CNN reporting Space Shuttle Crash this AM

Smells like terrorism to me. Israeli on board, who was one of the pilots who bombed the Iraqi nuke plant in the early 80s. Sounds like a perfect target to me.

Definately not missiles, probably something on board or sabatoge. Hopefully they find the ******* responsible and torture him slowly and publicly.

I just watched President Bush speak to our country. He gave a very comforting and touching address. He was at his finest and I appreciated his remarks very, very much.

As for details about the tragedy, here's what is known so far from NASA officials at a press briefing:

Shuttle was descending for a scheduled 9:16AM EST landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. At about 9:00AM EST while over the DFW area of Texas, at an altitude of about 200,000 feet and a speed of mach 18 (about 12,000 mph) contact and data tracking was suddenly lost. Video footage shows what appears to be the shuttle breaking up with multiple vapor trail type plumes streaking behind it. Debris has been located on the ground in a multiple state area.

As I understand it, the incident occured after the communications blackout period that occurs when a spacecraft re-enters the earth's atmosphere, and radio contact with the shuttle had been re-established.

I do not know if that means the shuttle had completed the re-entry phase or not, but obviously we have learned through the years that re-entry is a critical phase which involves tremendous heat.

Last radio transmission stopped in mid-sentence. It was the crew responding to NASA regarding a tire pressure issue. No way of knowing whether this is related, but if a tire blew with enough force, I'd imagine it could blow gear doors and expose parts of the craft to temperature extremes they were not designed for and which are normally protected by the insulating tiles on the shuttle's skin. Vague reports are also saying the shuttle may have hit something during launch and that one or more tiles came off a wing during the launch.

The Pentagon has said flat-out there is no way an anti-aircraft missle could hit the shuttle at the speed and altitude it was traveling. NASA says it was not caused by "anyone or anything" on the ground.

NASA will be holding a press conference at 3:00PM EST which will be broadcast live and have the latest known information.

Please say a prayer for our lost Astronauts.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 2:56:45 PM drifterreno wrote:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the shuttle families and the NASA family as a whole. It brought back so many memories. Alan Shepard going up for the first time, Sally Ride the first woman in space, the Apolo fire on the launch pad, and finally Challanger. I saw all of these in person and many unmaned flights before Shepard. Growing up in Florida this was our life. Please join with me in voicing our sorrow for all space pioneers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Posted By drifterreno - MOVED HERE

Kevin---this is why I don't like my comments moved to this particular page!!! My comments are for those I know and trust. NOT for some stupid itiot to add "funny" remarks to. Please move my post back to USAirways!!!

FYI
A certain "sick" post referred to was removed. Thanks Moderator.
For those who did not read it - Be Thankful.

n513au
you are one sick person. you don't belong on this message board....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/1/2003 1:39:00 PM MrMarky wrote:

I just watched President Bush speak to our country. He gave a very comforting and touching address. He was at his finest and I appreciated his remarks very, very much.

----------------
[/blockquote]

This reminds me of the quote that Ronald Reagan made during the State of the Union address - the night Challenger was destroyed.

"We will never forget them this morning as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God."

"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass this saying, that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?"

I Corinthians 15:53-55 KJV