Champagne/sparkling wine on US

Aug 20, 2002
As we all know, the airline industry has seen many amenities disappear in the last ten (or more years). While in F/C on a US flight recently, it occurred me to that champagne/sparkling wine is gone and wondered how long it has been. (Yeah, it has been a long time since Western Airlines offered free Champagne. In coach, no less.) No, I don't expect Veuve Cliquot or anything that nice. Or even actual Champagne. Maybe just a decent domestic sparking wine.

For those of you who fly F/C more often than I do, does the lack of it take away from the "first class experience"? Hey, at least the real glassware is back.

One more general subject, for the oenophiles out there, what do you think of the current wine selections on US? I wish they would offer a choice other than Chardonnay for the white wine. Maybe a Pinot Gris?

As we all know, the airline industry has seen many amenities disappear in the last ten (or more years). While in F/C on a US flight recently, it occurred me to that champagne/sparkling wine is gone and wondered how long it has been. (Yeah, it has been a long time since Western Airlines offered free Champagne. In coach, no less.) No, I don't expect Veuve Cliquot or anything that nice. Or even actual Champagne. Maybe just a decent domestic sparking wine.

For those of you who fly F/C more often than I do, does the lack of it take away from the "first class experience"? Hey, at least the real glassware is back.

One more general subject, for the oenophiles out there, what do you think of the current wine selections on US? I wish they would offer a choice other than Chardonnay for the white wine. Maybe a Pinot Gris?

Champagne is traditionally the wine of celebration!

Nothing to celebrate here.

Back when I was flying to SEA every week, I remember drinking champagne in the plastic cups and with the free inflight box meals in First. If I remember correctly, the sparking wine disappeared shortly after that. Can't remember exactly what year that was though ... maybe 2005-06ish?

Back when I was flying to SEA every week, I remember drinking champagne in the plastic cups and with the free inflight box meals in First. If I remember correctly, the sparking wine disappeared shortly after that. Can't remember exactly what year that was though ... maybe 2005-06ish?

It was late 2003 IIRC. The bubbly was first, then those wonderful box lunches.

Now we have plenty of "Whine" served here daily and it's free!!! :lol:

It was few years before that, but I remember asking for a mimosa on a US flight. The F/A, bless her, rimmed the glass (yes, a real one) with sugar!

It was few years before that, but I remember asking for a mimosa on a US flight. The F/A, bless her, rimmed the glass (yes, a real one) with sugar!

This whole thread made me so nostalgic I went out and bought Sun Chips!!!!

I also recall a F/A from the Mimosa era. Somehow she fed me a whole bottle of Champagne on a not to long flight. As soon as I set my glass down another was waiting. God I was blasted, so I asked her, "What exactly are you trying to do"? She smiled and said, "Living vicariously through you now drink up.

I sat at McDonalds for just over 2 hours before I went to get the rental car. Then went to the Hotel to "freshen up" bfore meeting the client after lunch. Did I mention this was like a 7AM flight?

Those were the days.

I also recall a F/A from the Mimosa era. Somehow she fed me a whole bottle of Champagne on a not to long flight. As soon as I set my glass down another was waiting. God I was blasted,

Those were the days.

Brings back memories of F/C on PI, when it was only on the Calif flights. The only way to keep from drinking too much was leave the glass full. As soon as it was down and inch or two, it would be refilled.

That could have been me! LOL... Us Piedmont folks... f/a's were the ones who brought first class to usair.... UsAir had first but got rid of it before the merger w/ PI...
then when we merged they got it back. So Us folks at Piedmont had a real first class.... we carved roasts... at your seat no less... had mimosa's .... and also cut your
cheesecake right there for you too...

When we were trained ... we were told to rim your glass w/ a lemon wedge... then dip your glass in sugar... then make the mimosa... Those were the days my friend...
and I doubt that you will ever see them again! sad but true : (

Back