Court Declines To Review Pilot Retirements

I guess those who want to fly past 60 will have to hope Congress does something.....

Jim

you or i mention age,sex,race,sexual preference or whatever....we're toast in the workplace......
the biggest discriminator of all catagories involved is good old uncle sam...hands down... :down:

From the news article: "Officials have argued that pilots lose critical cognitive and motor skills as they age."

Perhaps we need a ban on elected officials who are over 60. :lol: Or at a certain level of income that seperates them from the people they are supposed to represent. Take away their pensions and health care and let's see if that's now the best way to keep Corporate America on its feet.

I just don't understand this age 60 issue at all. Seem to me if a pilot continues to pass the medical, why should they have to retire?

Dea

At the very least, if the law stands, the pilots should be able to draw a full social security benefit due to the fact he is FORCED to retire 5 years before he is able to draw a full benefit. Fair is fair.

mr

Mwereplanes:

I agree with you on social security, but what about the PBGC award? It's unfair to force a pilot to retire early, unlike other workers, and not permit them to obtain full social security and the appropriate age increased PBGC amount.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

ALPA acts as if it's the gate-keeper to changing the age-60 rule. In fact, the FAA could change the rule, but won't just to cover it's ---. The best hope comes with petitioning the President to direct the Secretary of Transportation to tell the FAA Administrator to have her secretary change the rule. Then, it's all that poor temp's fault when some geezer goes sliding off the runway!

Forced to retire at age 60, can't collect SS until 65, and now a drastically reduced pension. Just doesn't seem fair or right to me.

Wasn't the age 60 rule put into effect in the late '50's? Due to better health and medical advances, I think it's high time that rule be reconsidered. Today's age 60 is not the same as if was back then.

Dea

I agree if the Feds say you MUST retire at age 60 then you should get FULL SS and PBGC benefits at 60 not 65 or 67 (as case maybe).

Furthermore i think if you want to stay past 60, you should be able to as well, except for bidding purposes you go to bottom of the list (as well as any future furloughs due to mergers or reduction in fleet).

you want to work past 60 to recover pensions lost, i repect and understand that. you got to be senior because those before you left when it was their time, now its your time. I will concede that times are very much different (no pension massive pay cuts) you can stay with your pay you just cant bid number one thats all. so we meet your needs of continued employment as well as those needs of others who's turn it is to move up. (by the way thanks for B-Scale)

:unsure:

USA320Pilot said:
Mwereplanes:

I agree with you on social security, but what about the PBGC award? It's unfair to force a pilot to retire early, unlike other workers, and not permit them to obtain full social security and the appropriate age increased PBGC amount.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266117"][/post]​
you could find gainful employment at some of our auto dealers washing cars until 65...its worth a thought. B)

USA320Pilot said:
Mwereplanes:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266117"][/post]​
Ain't life a B=I=T=C=H. Welcome to the party, PAL...now you can feel the thunder of everyday common folk as you descend to your final destination.

Unfair is how most people live their life. Unfair is how U is run. Unfair is a new term for you and was never mentioned "by you" when the S-H-I-T falling was on everyone else the only term that was constantly mentioned by you was, "reality"...so Welcome to Reality, PAL.

USA320Pilot said:
Mwereplanes:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266117"][/post]​

On the other hand, you knew you had to retire at 60 when you became an airline pilot. And you also should have known the upside and downside of the rule. Yet, you still chose to go into this career field. I say deal with it.

The issue is not an apple to apple or an orange to orange comparison. Pilots are required by law to retire at age 60, but that's not true for other airline employees. The maximum social security benefit, the maximum PBGC benefit, and retirement age should be paid to an employee when they are required to retire.

If a pilot is forced to retire at age 60 by the government than he or she should get the maximum benefit.

The same holds true for any other employee. If a F/A, mechanic, accountant, or CSA is forced to retire before their government benefit than they should obtain their full social security and PBGC benefit too.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Back