Conversion to Amadeus Reservations System

Oh well, we all knew it was too good to be true, didn't we? :( From this week's FAQs:

Q. We have been hearing lots of rumors about the STAR Alliance requiring all the member carriers to migrate to the same system. Is there is any truth to this? If so, what system is it and is there a timeframe for this?
A. Dennis Tierney, director, Alliances, tells AboutUS that Star Alliance has developed a “Common IT Platformâ€￾ (CITP), funded by participating carriers (US has not funded this development).........

......US is under no pressure to join the effort, and has no plans to do so at this time. There has been no effort to make CITP a requirement of member carriers, and we don’t see that changing, either.

But not to fear, IT will soon have the glitches in QIK/SHARES fixed, wont they? :rolleyes:

everyone keeps saying that QIK is the problem....what are the specific problems with QIK? how do you know that it is QIK that is the problem? I would really be interested in seeing some detailed "problems."

Consider the fact that CO also uses SHARES, but not QIK. They do not have the problems that LCC seems to have with the system. Though not proof positive, it is a strong implication that QIK is the problem.

Try checking a passenger who is making FOUR CONNECTIONS, you get a response UNABLE TO PROCESS, process MANUAL. Give me a break. QIK has so many problems they quit posting QIK FIXES. Pull up availability.....standing at a computer station and it is 400PM it gives you connections from 0600.....not very efficient. Try to pull a connection thru a specific city, BINGO unable to process ( again the LITTLE WINDOW says you are searching for a connection that is over 340 days) TRY AGAIN.

Actually prior to the merger USAirways was very active in the Star alliance -- I remember the launch into the SA -- champagne everywhere, lots of goodies & hand outs, etc. I still have my golf balls and tee's.

1/2 of the Alliances / Interline dept came from East, as did the VP of Alliances. (actually, I think he's the ONLY East VP to come to Tempe from CCY....)

SHARES/QIK still is antiquated and very time consuming in an environment that requires efficiency and speed. The fixes that management said would happen were inadequate or never done SHARES/QIK is still a very very very very poor reservation system

First off rumor is we will be changing to Amedeus. Don't think we will last long as a Star Alliance carrier though. We have not me the SA conditions on first class seats on certain aircraft. If we did convert would it be classified as Qik/Amedeus? :eek:

SA does not have a F/C requirement, BMI offers no F/C.

trans-atlantic business class service
traveling in style

Traveling in style is within your reach. bmi’s award winning service business class offers you the kind of service you might normally expect in first class at special business class fares.

Our brand new business class service offers passengers the opportunity to travel in the style that has established bmi's enviable reputation in the UK and Europe. Your service includes:

brand new leather upholstery lie-flat beds with a generous 78 - 80 inches seat length and 26 inches seat width
electronic lumbar support, leg rests and foot rests adjustable with the seat control panel
a full and varied selection of international, modern cuisine comparable to the very best restaurant food, prepared by a fully qualified on-board chef
a welcome glass of champagne
laptop power, telephones and data ports at each seat
movies and television channels played through 15 inches individual seat-back screens
audio channels to spin through and the ability to play with a choice of Nintendo and classic PC games
noise canceling headphones produce a quiet zone for easy listening or restful sleep
priority boarding
bmi business lounges let you simply relax before your flight or carry on working in our network of exclusive business lounges*.
a complimentary arrivals package in Manchester at Radisson SAS Hotel with complimentary showers, use of fitness club and continental breakfast
Service is available on the following trans-atlantic flights:

Chicago/Las Vegas - Manchester

Barbados/Antigua - Manchester

First off rumor is we will be changing to Amedeus. Don't think we will last long as a Star Alliance carrier though. We have not me the SA conditions on first class seats on certain aircraft. If we did convert would it be classified as Qik/Amedeus? :eek:

And I've flown First class on UA in the past three weeks. UA used to have a big advantage, but right now the only difference is linens and real glassware. If not having these meant US would be forced out of Star, I think Tempe would find the $s. Food-wise, I was actually quite surprised at the decline in UA's food service (I was on a transcon SEA-IAD).

Rumor No1 is that the switch will be to Worldspan due to a pending merger with NWA.

Labor issues aside, I still think a US-NW merger would create an airline with a formidable network. Especially with PIT no longer being a hub, there's effectively no overlap.

There is a RUMOR, repeat RUMOR that Tempe has admitted internally they can not make SHARES work. At least not in a cost effective manner.
Doug stated. The operation continues to show improvement, but still a lot of work is needed.
The focus is "Get back to basics". After merging the two airlines, the focus is on running a great airline. Doug said there are NO MERGER talks going on right now, despite the many rumors out in the system. Costs per ASM is going up faster then any other carrier right now. We had a high amount of FIMS, hotel and meal vouchers this quarter that caused our costs to rise.

Point taken (substandard first class product)

No, you are not taking the point at all. US Airways DOES NOT have a First Class product on transatlantic flights. It has Economy Class, and Envoy Class, which is a BUSINESS CLASS product. When the A330 was launched, there were three classes- First, Envoy, and Economy. The First Class product was discontinued a few years ago. The former First Class cabin with six sleeper seats is still there, but those seats are sold as Envoy sleeper seats and recieve the same service as the Envoy cabin. The 767 (and obviously the 757) only ever had two classes.

Maybe some folks (westies?) don't understand cabin classes. On international flights, business class is between first and economy, but far better than domestic first class. Of the US carriers, only AA and UA offer three cabin classes on international flights. All of the others business class is their highest offering on international. Most carriers name their business class- ours is Envoy, CO BusinessFirst, DL Business Elite, Northwest World Business, etc.

The point above is that like US, BMI does not offer a first class product.

Latest posts

Back