Cordle of Airline Forecasts Says Delta Bid "Good Deal"

700UW,

With all due respect, I am not trying to scare anybody. It does not take rocket science for the laymen to understand that "everybody is talking to everybody", there are daily modeling discussions, and even the news media has discussed industry asset transfers.

This is not abnormal for a bankrupt company and is something we at US Airways had happen to us. For example, Bruce Lakefield told me during Bankruptcy II that the company had offers to sell the Shuttle, PHL International Operation, and MDA aircraft/DCA slots.
In the end the EMB-170/DCA slots were sold to preserve the core operation.

Again, I know for fact that there have been discussions about Delta being "carved up" by heavy hittrers and I believe the Delta ALPA MEC/other employee actions could facilitate a fragmentation of the Atlanta-based company.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Does it make you feel like a big man to insult people on the message board behind the safety of your PC, which I believe is cowardly? Personally, I believe insults are the act of a "little man" who lacks courage.

You are the king of misinformation, you insult anyone and everyone.

You try to use fear, scare tactics and intimidation to try and make them think your way.

Your own union disavowed you, you cant even get elected, the board knows all about you and no one believes you anyhow.

Try looking up the definition of hypocrite.

USA320pilot.....

Yup! The economics of merging in BK is exactly why D.P and team are attempting this. Agreed.
I firmly believe that he is the best airline CEO in the biz now and truly understands airline economics...though that term has historicaly been an oxymoron. It is unfortunatly a new world out there and the Deltas' and some others in the former "legacy" sphere still don't understand it.

I understand that many on this board wax nostalgic for the grand old days of aviation and their fav carriers, we all do, but it is not reality! At some point grudges must be let go.

My growing belief is that combining with DAL might just be a psychologicaly impossible task for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Maybe a merger with UAL might work o.k., even though they are not in BK, they seem to be doing something right as they are making some small profits and stock is performing well too.
I don't know. If I were Doug Parker, I would be on the horn with Tilton YESTERDAY!

Oh and BTW...(700UW) I don't believe USA320pilot was "scaring" the DAL employees in any way. I would say he was simply stating facts and whether they are correct or not has nothing to do with scare tactics! The last I checked, it is DAL management who has been the scaring the s*** out of the workers over there and fueling mean spirited attacks against US in the media...like some kind of FOXNews show! :rant:

Anyway, we will see how it plays out and hope that these chieftains make the right decisions and it works out o.k. for all US and DAL emplyees in the end.
Noone wishes for fellow airline people to be unemployed.....we have seen enough of that already in the last 6 years!

I firmly believe that he is the best airline CEO in the biz now and truly understands airline economics...though that term has historicaly been an oxymoron. It is unfortunatly a new world out there and the Deltas' and some others in the former "legacy" sphere still don't understand it.
Together with USA320's talk of DL not cutting enough costs during BK, this makes for an interesting thought process.

You both do realize that it appears that a stand-alone DL will have some of the lowest costs of the legacy carriers, with an ex-fuel CASM only about 5% higher than WN? Parker, with his wonderful understanding of airline economics, is running an airline that is among the highest cost legacy carriers, with an ex-fuel CASM about 25% higher than WN.

Jim

Fact?

Please show us evidence of the fact that DL will be fragmented.

Guess you dont know the definition of the word fact.

When would now be a good time for you to learn respect?
From the July 26, 2002 Charlotte Observer:

"What's disturbing are reports that the CWA leadership is misleading its members. Last Friday, company negotiators asked the union to meet, to try and resolve their differences. The union said its negotiators couldn't meet, but its advisers would be available. However, I'm told that when management tried to schedule a meeting, they were told the advisers had other commitments. Meanwhile, the CWA issued a report telling its members the company met with the advisers last weekend - which management disputes.Brinkmanship by any union could push the airline into bankruptcy. It's disappointing to see a relatively small group of employees risk the destruction of a viable company, with a devastating effect on 40,000 employees and their families."
USA320PilotUS Airways captain

700UW,

With all due respect, I am not trying to scare anybody...

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Does it make you feel like a big man to insult people on the message board behind the safety of your PC, which I believe is cowardly? Personally, I believe insults are the act of a "little man" who lacks courage.
Spoken like the "little man" who lacks courage that you are...there is NO due respect from you.

Do you remember your attempts to assist Pollock and Glanzer in scaring the US Air pilots?

Do you remember the continual stream of insults you throw out at the truly strong people like Teddy (and anyone else who would stand up to management) when little men such as you are much too frightened to do so?

Why would you, in a one sentence postscript, have the nerve to condemn someone who you feel insulted you, but in the second half of that same sentence, you are the one to throw insults out?

Do you remember how you ran and hid when BoeingBoy just wanted to know why you wrote the fearful letter to your private webboard begging ALPA to give away MORE than the company's ask?

Do you remember fleeing the room when a member of your so-called RC4 approached you to challenge some of your BS? I was there, I saw you run.

And you have the nerve to call someone else cowardly?

Do you understand why management loves you? Why Siegel was always seeking you out (we know about that lunch date), why Ashby put you on his propaganda e-mail list, and who knows what relationship you might have with Parker? Hint: you're not bright enough to see you're being used...you love getting attention from people much smarter than you. There is an entire chapter in Psychology 101 about people like you.

