extra point or two in the load factor alone, let alone what impact it would have on the price of the stock.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]Should it cost our passengers $100.00 for a few quick key strokes in Sabre? No.[/FONT][BR][BR][FONT size=1]Allowing Dad to get on an earlier flight home without soaking him for an extra C note is how you keep him flying American in the future.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT size=1]And that is the bottom line.[/FONT][/P]

Carty is a graduate of the best airline CEO school in the countyr, The Crandall School. He is doing a great job, I would agree that right now it got to suck working at AA, but these are times which call for cuts. With the TWA purchase, even with no 9/11, there were going to be cuts. With 9/11 and TWA the human cost is even more profound. AA is doing good things like flying from JFk to Tokyo and next spring LAX to Tokyo, If DAL hadn't stoped AA would not fly from LAX to Japan. Here is a great example of how DAL's mistakes are AA's opportunity. AA being from Texas, thinks BIG, I like that idea better then thinking small. Go for ot Don.

777 Writes: Carty is a graduate of the best airline CEO school in the countyr, The Crandall School.
------------------------------------------------------------

Nope; Crandall was nursed by Al Casey. When 'Darth' was ready to assume command he turned away from the force. He dealt with his enemies most effectively. Still he left ' Luke ' Carty a better empire. Luke Carty has proven his mettle, but many battles still lay ahead.

Fuel, security and the unmentionable ( whisper..labor ) are his latest challenges.

Can Luke hold her steady? Stay tuned.

May the force be with you, Carty.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/7/2002 8:24:41 AM JFK777 wrote:

AA is doing good things
----------------
[/blockquote]

I'm glad to see a few people actually recognize that we're trying to make lemonade out of lemons, rather than just asking for employee givebacks or stiffing our creditors. It's just that we have more lemonade than there are people who want to drink it right now, and last time I checked, gourmet lemonade wasn't exactly a hot commodity...

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/7/2002 8:24:41 AM JFK777 wrote:

Carty is a graduate of the best airline CEO school in the countyr," The Crandall School."

----------------
[/blockquote]

One of the reasons I stick around, actually. In a lot of ways, working in HDQ management is a lot better than going to business school, since we learn all the same stuff (eventually) and get paid for it...

[blockquote]
Go for ot Don.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Sorry, but I'm sure that Don has probably put in more overtime during the past 13 months than anyone could possibly want...

AAquila;
The real question is why would anybody qualified to be a CEO as Carty is, work for an airline, when he could earn his AMR salary ten-fold elsewhere.

When you have more money than you'll ever spend why would you still work at all? POWER. What industry can offer an executive as great a challenge, more excitement and more power than an airline? Other industries can offer more of any one component but what can offer all three?

Crandall? No thanks. Even though Carty called me a liar I'd still rather have him than Crandall.
Layoffs are a part of the business cycle. Its unfortunate but thats why we have seniority. Years ago you could expect to get laid off every year until you got enough seniority. Personally I'd like to see some sort of job-sharing to avoid the layoffs. The worst thing to do is to agree to work the same hours for less money. So far Carty hasnt said anything about paycuts. So far thats paying off for the company. JFK just had their best summer since 1995 when it comes to dependability, overtime is at a minimum, so the pay raise really didnt cost the company anything. What did that frenchman say? Morale beats materiel 3 to 1. Or something like that. Overall, with the exception of the TWA stuff, morale is pretty good. Thats reflected in the performance. Now if marketing could start selling those tickets at a decent price...

Carty needs to resign? The economy is Carty's fault too, right? Who would you like to see run the airline, Jimmy Hoffa?

The bread and butter of the airline buisness is not traveling right now. Business travel is down in unpresedented proportions, fares are as low or lower than they were 20 years ago, yet their costs continue to increase. AA, and all of the majors need to reduce their cost structure, and lowering thier controlable costs are the way to do it. Unfortunately it is going to be at the expense of some people's jobs. Face it, it is a reality!

Sorry Flyboy4u, but we are not in Kansas anymore.

On 10/6/2002 3:58:37 PM Flyboy4u wrote:

I think the time has come that the board of directors at AA take some drastic changes with AA management. Every day this company continues to complain about less profits and the need for more layoffs. When will it end? The morale of the employees at AA continues to get worse. It's time for AA to realize that it is the employees that will make you money, and not this corporate attitude that AA has relied on for years. If AA is determined to make a drastic change, and continues to state that airline travel is going to go to the philosophy of the low-cost carriers, then the changes need to start at the top. It's time for Carty to step aside as a show of comittment to this new Philosophy that AA is determined to take hold of and get someone in the drivers seat who can get our employees back to work, not to mention, this company back to profitability. Does anyone know what Herb is doing these days?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Status
Not open for further replies.