CNBC AA Special-WHATS YOUR FAVORITE PART?

Crandall is known for having kept labor in its place as long as possible, so I wouldn't say he was the worst at labor relations. His approach was just different and harder to take advantage of.

He might not have been friends with the union presidents, but he was certainly respected, unlike most airline CEO's today, who are viewed as either weak, crooked, or just in it for the money.

I don't know of anyone who could claim that Crandall was in it for anything except for the love of the industry. That's why you still see him on camera almost 10 years after he retired -- just name one other retired CEO who gets interviewed as much as RLC does?

I didn't bother watching it, but it is re-running on Sunday so I'll TiVo it then to watch at some point.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='423803' date='Oct 19 2006, 11:49 PM']"You can leave a donation at the door." - Arpey

Gee, you think that comment will piss off labor???[/quote]
I left mine in the toilet. :shock:

I like how Mr. Arpey talked how the start of his love of aviation began with his father, who worked for TWA.

You would think that something as long lasting, as sentimental as that. He would correct a wrong, and not allow anyone from the takeover of TWA fall of the recall list.

I think its safe to say they share a love of aviation equal to him. Some on the list maintained, flew, or served him and his parents the planes and times there were onboard.

Thats a good way to throttle any expansion plans; hire additional employees at the top out rate. All in the the way of mawkishness.

He was in front of the aircraft in Bay 3..

You noticed he didn't interview the two mechanics coming down the stairs...

I certainly did.

I kept waiting to hear/see something from JFK employees, but...

I wasn't betting on hearing any voice(s) of dissent, but I thought for sure they might do something on the AMT with 60+ years of seniority.

I certainly did.

I kept waiting to hear/see something from JFK employees, but...

I wasn't betting on hearing any voice(s) of dissent, but I thought for sure they might do something on the AMT with 60+ years of seniority.

Yea, I forget about that.. An interview with Al "Blackie" Blackman and his more than six decades of AA service would have been more than fitting for a "Week in the Life"

Thats a good way to throttle any expansion plans; hire additional employees at the top out rate. All in the the way of mawkishness.
And I thought expansion was stpped due to the cost of oil and a traveling public unwilling to fooot the bill.

The difference between a new hire and a SR is more than made up for in work ethic.

And I thought expansion was stpped due to the cost of oil and a traveling public unwilling to fooot the bill.

The difference between a new hire and a SR is more than made up for in work ethic.

What you really mean to say, Mikey, is the difference between anybody and a TWAer is work ethic!

My favorite part was when they were doing how much money the DFW-BDL flight made, and how they said 1/4 of the plane paid about $50, and another 1/4 paid between 50 and 100. :lol:

Yeah like that is an accurate representation. I guess they prorated connecting passenger's fares and said they "paid" $50 for that flight. Also no mention of RT tickets.

My favorite part was when they were doing how much money the DFW-BDL flight made, and how they said 1/4 of the plane paid about $50, and another 1/4 paid between 50 and 100. :lol:

Yeah like that is an accurate representation. I guess they prorated connecting passenger's fares and said they "paid" $50 for that flight. Also no mention of RT tickets.
That reminds of another thing about that flight. AA bought someone off the flight for a $300 voucher and a nonrev made it on the flight. How does that happen?

Without a doubt the best part was Crandall's comment that he has never invested in an airline. (Sounds like Clinton!) ---- followed by airlines are great places to work but not where you want to invest.

11 F/A's on a 767 transcon? Never. High Profile Maui CHARTER, you bet. 11 F/A's on a 777 international flight? Almost always. Load permitting. But still almost always.

Why is it that Arpey wasn't asked about his total compensation package, stock awards, stock options, retirement, bonuses etc.
Check out the insider trading for amr. Redding has made millions this year on stock options and stock awards. Forget about the salary part of his compensation.

The part about burchette reaching in managements pockets was priceless though. Pockets with holes aren't to good for holding money but i guess with enough searching he'll find something in there!