Checked Bag Transfer @ PHL

Dusibello

Dec 15, 2019
I'm scheduled to arrive PHL from GSP on AA 4925 in early June on a weekday @ 17:09.

Then depart PHL on AA 718 for FCO @ 18:30.

Assuming normal conditions and on-time arrival would anyone care to give odds on the chance of a checked bag making the Rome flight with me?

I'm not a baggage person, but based on my own experience I'd say odds are in your favor..Whats more, in the unlikely chance the bags didnt make it, the airline would get them to your final destination in short order.

...in the unlikely chance the bags didnt make it, the airline would get them to your final destination in short order.
Thanks -- good to hear the optimism. My final destination is down south in Puglia (several hundred miles from FCO). Don't suppose AA would fetch it to me so far afield from FCO?

4AB050CB-5BCD-469F-A90A-BFECAB748B9D.png
Thanks -- good to hear the optimism. My final destination is down south in Puglia (several hundred miles from FCO). Don't suppose AA would fetch it to me so far afield from FCO?

AA.com has the ability to track your baggage and I use it every time with never any problems.

First, let me say I'm GREEN with envy. I love Italy. Now, don't leave the airport without a couple of things...
1. A talk with a baggage supervisor about whether or not they will deliver to Puglia. You might be surprised. It you are flying American all the way to FCO, this may be your lucky day. If your leg into FCO is on Alitalia, not so much. If they say NO, at least there are trains (according to Google) Puglia from/to Rome. Having to go back to get your luggage is not a fun addition to your trip, but you're in Italy! Things could be worse.

Caveat: My question to Google was "Is there train service from Puglia to FCO. The affirmative answer kept coming up connecting Rome to Canosa di Puglia. If Canosa di Puglia and Puglia are the same, Bingo! (I'm not well-versed on the south of Italy.)

Last edited:
First, let me say I'm GREEN with envy. I love Italy.)
What's not to love? Went there the first time as a USAF 1-striper in 1979. (The AF flew me there from PHL on a 'World Airways' charter to Naples.) Go back every chance I get... Wonderful.

The GSP/PHL leg is an AA-branded regional, then AA from PHL to FCO. And for sure there is fast, efficient train service from FCO to just about every nook-and-cranny on the peninsula, including a somewhat 'remote' region like Puglia (and its small towns like Canosa).

Thanks for the info. I'll query AA about their policy and share what I learn here. I usually carry-on only but nowadays I'm inclined to check a bag so as to avoid the competition for overhead bin space.

According to a nice person who picked up my call at AA if the bag is delayed they will get it to me anywhere in Italy. If I was staying Rome it would be within a few hours of its arrival. Way down south in Puglia probably a day or so. Good to know.

I'm scheduled to arrive PHL from GSP on AA 4925 in early June on a weekday @ 17:09.

Assuming normal conditions and on-time arrival would anyone care to give odds on the chance of a checked bag making the Rome flight with me?

I give you a 0 percent chance based on what happened to us; AA flight from Baltimore to Philly, then connect Philly to Rome. We arrived fine, but our bags didn't show up for 4 days -- apparently AA sent them on a nice vacation to Spain and couldn't be bothered to expend any more resources getting them to us in a timely manner to atone for their mistake. Then gave us a half-smile apology. The only way I'd fly AA again is if they gave me a free first-class ticket,

What's not to love? Went there the first time as a USAF 1-striper in 1979. (The AF flew me there from PHL on a 'World Airways' charter to Naples.) Go back every chance I get... Wonderful.

The GSP/PHL leg is an AA-branded regional, then AA from PHL to FCO. And for sure there is fast, efficient train service from FCO to just about every nook-and-cranny on the peninsula, including a somewhat 'remote' region like Puglia (and its small towns like Canosa).

Thanks for the info. I'll query AA about their policy and share what I learn here. I usually carry-on only but nowadays I'm inclined to check a bag so as to avoid the competition for overhead bin space.

up until the mid 2000s, i used to take a train from roma termini to brindisi.

train heads south, stops at benevento (not far from naples)..then cuts east to foggia...south to bari, change trains and then brindisi. train goes on to lecce.

good memories. good people. very traveler-friendly country. i took a train from paris to rome and when the train was 90 minutes or so from rome - all you could see looking east was wheat. no wonder ancient rome could support a large population.

Last edited:

I don't work in PHL, but 1 hour, 21 minute connection time dumping an Express Jet with 50 bags? Should make that with less than 30 minutes if the transfer people know what they are doing. I don't think the bags need to go through Customs before FCO, right? Am I missing something?

I don't work in PHL, but 1 hour, 21 minute connection time dumping an Express Jet with 50 bags? Should make that with less than 30 minutes if the transfer people know what they are doing. I don't think the bags need to go through Customs before FCO, right? Am I missing something?

As far as I know, you are correct, checked bags outbound from the country do not go through Customs unless there is suspicion of or a formal alert regarding excess amounts of money or drug transportation, etc.
They will be x-rayed at some point by the TSA, but that's just normal security procedure.