Lastly, will you ever understand why you get so little respect, not only on this board, but in the crewrooms in LGA, DCA, and PHL? Do you remember what happened there last month? Should I share that event with everyone here?

Some advice: you might consider putting down that book of quotes you have (it really doesn't make you look smart - one only need examine your grammar to determine your level of education) and try doing some research on Vladimir Lenin and Karl Marx. They had a name for people like you. And it wasn't complimentary.

Love – N – Kisses

Someone you know well.

Together with USA320's talk of DL not cutting enough costs during BK, this makes for an interesting thought process.

You both do realize that it appears that a stand-alone DL will have some of the lowest costs of the legacy carriers, with an ex-fuel CASM only about 5% higher than WN? Parker, with his wonderful understanding of airline economics, is running an airline that is among the highest cost legacy carriers, with an ex-fuel CASM about 25% higher than WN.

Jim
Dear Jim,

Interesting points, but let me share some others...

I believe that the reason for this whole charade is to set in motion the eventual consolidation of the industry.

With just one quick look around US Airway's operation, even USA320 could see that there is NO desire to actually run an airline. I’m sure you saw it before you left in CLT and PHL, too.

My opinion is that Parker is merely acting as the front man for some heavy-hitting speculators (Think TPG).

The only way Parker and his crew can get the ROI they desire is to SELL IT.

No one was biting as he shopped it around, so he had only one choice, get the game of musical chairs moving.

He has succeeded quite well. Even SW has weighed in on their thoughts on consolidation. No one wants to be left standing when the music stops.

We peons (yes, you too, USA320) sometimes miss the BIG picture. The only way to make money in the passenger airlines today is through speculation. The entire industry remains only one "9/11" away from financial collapse.

Back up, take the long look. That's what the big money people do.

How is your retirement treating you? We all hope well. Thanks for staying around this board!

Regards,

USA320’s worst nightmare

Forgive me if it sounded like I was disagreeing with what you say, since I don't necessarily disagree.

I was merely responding to the "DL hasn't gotten their costs down" theory.

My personal "gut feeling" is that this merger makes sense only because it would allow near/actual monopoly pricing in many small/medium markets on the east coast, something a merger with NW, CO, etc wouldn't do. I think Parker is finding himself caught between the proverbial rock (a still relatively high cost airline) and a hard place (declining yields from expansion of true LCC's). That leaves one place to keep yield up, other than industry fare increases that US has never been the first to institute - smaller markets that won't see true LCC competition any time soon.

But my opinion and $5 will buy you a latte.....

Jim

ps - retirement is great. Wish I'd tried it sooner.

Ardenian,

Do tell us what happened.

And look at what ALPA thinks of our resident master of misinformation.

This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways an MEC update for Friday, July 26, with two new items:
Item 1. Today the Charlotte Observer published an anti-union editorial from one of our pilots, titled "Unions can Sink US Airways," that aggressively promotes management’s objectives on achieving concessions from other labor groups. The editorial goes so far as to suggest that the CWA union leadership, who represent customer service employees, is misleading their members on their negotiating activity, and implies that management’s side of a dispute is more accurate.

This editorial does not in any way represent ALPA’s position, understanding, or sentiment, on other unions and their sincere efforts to represent their members. ALPA has received no reports, nor would it assign any value to reports, that suggest that any union is misleading their membership. The pilot author of the editorial holds no union position in ALPA. The anti-union public statements from one of our pilot-ALPA members is regrettable.

We urge all pilots to contact their reps or the Comm Center for accurate updates on restructuring negotiations and the activity of other unions. We also request that all pilots refrain from promoting any management anti-union propaganda or chastise other employees in the media. There is little to be gained from such activity other than embarrassment for yourself, your fellow pilots, US Airways, and ALPA.

USA320pilot.....

Ya' know what? I say we (US employees) bag this whole DAL merger idea! My blood is really starting to boil.
After reading all the negative energy and US bashing going on on this board for two months now I have re-reached the conclusion that I had about DAL before the merger was announced. This conclusion was formed from, among other things "attempting" to organize DAL F/A's. JFK DAL folks are mostly exempt form this BTW.

It is that I think US mgmt. should look at some other carrier to merge with if that is what they are determined to do. The company is just way too incompatible with nearly any other airline I can think of.
Like a cult.

We could then sit back and laugh as NWA and DAL employees fight with each other and all the anti-union ATL folks get a nice, big union shoved down their throats and have to deal with NWA's horrible "Yankees" from MSP / DTW!!! Talk about a civil war! Northern vs. Southern. All the employees who fought US and then approve of a merge with NWA will be very sorry!!

FF's?? So NWA would be better than US?? Oh yea, NWA has stellar customer service! Come on...give me a break! :huh:

I suggest that US mgmt. look at doing a deal with UAL or perhaps merge with AirTran and then go right into the heart of DAL's bread and butter if they want ATL> Whatever.

We have had plenty of crews insulted and treated quite rudely in the past few months by DAL crews.
That is not a nice thing to do to fellow airline employees and it is growing quite tiresome. :angry:

I couldn't agree more!! You just said what I have felt for as long time. Thanks!!

Latest posts