Could There Be Another Merger/buyout?

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
<_< With American West, and U.S.Airways talking merger, would say a A.A./ Alaskan Air merger/ buyout, make any sense???

MCI transplant said:
<_< With American West, and U.S.Airways talking merger, would say a A.A./ Alaskan Air merger/ buyout, make any sense???
[post="266360"][/post]​
Well Alaskan would be round 3 of buying west coast routes, Air Cal, Reno. If they do, AA would destroy it anyway and nothing will be left within 3 years. Now how would they work that seniority thing???? <_< <_< ;) ;)

MCI transplant said:
[post="266360"][/post]​

That might be a possibility as part of the broader move toward consolidation in the industry.

Of course, the AWA/U possible merger is really a substitute for what should have been the AWA/TWA merger that probably would have happened had it not been for AA's "asset acquisition" of TWA. Without the very shady and still highly questionable deal that took place between AA and TWA (more specifically, Carty and Compton and the assorted goons that helped finalize the deal), TWA would have struggled, been going through their normal financial crisis BUT ---- was not on the verge of bankruptcy. They clearly would have made it to 9/11 ------ would have had their codeshare in place with AWA and ----- if they had received government loans like U, could have probably plugged along (just as U has done) and then received the benefit of the ending of Karabu in September 2003. My feeling is that a merger with AWA would have taken place shortly after that.

Both TWA and AWA were already beginning to operate more like low-cost carriers before 9/11 (and before the sham bankruptcy that Compton so easily allowed to be perpetrated on TWA to end 75 years of a legacy carrier). I actually think it would have been a merger that worked reasonably well (and clearly, one that would have been far better for TWA and AA employees respectively).

But ---- while Compton, Carty, Gitner, Mark Abels et al are enjoying the cash-outs they reaped at the expense of TWA and AA employees and TWA shareholders, it clearly is speculation as to what could have been. What is not speculation, though, is that the deal was done in a far from straightforward manner and more than four years after the fact, I believe we are still far from getting the full story on this.

Jeff I.

Red Tail Bear said:
Jeff,
I wondered when you'd "surface" again. Welcome back !!

NH/BB's
[post="266388"][/post]​

Thanks NH/BB. Yeah ----- I had to register under a different alias (JDI) but ---- same me from Yahoo, Planebusiness, etc. ----- a little older and grayer, though.

Hope all is well on your front. I haven't really been reading this board for a while so I'll have to get caught up. But ----- I have been sampling the product ------ flying lots and lots on AA and, on that end, have had mostly very good flying experiences.

Jeff I.

IF AA were to move in on AS, there would be a few planes removed. Hubs in SEA, PDX, and SJC along with a LAX presence would be a lot for the West Coast. I could see PDX going away to a very small city and parking a bunch of planes. Just my thoughts............

If AA did buy AS (unlikely, but possible) , they would probably not keep the intra-Alaskan network.

All this merger talk and no one mentions that anything of this nature will require further paycuts and other concessions to finance.

JDI said:
Thanks NH/BB. Yeah ----- I had to register under a different alias (JDI) but ---- same me from Yahoo, Planebusiness, etc. ----- a little older and grayer, though.

Hope all is well on your front. I haven't really been reading this board for a while so I'll have to get caught up. But ----- I have been sampling the product ------ flying lots and lots on AA and, on that end, have had mostly very good flying experiences.

Jeff I.
[post="266416"][/post]​

===================================================

JDI,
Thanx for the repeat business !!!!!!!!

As far as "me", I had a "gut wrenching" experience.

I "RETIRED". :rolleyes: :up: :rolleyes: :up: :up: :D

NH/BB's

Hopeful said:
All this merger talk and no one mentions that anything of this nature will require further paycuts and other concessions to finance.
[post="266439"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hopeful,
Yeah, your right, that is always a possibility.

Consider this. With the Moronic Adminisration in the WH, for 3 1/2 more years, they have NO desire to kick any carrier out of BK-7/11/13. (Even though the "AH's" changed the BK laws on the little guy). The last thing they want to do is alienate any "RED" state with a very large work force. US/PA. just barely went "blue", and (not if,) When DL goes BK(Georgia, VERY RED), they're only too happy to let these carriers "languish", while they take others, that have a good shot of turning a profit soon, (except for the "OVER CAPACITY"), down with them.

(What's taking me a looooong time this morning to get to) My point is that these CLOWNS in DC, will be ONLY too happy to let mergers sail through, with out a "peep" from the FEDS. If any entity raises an objection, REJECTED !!

So consolidation, is DEFINITELY the "word of the day". I say, lets get it on, and over with. Lets reshape this "puppy", and move forward.

NH/BB's

Hmmm, so the truth comes out. NH/BB is the same as Red Tail Bear. Do you respond to each other's posts too?

Fly said:
Hmmm, so the truth comes out. NH/BB is the same as Red Tail Bear. Do you respond to each other's posts too?
[post="266454"][/post]​
Close, but no cigar this time Fly. Sooner or later you'll figure it out.

NHBB, it's pretty clear to me that the Constitution pretty much prohibits the Legislative and Administrative branches from meddling with the Judiciary.

So, who is in the White House has nothing to do with how long UAL remains in bankruptcy. Only Judge Wedoff can control that.

Even if Congress reformed the corporate bankruptcy code to force a time limit, it couldn't be applied retroactively.

It's also obvious that RTB and NHBB are not the same person. RTB obviously knows how to use his caps lock key... ;)

Back to consolidation....

AS has done a great job of remaining independent. I'd expect Hawaiian or Aloha to get snapped up before AS does.

If AS were snapped up, there'd be no way a merger would be approved without some assurances that the intra-Alaska filing remains. They're the only player in a lot of markets, whereas ten+ years ago you still had Markair, Reeve, and even Morris serving cities other than ANC.

I would hate to see another smaller, successfull carrier marred by the perils that come with a legacy. It is like corrupting an innocent child that hasn't faced the woes of the "adult" carrier. Why not let DL take over FL and U take over JB?

:unsure:

Back