Consolidation

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways is looking at merger opportunities that could create a trans-Atlantic super-carrier in response to a joint venture between Delta and Air France, the Times said.

The newspaper said on Thursday that aviation sources believed British Airways (BA) was in talks with Michael Bishop, the controlling shareholder of bmi, about buying the British carrier.

It also said that BA was considering a renewed attempt to merge with American Airlines, despite two previous attempts being struck down by competition regulators.

"American Airlines is a key partner for us and in the long term we would like a closer relationship with them," a BA spokesman told Reuters in response to the report.

"We have never said that we are in talks with bmi," he added.

Not sure why this is on the DL board, but the article is a little misleading. First, as current ownership rules stand, AA and BA cannot merge. Second, even with "open skies" I'd be very surprised if they received antitrust immunity and full code share rights, given the amount of slots controlled by BA/AA at LHR. But, we'll see.

The post is on the Delta board to answer the post above it. BA could assume a stake in AA, although not full ownership it keeps status quo and there partner in the US from being taken over or split up with out BA consent.

Tony Cane, a BA spokesman, said Thursday that the British carrier would like "a closer relationship" with AA but that it won't seek antitrust immunity at this stage. BA and AA already have code-sharing agreements for certain flights.

The post is on the Delta board to answer the post above it. BA could assume a stake in AA, although not full ownership it keeps status quo and there partner in the US from being taken over or split up with out BA consent.

Tony Cane, a BA spokesman, said Thursday that the British carrier would like "a closer relationship" with AA but that it won't seek antitrust immunity at this stage. BA and AA already have code-sharing agreements for certain flights.

It is very doubtful, unless around 250-350 slots at LHR are given up.. Which I dont really think BA wants to do, Yes BA can invest a minority stake of up to 25% and that could keep AMR from being chopped up, unless other investors trump the 25% investment which could happen easily since one inparticular owns half that currently and wants their money back. One thing for sure, from the articles recently it looks like AMR is looking at "alternatives" as they know what is on the horizon... and its not a bright sun shiny day.....

It is very doubtful, unless around 250-350 slots at LHR are given up.. Which I dont really think BA wants to do,
That was a requirement prior to open skies at LHR
Yes BA can invest a minority stake of up to 25% and that could keep AMR from being chopped up, unless other investors trump the 25% investment which could happen easily since one inparticular owns half that currently and wants their money back.
Is this more of that fuzzy math and those fuzzy untrue facts you like to post. Wrong on both counts BTW.
One thing for sure, from the articles recently it looks like AMR is looking at "alternatives" as they know what is on the horizon... and its not a bright sun shiny day.....
NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of airline operator AMR Corp. declined Thursday as a Goldman Sachs analyst warned the stock will likely slip further as hype related to a possible spin-off fades away.

Who is better credible info, beauty or Goldman Sachs? :lol:

That was a requirement prior to open skies at LHR
Is this more of that fuzzy math and those fuzzy untrue facts you like to post. Wrong on both counts BTW.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of airline operator AMR Corp. declined Thursday as a Goldman Sachs analyst warned the stock will likely slip further as hype related to a possible spin-off fades away.

Who is better credible info, beauty or Goldman Sachs? :lol:

Thats not something I would brag about Mikey, The more your sticks slip the deeper crap you'll be in... You better (for your sake) hope the hype is true, and your stock doesn't TOTALLY crash, or - well -- we all know what will happen... Now back to DAL and consolidation....

I would try to explain why a stocks moving up or down isnt exactly tied to the reality of a company. But since as we found out you dont have the best understanding of math or reality.

PS I dont know what to do with our sticks slipping in the deep crap?

Thats not something I would brag about Mikey, The more your sticks slip the deeper crap you'll be in... You better (for your sake) hope the hype is true, and your stock doesn't TOTALLY crash, or - well -- we all know what will happen... Now back to DAL and consolidation....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not so fast..."Beauty" !

(I'm surprised at myself, for not putting this question to you, ..loooong ago)

(Question to "beauty")
Do you think, that after all these years, and the times AA Has "Dodged Bullets", or the few times that AA has fallen into a "bucket of SHET, ONLY to re-emerge wearing a NEW SUIT, and a smile on it's face.............................................has been sheer coincidence, or just PURE/100% good luck ?????????

You can "bet your A$$" IF AA sit on the sidelines, it WILL be, because THATS the most benefical place (for AA) to be.
To envision AA on the sidelines, twiddleing there thumbs and moaning "Oh poor me", would(by you) be a very STUPID mistake !

To associating AA with LCC...In ANY MANNER(short of the BOS/LGA/DCA shuttle), is another STUPID mistake.

As one of the people (in the Minority), I enjoy your posts, and admire your loyalty. Having said that(beauty) as I have learned, it's MOST productive to ARGUE with your head, than your heart(UA vs AA)

Now to the discussion(ON TOPIC),...YES, Andersen WAS brought on board(LEAPFROGGED over Delta-ites) for the top job, to handle a M/A !

FIRE AWAY :up:

I would try to explain why a stocks moving up or down isnt exactly tied to the reality of a company. But since as we found out you dont have the best understanding of math or reality.

PS I dont know what to do with our sticks slipping in the deep crap?

LOL, FAMilkey, I guarantee if your stocks drop further your investors will bark and Arpey will jump, in turn, making asset sales or worker concessions to lower cost, to enhance the performance to offset fuel prices - which are rising... The thing you haven't learned is this game isn't about you or the employees.... The investors want their money.. Period.. Sad but True.. Also, the day your 3rd Q results came out it was plastered everywhere that AA was still pondering Asset sales... Your negotiations are coming around the corner quick and you don't want unhappy investors when you are negotiating Mikey - but if thats the case, you can expect a pay cut.. DAL outperformed AA by far, bigger profits and a much smaller airline.. Look at the competition Mikey, they are leaner and meaner and don't have near the baggage of AA...

