Cost Savings..

700UW said:
Seems we lost 100 jobs from CLT line, but we the management headcount was increased.
That, and given raises, and then yesterday one of the big wigs asks the IAM to enter talks for more cuts. GO POUND SALT and ram jet that order :down:

700UW said:
MrAeroMan said:
I know for a fact in CLT there are half as many managers as there use to be prior to the cutbacks. Some of them are working 12 hour days to make it work for the operation.
As for keeping heads on the payroll wouldn't it be far wiser to keep thousands working that to hang on to a few hundred and ensure thousands are unemployed?
I do not know where you work but in CLT line mtc there are more managers and foreman and 40 less utility and about 60 less mechanics.

On day shift you have a line maintenance first shift manager, a maintenance manager, the Regional Director, 4 foreman for approximatley 25 mechanics, plus 6 lead mechanics.
One utility foreman for about 40 or so Utility.

Second shift you have one maintenance manager, 4 foreman for about 25 mechanics plus 6 lead mechanics.
One utility foreman for about 50 or so Utility plus a rotator utility foreman ( a new position just added)... Hmm no extra utility jobs added but yet a new foreman position was created?

Third shift you have one manager and 4 or 5 foreman for about 67 mechanics, one utility foreman for 25 utility.

Seems we lost 100 jobs from CLT line, but we the management headcount was increased.

So MrAeroman, apparently you are not a line mechanic because you would know these facts.
Perhaps I should've been more clear in my post that I was talking about the managers in Customer Service. I don't know the numbers in maint. and have to trust your numbers and no, I'm not a line mechanic.

At Wednesday's Meeting in PHL, at the end VP of Labor Relations, Doug McKeen approached Jim Varsel, Airline Coordinator of the IAM for mechanic and related and fleet service to enter talks for concessions.

He was told no, our contracts will not be opened till they are amendable and we will not entertain concessions. But the IAM will talk about cost savings that the members have come up with on how to do business smarter, but no way will the IAM entertain or be part of concessionary bargaining.

At Wednesday's Meeting in PHL, at the end VP of Labor Relations, Doug McKeen approached Jim Varsel, Airline Coordinator of the IAM for mechanic and related and fleet service to enter talks for concessions

MMW and a few others were right, the company wasnt there to hear how the IAM could save them money without concessions the company was there to stroke the IAM and make them feel like management was sincere about what the IAM had to say.
Im sure that while the IAM was going thru the process of attempting to show the company how it could save money buy doing things differently, during the entire meeting all management was thinking about was CONCESSIONS!

Management is not looking for ways to do things better, smarter, faster, or cost effective....they only seek for you to come to work CHEAPER!

I'm with Cav....go pound salt with jet speed! :lol: :lol:

Management always takes care of its own.. One of our mechanics said it best. Rather than find people that are capable managers we continue the process of "ROTATION OF BALD TIRES"..

Yes that is exactly what we do.. Just happened in PIT.. They rotated 3 managers. Why? None of them had a clue what they were doing in their previous job so they stuck them into a new job thinking maybe they would get better.

Then the VP decides he needs a right hand man, promotes his local director. The local director is now a managing director and he decides to increase his empire by creating management jobs that did not exist and to move his best friend buddy and pay into his former position.. Was that person qualified? No by a long shot. So what did managment do.. What they always do, they changed the requirement for the directors job.. Basically they made the qualification "DO YOU BREATHE, CAN YOU SAY YES, DO YOU OWN A CAR, CAN YOU SPELL AIRPLANE".. Thats it. This is a guy that sends out Memo's to senior excutives using the line "TO MANY MECHANICS ARE SPENDING TO MUCH TIME IN THE BRAKE ROOM" and he hit spell check on his computer and came up a winner..

Yes that is what goes on at US Aiways.. The Rotation of BALD Tires.

Speaking of pushbacks. I recently went up to the Line in PIT and was suprised by what I saw.. Not only were mechanics not doing pushbacks neither were the Utility People.. So what does the contract language mean? Nothing.. Can't speak for other stations but I am told here in PIT there are no IAM 141M people doing pushbacks.. It is all Fleet Service.. Just like the Piedmont days.

I have no comment on this particular issue. To be efficient the pushback or the receipt should be done by anyone who is in the area, Mechanic, Utility, Fleet Service, Pilot, Flight Attendant, whatever. If your qualified then you should do it. Thats what the LCC's do.. Maybe we should to.

As far as R & D goes, I have not seen mechanics doing ANY pushbacks as of late and if you look on pg 14 of the contract it is written that mechaics will "operate the vehicle during pushback" but it also states if mechanics "are not avaliable" and that is the key statement, ANY IAM represented employee may perform the dispatch fuction. Mechanics are so short stafffed on the gate that there is no time for pushbacks.

PITbull said:
Management is not looking for ways to do things better, smarter, faster, or cost effective....they only seek for you to come to work CHEAPER!

I'm with Cav....go pound salt with jet speed! :lol: :lol:
Careful, IIRC and from what I've heard, that landed you in the cornfield last time..

Latest posts