Christmas Giving In The Workplace

EricLv2Fish

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
I hope folks will use this to post their personal Christmas workgroup stories. There are sure to be good ones and sure to be "grinch" ones. Hopefully their will be more good ones than "grinch" ones. I'll start.

Recently I left my workgroup under a reorganization plan. I'm only down the hall from my previous workgroup and visit them several times a day. I have workpackages to deliver and pickup in the area so I'm able to keep in touch with everyone. With the merger and moves going on and all it was very easy to lose sight of my previous workgroup's traditional gift exchange. Minutes before packing it in for the evening and going home for the night, one of my former co-workers asked me to stop by before going home. Intrigued, I immediately walked down the hall and approached her cubicle. She rose from her chair and guided me to the workgroup's Christmas tree and handed me a package. I was completely caught off guard and thanked her for the gift. Of course...as soon as I was out of view I had to sneak a peak. Boy was I surprised! Wrapped in light weight paper and carefully placed in a gift bag was the most thoughtful gift I could imagine anyone giving EricLv2Fish. To my surprise it was a gorgeous handcrafted top-water fishing plug! Now that was special! Thank you Char! You folks have been wonderful! :up:

Both areas I have worked in did a Secret Santa since the departments were really small.

My first department we gave our Secret Santa a few small gifts ($1.00 limit) and then one large one ($15 limit) at our "Santa Reveil"

In my new department we just do one large gift ($20 limit)

We always had a good time....

Every year a group of us in our work area choose one of our 4 supervisors to give a gift to.
Usually a gift card to a nicer restaurant.. Mostly just to give a gift to a good supervisor,
but it also kinda a plays psych job on the other 3 when they find out they were left out. :rolleyes:

it also kinda a plays psych job on the other 3 when they find out they were left out. :rolleyes:

Yes, that can really touch a nerve with some. That is the downside when someone is unintentionally or intentionally left out.

Well, I was at work tonite and beleive me it was a very stressful one. Cxld and late flights everywhere. Mandatory overtime and all. And as we were working our "zones" a couple of agents came to our gates and gave us a little bag of candy. And then another came around with a handmade christmas ornament filled with white sand and shells with a poem she had written. It really made my night...

Let me tell you about my most memorable "spirit" of Christmas giving story from the work-place...

Several years ago I was temping at a computer software company. Most of us had been hired in November and no one really knew each other very well, but we wanted to do something for Christmas. There were about 30 of us in this rather large department. We decided to have a pot-luck luncheon and instead of exchanging gifts with virtual strangers, someone suggested we pick 2 children from the local charity "wish" tree. We each donated $10. We picked one boy and one girl -- each requested 3 gifts. Our managers went out and bought the bicycle, the basketball, and ??? for the boy and the roller-blades, the barbie-doll, and ??? for the girl (sorry, I don't recall what all the gifts were.) The 2 managers made up the small cash shortfall. They brought the gifts to the pot-luck and the men put the bicycle together and we all played with the basketball and all wrapped the presents for the kids and dropped them off at the charity. Now, here's the best part, about 10 days later we received thank-you notes and pictures. These children were so grateful and thankful and humble in their words and the pictures of their smiles were enough to bring tears to your eyes! I felt sooooo good about what we did -- and still do. I smile whenever I tell this story.

That was 9 years ago. I have suggested this to every workgroup since that has wanted to do a "secret Santa" or "white elephant" exchange. It's a sad comment that no one has ever agreed to do it again. Everyone has been more interested in buying a $10 gift, or whatever, and getting something in return. I think we're all missing out on the "spirit". Most true gifts are like the one Eric received -- well thought out and appropriate for the recipient and without any expectation of anything in return. Frankly, I'm tired of "giving" to some of my co-workers that don't need anything, really, and the others that couldn't care less... I wish I had copies of those thank-you notes and pictures -- I know I could change some ways and more people could experience the true "spirit" of giving and what it means at Christmas-time...

Anyways, wishing all my co-workers and their families and friends a safe and warm and happy -- MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Glad to hear the good stories but our group does nothing. We are so short staffed all most of us want is it to be over.

Yeah, I can sympathize with that statement, but Express in PIT has the spirit, I suppose. A couple of holiday parties here and there, people dropping off cards to one another, the Santa Hats and holiday garb and management taking care of the meals for those working on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It might be small stuff, but it does put you in a better mood when everything becomes more difficult due to weather or maintenance.

To all of the PSA and Mainline employees in PIT, Happy Holidays from the Prince of PAWOBs!

Latest posts