LOL, FAMilkey, I guarantee if your stocks drop further your investors will bark and Arpey will jump, in turn, making asset sales or worker concessions to lower cost, to enhance the performance to offset fuel prices - which are rising... The thing you haven't learned is this game isn't about you or the employees.... The investors want their money.. Period.. Sad but True.. Also, the day your 3rd Q results came out it was plastered everywhere that AA was still pondering Asset sales... Your negotiations are coming around the corner quick and you don't want unhappy investors when you are negotiating Mikey - but if thats the case, you can expect a pay cut.. DAL outperformed AA by far, bigger profits and a much smaller airline.. Look at the competition Mikey, they are leaner and meaner and don't have near the baggage of AA...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beauty,

Lets "just for a second" suppose that YOU, MAY have considered the following option(before you go off AGAIN, and stick your Nike's in your mouth)

(I'll admit, that IF this did happen, it would be a shift from the way things have gone for the last 25 years)

Imagine.."IF" the DFW..Pilots F/A's, FSC's, and the TUL AMT's "WAKE UP" and tell the company that they WILL strike AA unless they get a fair contract(Knowing full well that AA would reduce the employee head count dramatically)

Would F A Mikey "then" get $$$$ screwed ????

Before you answer beauty, consider these 2 FACTUAL things.
1. AA has NO plans of shutting it's doors,

And,

2. Former AA contracts, up to and including the contract of 1980(Amt's/Fsc's) were not about the members worrying about wheater junior employees stayed working. It was about getting a fair contract, and if it meant layoffs...so be it.

I see your grasp of wall street and the stock market is paralleled to your mathematic abilities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beauty,

Lets "just for a second" suppose that YOU, MAY have considered the following option(before you go off AGAIN, and stick your Nike's in your mouth)

(I'll admit, that IF this did happen, it would be a shift from the way things have gone for the last 25 years)

Imagine.."IF" the DFW..Pilots F/A's, FSC's, and the TUL AMT's "WAKE UP" and tell the company that they WILL strike AA unless they get a fair contract(Knowing full well that AA would reduce the employee head count dramatically)

Would F A Mikey "then" get $$$$ screwed ????

Before you answer beauty, consider these 2 FACTUAL things.
1. AA has NO plans of shutting it's doors,

And,

2. Former AA contracts, up to and including the contract of 1980(Amt's/Fsc's) were not about the members worrying about wheater junior employees stayed working. It was about getting a fair contract, and if it meant layoffs...so be it.

First of all, I dont wear Nikes, today i wore J Choo... Who cares what plans any company has, those plans change very frequently, you of all people should know this, i guess the keyword is SHOULD... Secondly I didn't say AA was planning on shutting its doors.. LOL.. But if your unions do strike I would be pleasantly surprised, however the likelihood of that happening is Extremely small, the company will file BK so they can ammend the contracts without a strike on the property... So, no i don't see a strike - at all...

Secondly I didn't say AA was planning on shutting its doors.. LOL.. But if your unions do strike I would be pleasantly surprised, however the likelihood of that happening is Extremely small, the company will file BK so they can ammend the contracts without a strike on the property... So, no i don't see a strike - at all...
Where did you get the information that AA will file bankruptcy? Is it the same place you got that amazing mathematic equation that says a 3% across the board increase in total wages, given to 3 work groups is 9% across the board?

With oil prices rising and recession talk growing louder, Delta CEO Richard Anderson last week raised the prospect of a new way to boost languishing airline stocks.

Beginning a quarterly earnings call, Anderson proclaimed that airline industry consolidation "makes sense" and that Delta intends to become the industry's "undisputed leader."

In response, J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker wrote that Anderson's actions would likely "rekindle investor confidence" in the mergers they have been awaiting. Last fall, a US Airways bid for Delta was widely considered the first move in a new round of mergers, but that effort unraveled in January.

story here

Where did you get the information that AA will file bankruptcy? Is it the same place you got that amazing mathematic equation that says a 3% across the board increase in total wages, given to 3 work groups is 9% across the board?

Well, the fact that AA will not be able to get DEEP concessions, like the last time without BK, I would say that AA would likely file before allowing the unions to strike, and they could get concessions from all workers and the judge would stop them from striking even if they wanted to... That is what you fail to understand, there are creative ways of doing things, and when the pilots march in there and say "well CAL pilots make xxx" AA execs will say - oh ok let us file BK 2wice and we'll get back to ya... "well what about SWA" - well SWA isn't the same business model as a legacy, so not really comparable. They will laugh them out the door if they try and compare FED EX and UPS... It will get interesting - and I don't think anyone will like the outcome.

Well, the fact that AA will not be able to get DEEP concessions, like the last time without BK, I would say that AA would likely file before allowing the unions to strike, and they could get concessions from all workers and the judge would stop them from striking even if they wanted to... That is what you fail to understand, there are creative ways of doing things, and when the pilots march in there and say "well CAL pilots make xxx" AA execs will say - oh ok let us file BK 2wice and we'll get back to ya... "well what about SWA" - well SWA isn't the same business model as a legacy, so not really comparable. They will laugh them out the door if they try and compare FED EX and UPS... It will get interesting - and I don't think anyone will like the outcome.
So where is it written that AA requires deep concessions? I haven't seen anything, AA hasn't stated so. Only you seem to be posting it, and you cannot back it up with any hard evidence.

Back