Clt Crew Base Shrinkage

StewGuy86

Senior
Sep 1, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I just saw the Most Junior F/A Lineholder info for October on The Hub. Just as I figured, with the exception of PIT...which has lost hub status....the crew base most affected by the loss of flying time resulting from the aircraft that are being returned is CLT.

The hire date of the most junior non-LODO lineholder for Sept. in CLT is 1-11-88 and for PHL it's 8-10-89. For October, those dates drop to 6-29-87 for CLT and only 6-5-89 for PHL.

Why does the hub with far more mainline flights have less time to begin with and why does it lose more in this scenario? And who decides which crew base gets how much flying? Seems to me the largest hub would be a more efficient and logical place for the largest crew base. If someone can explain this to me, I'd certainly appreciate it. And don't tell me it's because of the Int'l flying out of PHL. Before the fence came down and Transatlantic was a separate division, the domestic PHL base was quite a bit larger than the CLT domestic base.

StewGuy86 said:
I just saw the Most Junior F/A Lineholder info for October on The Hub. Just as I figured, with the exception of PIT...which has lost hub status....the crew base most affected by the loss of flying time resulting from the aircraft that are being returned is CLT.

The hire date of the most junior non-LODO lineholder for Sept. in CLT is 1-11-88 and for PHL it's 8-10-89. For October, those dates drop to 6-29-87 for CLT and only 6-5-89 for PHL.

Why does the hub with far more mainline flights have less time to begin with and why does it lose more in this scenario? And who decides which crew base gets how much flying? Seems to me the largest hub would be a more efficient and logical place for the largest crew base. If someone can explain this to me, I'd certainly appreciate it. And don't tell me it's because of the Int'l flying out of PHL. Before the fence came down and Transatlantic was a separate division, the domestic PHL base was quite a bit larger than the CLT domestic base.
[post="293716"][/post]​

The drop may have more to do with displaced f/a coming from PIT than loss of time. I know there are also PIT f/a who have transfered into CLT due to being put back on reserve.

Dude -

My assumption would be that there is more "short-haul" flying out of CLT then there is in PHL. Also when you look at flights out of PHL to FL, the Caribbean, etc, the block time is much greater. PHL-FLL is 2:45 while CLT-FLL is 1:50. You can get a crew to do 2 round trips out of CLT to Florida while you can only get 1.5 out of PHL. The difference in block time could be a cause for the need for additional crew members. And yes, the International Service would also be a driving factor. If we run 14 European flights out of PHL in Oct and 9-10 in Nov, you still have a greater need for F/A's in PHL, versus CLT with their 2 flights a day. Toss in the addition of Caribbean and FL flying out of PHL on the 767 during the winter months and you still have a greater need when destinations like SNN, DUB, GLA abd BCN go away the end of Oct.

MarkMyWords said:
Dude -

My assumption would be that there is more "short-haul" flying out of CLT then there is in PHL. Also when you look at flights out of PHL to FL, the Caribbean, etc, the block time is much greater. PHL-FLL is 2:45 while CLT-FLL is 1:50. You can get a crew to do 2 round trips out of CLT to Florida while you can only get 1.5 out of PHL. The difference in block time could be a cause for the need for additional crew members. And yes, the International Service would also be a driving factor. If we run 14 European flights out of PHL in Oct and 9-10 in Nov, you still have a greater need for F/A's in PHL, versus CLT with their 2 flights a day. Toss in the addition of Caribbean and FL flying out of PHL on the 767 during the winter months and you still have a greater need when destinations like SNN, DUB, GLA abd BCN go away the end of Oct.
[post="293725"][/post]​

I never did understand why they would build the new D concourse in CLT and then only have 2 flights a day to Europe. I also would like to know what we are going to fly to DUB, GLA and BCN now that they have sold 4 767s. If AWA starts flying Hawaii, why not do the same out of CLT and PHL? Of course we will need the planes to do so.

Guess you never been to concourse D.

With all the carribean flights and the two europe flights plus the LH flight to MUC, there are not enough gates there after they built the addition.

And US did not get rid of any of the four 767s, they sold them and leased them back.

It would help if you actually looked into things before posting.

700UW said:
Guess you never been to concourse D.

With all the carribean flights and the two europe flights plus the LH flight to MUC, there are not enough gates there after they built the addition.

And US did not get rid of any of the four 767s, they sold them and leased them back.

It would help if you actually looked into things before posting.
[post="293735"][/post]​

I've seen plenty of the D concourse and worked many a flight out of it including LGW, FRA and yes even CDG when we had it.

I don't think the city of Charlotte had STT and NAS, PHL and BDL (yes, Hartford Ct.) in mind when they spent millions of dollars for an international concourse.

Also, I did not say they got rid of the 767s, I think I mentioned that they are sold.

Tahitigirl -

The D con was expanded in the hopes of attracting additional international service. It worked to some extent because of all of the additional flying to the Caribbean.

As 700 mentioned the 4 airplanes were sold and leased back, so they will still be available to fly European service again next year.

As for Hawaii service......you just never know. If/when we get the A350's service to Hawaii may be a possiblibty. Word of caution - the load factors to Hawaii may be high, but the revenue is not. Right now, it is all about the money.

This is a pic I found

Attachments

• 300px_A350concept.jpeg
    300px_A350concept.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 131
tahitigirl said:
I also would like to know what we are going to fly to DUB, GLA and BCN now that they have sold 4 767s.  If AWA starts flying Hawaii, why not do the same out of CLT and PHL?  Of course we will need the planes to do so.
[post="293729"][/post]​
Yes you did say what are they going to use since US sold four 767s.

And I worked the D-Concourse for years on the International and plenty of times we had to wait for an open gate since ALL the gates were full.

Check the place out on a Saturday afternoon, no gate space.