Consolidation

Delta Ceo Says Consolidation Possible

1264637.jpg

wonder who it'll be with..... :rolleyes:

While i am generally against mergers, somebody, usually the acquiree, ends up over a barrel, its nice to be in a position of power should the inevitable happen.

"Anderson said he expects consolidation in the U.S. airline industry. He added that Delta needs to be "on the leading edge of industry changes."

Airlines foolishly buying each other is neither a new idea nor 'leading edge'.

WN, B6, Ryanair, BA & SQ are leading edge carriers.

How much are you paying this guy???

"Anderson said he expects consolidation in the U.S. airline industry. He added that Delta needs to be "on the leading edge of industry changes."

Airlines foolishly buying each other is neither a new idea nor 'leading edge'.

WN, B6, Ryanair, BA & SQ are leading edge carriers.

How much are you paying this guy???

huh? :blink:

If Richard Anderson wants to acquire another airline, he will need to sell Comair to raise the cash. He did mention the fate of Comair by years end.

The real question is...who in the world would buy Comair? Foreign partnership maybe? Things could get really interesting.

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, but first time poster. Think borescope's post is dead on. Anderson was brought on board, not only because of his CEO experience, but to merge this airline with another carrier. Just thought it would take longer for him to announce his intentions. Guess he's trying to get the "keep delta my delta" cheerleaders used to the idea.

I also think the probability of Delta merger is higher than normal between the legacy carriers, due to the small number of unions it has. Think about it, all of the industry CEO's can see the mess US Air turned into with their competing unions. How years since their merger, and they still operate as two separate entities under one roof? Where's the stockholder value in that? With Delta, however, merging the operations would be a different story.

Concerning Delta's dance partner, all indicators seem to point towards NorthWest. First off, Anderson came from there and has the contacts. The two route structures would compliment each other. The fleets are another story, but the odd-balls could easily be shed to align the new marketing needs. One thing I was wondering is why delta hasn't ordered 787's. Maybe it's because NorthWest already has them on order, and there's no point in in confusing the fleet configuration. Maybe that's pushing it, but it's something to think about.

I guess my point is all of the indicators point towards a merger, so nobody should surprised.

Jetblue takes the heat off them at JFK and opens a whole new terminal to work with. Lot less problems than trying to swallow NWA.

Interesting...certainly is reminiscent of the old Delta: buy a smaller airline to be the only competitior on the block, slowly dismantle the routes (a la Western--AirCal w/ AA and USAIR w/ PSA), and hope for the best that no one else comes in but when they do:SW in So.Calif, AirTran in ATL, find yourself competing with even lower-cost airlines...(proberbial head-slap!!, what-was-I-thinking??!!)
I don't know...I think they're thinking a little bigger than that this time w/ Richard. The $$ is in Int'l right now (Jetblue is domestic) and Delta's prescence in Asia is still pretty weak even w/ the new China service. Besides, if they make a move on Jetblue, that leaves NW hooking up w/ AA possibly (or CO?) and that would put DL in a very uncompetitive position.

AA would be a buyer if the right pieces of another carrier were for sale. No one really fits them, not UA, NWA, or DAL. We will likely see AA be part of British Airways.

Well, I do believe you may be correct in some of this statement, but others are way off... Any foreign ownership is far off before domestic mergers take place. Maybe someday but not anytime soon Mikey, that is VERY wishful thinking, though why I don't know... Who wants to be a part of BA??? Domestically your right, no one fits AA, which is why AA will more than likely sit on the sidelines... UA and CAL - DAL and NWA then AA then USAIRWAYS - those could be the big 4 - Those 2 hookups would mean fierce carriers with great hubs... One thing for sure - If this does happen, big if, but if it does AA and USAIRWAYS will feel a squeeze...

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways is looking at merger opportunities that could create a trans-Atlantic super-carrier in response to a joint venture between Delta and Air France, the Times said.

The newspaper said on Thursday that aviation sources believed British Airways (BA) was in talks with Michael Bishop, the controlling shareholder of bmi, about buying the British carrier.

It also said that BA was considering a renewed attempt to merge with American Airlines, despite two previous attempts being struck down by competition regulators.

"American Airlines is a key partner for us and in the long term we would like a closer relationship with them," a BA spokesman told Reuters in response to the report.

"We have never said that we are in talks with bmi," he added.

Latest posts