Court Declines To Review Pilot Retirements

USA320Pilot said:
The issue is not an apple to apple or an orange to orange comparison. Pilots are required by law to retire at age 60, but that's not true for other airline employees.
[post="266596"][/post]​

And that's been true since the 50's - long before any currently working US pilot was hired.

Jim

BoeingBoy:

True, just like having a DB Plan was in place long before too. The retirement plan was changed and the government plans should be aligned.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You can always go bag groceries at the Piggly Wiggly for five years until Social Security kicks in.

I have a relative who was "forced" to retire as part of a downsizing effort at his firm when he was 45.

Unlike pilots who know the Age 60 rule and can plan accordingly (and who receive hefy salaries and generous retirement plans, at least until the last two or three years), this came as a surprise.

Should he have been able to collect full Social Security benefits starting at age 45 then? If so he'll feel pretty stupid because he went out and started working in another field to make ends meet.

USA320Pilot said:
BoeingBoy:

True, just like having a DB Plan was in place long before too. The retirement plan was changed and the government plans should be aligned.
[post="266607"][/post]​

Well, no. Your previous MEC gave it away. Call those members and urge them to lobby congress.

USA320Pilot said:
The retirement plan was changed and the government plans should be aligned.
[post="266607"][/post]​

Now there's an apples to oranges comparison. When was the retirement age and full SS age ever aligned for airline pilots (post age 60 rule) regardless of the type of pension?

Lots of airline pilots have lost their pension thru no fault of their own - airlines ceasing to exist is a perfect example. Where was the outcry to "align" SS benefits for them?

Lots of airline pilots have had to retire with less than full benefits because of their age when hired. Where was the outcry to "align" SS benefits for them?

Jim

That is not true, people born in 1960 or later have to wait till they are 67 years of age to collect full social security.

BoeingBoy:

There is difference from a failed company and a on-going concern. Just like for those who leave US Airways and can immediately draw their PBGC amount if they're over age 50, whereas those who remain in the employment of the company cannot.

In my opinion, the government should align pilot retirement age with Social Security and PBGC amounts and be consistent, whether it's age 60, 65, 67 or higher. Nonetheless, I'm glad this is not a major concern for me, but I would like to see pilots get some relief for their sacrifice.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Pilots don't "have" to retire at 60. The FAA reg just says they can't fly an airliner . . but they can fly some other forms of commercial aircraft. They can go do another job.

I believe the airline pension plans had special dispensation to add more money into pilots retirement plans due to the age 60 retirement. However, now that ALPA has been completely defeated by the likes of US Air and United managements, it looks like everybody's pension is in danger.

There currently is a bill pending in Congress awaiting markup proposed by two democratic senators that could raise the airline pilot PBGC retirement benefit to $46,000 per year.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
There currently is a bill pending in Congress awaiting markup proposed by two democratic senators that could raise the airline pilot PBGC retirement benefit to $46,000 per year.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="266988"][/post]​

I just wrote and emailed my representatives to oppose that one!! :up: :shock:

Dr. Evil:

Your email will likely have little effect because ALPA PAC, ALPA lobbysts, airline's, and the AFL-CIO support the effort.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

There are other occupations out there that have to retire early. I know the MA State Police have to retire early. Or I know they did have too at one time. I believe it was at the age of 55. I would say all or most went and found other jobs for several years after. So, the pilot groups are not the only ones, with forced retirement.

USA320Pilot said:
Dr. Evil:

Your email will likely have little effect because ALPA PAC, ALPA lobbysts, airline's, and the AFL-CIO support the effort.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="267011"][/post]​
Being almost 50 with a 7 year old son makes it clear as to why you want it changed.

*MODERATOR: these ages of 320 and his son have been posted by him on this forum. It's information he himself has provided.

Air traffic controllers retire at 55 too.

Any change to the rule is economic. There is no other justification. It works.

Back