CLT F/As more important than PIT ?

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
Congrats to all of those in CLT who will not be getting displaced. I have to ask however why the same consideration was not given to those F/As in PIT as it would only be 40 active.
The offer of voluntary furlough was given to CLT but we were not considered for it. It might seem to some like whining but why is it acceptable to cause "unwanted disruption" of the PIT F/As lives but not those in CLT. We were not even given the opportunity to voice our dismay as those down in CLT did such a great job of doing.

Below is my letter to Doug Parker, Sherri Shamblin, Scott Kirby, Mike Finn and Mike Flores cc'd in. Even if you are not based in PIT but would like to show solidarity for your fellow F/As in what is now the shell of the base it used to be we would appreciate your contacting them also.
Thanks,
Songbirdstew

Dear Mr. Parker,
I read with interest Scott Kirby's letter rescinding the CLT displacements and announcement of recalls. For the CLT based F/As I am very happy but as I read on, I thought, "What about those of us here in PIT?" We are the base with the most SR RSVs. The PIT base that used to have approx. 3000 F/As....and what are we down to 400 now ? Let's REALLY talk about whose lives have been disrupted.

As I continued reading, I began to get very angry. Neither Scott Kirby or Sherri Shamblin came here to Pittsburgh to have a meeting with us. Can you explain to me why we do not deserve the same courtesy ? If Scott and Sherri did come here I know that the PIT F/As would be more than happy to remind him of the "sacrifices we've made to keep USAirways flying." No base has taken a more "personal toll" on our family lives and career expectations than this Pittsburgh base.

If CLT can still remain overstaffed then why not allow the 40 active F/As in PIT to remain also ? This displacement is creating a HUGE hardship on our PIT F/As as space on A/C to any other base is at a premium. I cannot tell you how many PIT-PHL commuters spend their hard earned money paying for seats on our competitor Southwest every week in order to get to work.

Scott Kirby took the time to weigh the effects on those in CLT. Is Tempe saying that CLT and their employees are more important than those in PIT ? That's what it sounds like to me. Mr. Kirby is very concerned about CLT and has decided to minimize the "unwanted disruption to your lives," however I ask again, what about our lives here in PIT ? Was consideration even given to offering unpaid leaves of absence here in PIT like those being offered in CLT ? It certainly is not good for the already low morale of this work force to favor one base over another. Come to Pittsburgh for a meeting with us, consider this your formal invitation.

I am insulted and angry that my life has been disregarded once again as a 20 year flight attendant. I cannot tell you the amount of disrespect I feel for the Pittsburgh base by this decision. The company is clearly valuing the lives of the CLT based F/As over those of us in PIT and it is WRONG.

I will still be based in Pittsburgh however I will now be 13 from the bottom and will not see another weekend off unless I use my vacation. Does my life, my family and my service to this company over the last 20 years mean anything ? When is enough enough ?
I would appreciate the answer to that question at your earliest convenience.

I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however, how many years has PIT sat safe with a 50% RSV factor? Even after the displacements isn't it down in the what?, 30% area after this? The rest of the bases run at 18-20%. The writing was on the wall a long long time ago for PIT. It's not like these folks are going to come into other bases as RSVs as they can all hold blocks. Sorry guys but PIT can't just stay open and way overstaffed because it was once the center of the USAir world. This happened in LAX, SAN, SFO, ect and I think PIT has been given more than any of those bases were afforded.

I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however, how many years has PIT sat safe with a 50% RSV factor?
Yes, PIT stands at a 30% RSV factor that is true. However don't you think that the F/As should at least be offered a voluntary furlough before they displace. The other bases you mentioned closed, for now PIT is still open. I have talked to two already just today who would prefer to take a VF but that is not being offered. If they were closing the base that would be one thing.

I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however, how many years has PIT sat safe with a 50% RSV factor? Even after the displacements isn't it down in the what?, 30% area after this? The rest of the bases run at 18-20%. The writing was on the wall a long long time ago for PIT. It's not like these folks are going to come into other bases as RSVs as they can all hold blocks. Sorry guys but PIT can't just stay open and way overstaffed because it was once the center of the USAir world. This happened in SFO, SAN, SFO, ect and I think PIT has been given more than any of those bases were afforded.
Sad, but true!

The VF program is a great thing but as much as we would like too, we can't just rewrite the contract as we go along. Both sides must agree, I hope they would like to help you guys out but look around. Unlikely. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they "choke off" the flying in LAX and try to force people out before it was announced closed? They are doing the same to PIT in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't think there is more than one base closure on the horizon is delusional. I feel bad for you guys but this is life in the industry.

Probably because even with the 40 gone, PIT will still be overstaffed. Not to mention they have the most miserable negative flight attendants in the system. I actually think it is funny these people who are on reserve now where the same people that used to look down on reserves as the scum of the earth back in the good old days of PIT.

[ I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however,... The writing was on the wall a long long time ago for PIT. It's not like these folks are going to come into other bases as RSVs as they can all hold blocks. Sorry guys but PIT can't just stay open and way overstaffed because it was once the center of the USAir world.

You belong right up there at the sandcastle. Probably one of the "most rude and uncaring" posts I have seen in a while. The entire focus of discussion, here and on the original thread was about how the company was not considering what the displacements would do to people's lives and familys...and here you come with your self serving "logic" that a certain group of F/As had it coming anyway.

What a crock, probably one of the worst posts this year.

Disgusted. Greeter.

Probably because even with the 40 gone, PIT will still be overstaffed. Not to mention they have the most miserable negative flight attendants in the system. I actually think it is funny these people who are on reserve now where the same people that used to look down on reserves as the scum of the earth back in the good old days of PIT.

Not even close. You want miserable, head to PHL or LGA since it sure seems like the vast majority of F/As that I run across (with the exception of transatlantic out of PHL) really don't want to be in PHL or LGA.

I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however, how many years has PIT sat safe with a 50% RSV factor? Even after the displacements isn't it down in the what?, 30% area after this? The rest of the bases run at 18-20%. The writing was on the wall a long long time ago for PIT. It's not like these folks are going to come into other bases as RSVs as they can all hold blocks. Sorry guys but PIT can't just stay open and way overstaffed because it was once the center of the USAir world. This happened in LAX, SAN, SFO, ect and I think PIT has been given more than any of those bases were afforded.

As a customer - it just amazes me at the complaining and whining that goes on on these boards. You are all union employees, with a union negotiated contract, and then when something doesn't go your way you expect the company to do what isn't in the contract. Give me a break! You work in a union shop - you live with the union contract - and get over it. If you were at Delta it would be a different story - and I might have some sympathy - but you aren't - so deal with it!

[ I don't mean to sound rude or uncaring however,... The writing was on the wall a long long time ago for PIT. It's not like these folks are going to come into other bases as RSVs as they can all hold blocks. Sorry guys but PIT can't just stay open and way overstaffed because it was once the center of the USAir world.
You belong right up there at the sandcastle. Probably one of the "most rude and uncaring" posts I have seen in a while. The entire focus of discussion, here and on the original thread was about how the company was not considering what the displacements would do to people's lives and familys...and here you come with your self serving "logic" that a certain group of F/As had it coming anyway.

What a crock, probably one of the worst posts this year.

Disgusted. Greeter.

Sorry you feel that way. I have friends that this effects and they understood this was coming. Others seem to feel like no matter what PIT must stay open. I don't understand that as a person that has been through base closures and displacements. I do feel for them because it's not fun and it's disruptive. My best of luck to everyone this effects and i hope the Sandcastle listens.

Time to wake up. Enough with taking every perceived slight to PIT personally. LCC has moved on. PIT is no longer a crucial part of LCC's vision. It's a business decision. Deal with it. If you can't deal with it, find some other employer in PIT who you think loves its employees, if that is what you are looking for from an employer.

It's too bad, because PIT is a great city. But apparently it is not great enough from a $ perspective for LCC, or any other major international carrier, to center its plans on.

As a customer - it just amazes me at the complaining and whining that goes on on these boards. You are all union employees, with a union negotiated contract, and then when something doesn't go your way you expect the company to do what isn't in the contract. Give me a break! You work in a union shop - you live with the union contract - and get over it. If you were at Delta it would be a different story - and I might have some sympathy - but you aren't - so deal with it!

Oh you again? As a customer why don't you butt out? B) No one needs your Negative Nancy anti union crap.

You are all union employees, with a union negotiated contract, and then when something doesn't go your way you expect the company to do what isn't in the contract.

Maybe because our two trips though BK, 911, and the creation of TSA has neutered our contracts. That coupled with the fact the company does not even honor our current contracts makes your argument mute.

But I understand what you are saying.

Greeter.

Oh you again? As a customer why don't you butt out? B) No one needs your Negative Nancy anti union crap.

Who you calling Nancy?

I'm not anti-union crap - all I'm saying is - you are in a union - you negotiated a contract - so live with it. If you don't want to - then work in a non-union shop. There are pros and cons to both - but you chose where you are.

And that is exactly the attitude I'm talking about - "as a customer why don't you butt out" - that is a MAJOR problem with US and why the company is in the condition it is in - not only from Mgt but from employees.

A contract that was negotiated and passed with a GUN to everyone's head? Oh I have a lot of respect for that. :rolleyes: Like I said, not your place to chime in. And another thing that just amazes me. At what point do people think its all fair game to nose into pay issues and others personal business? I mean, do I zoom up into your office and give my opinion on how much you make, what your wearing or where your company sends you for employment? Where I come from that is considered Taboo and downright rude. Once during one of the bankruptcies a passenger just starting asking me how I felt about having my pay cut and how much I was making now. I just looked at her in shock and said " I'm sorry do I know you? Thats rather personal" At what point did it become fair game to just insert yourself into our contract and personal life? :blink: