Credit Defaults on AMR soar to nearly 3X levels af industry

If the question is whether AA could afford the pensions, then the answer is “no” they should not be at risk.
But companies and now governments have made it clear that they no longer want to assume the entire risk of paying someone’s retirement benefits decades in advance in a world where turbulence is the norm rather than the exception. Defined benefit (DB) plans have given way to defined contribution (DC) plans because companies want to be able to say they have given you what they said at the end of a year and know they have met their obligation. It then becomes your responsibility as an employee to invest that money – which is no longer controlled by the company – the way you see fit.
On the basis of the shift from DB to DC plans, it is not near as certain that AA will continue to keep its pension plans if it has a choice. A gradual phase out/grandfathering of existing employees in the current pension plans is possible but if they are given the choice of a freeze – which was received favorable well by legislators – I would bet AA would take it. Remember that AA and CO both repeatedly asked and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison which represents both CO and AA argued aggressively that AA and CO should get the same treatment that DL and NW got – but the answer was repeatedly that what DL and NW were allowed was because they were in BK and at the risk of default; the intention of allowing pension freezes was to prevent more plans being dumped on the PBGC who was very afraid that what happened w/ the steel industry was about ready to be repeated w/ the airlines.
Remember also that DL’s funding requirements are different than AMR’s because DL’s plans are frozen. DL continues to pay on its pension plans on the time payment plan even though no additional employee benefits are being accumulated. DL retains control of the pension plans, employees still get the benefits promised under the plan just based on the frozen years of service. The PBGC avoided getting involved with the plans. The creditors did not have to share equity in the reorganized DL and NW (which emerged independently) with the PBGC which became a creditor in the UA and US bankruptcies because of the pension terminations. I’m not sure if the PBGC participated in DL’s C11 since DL did terminate the pilot pension plan because of the lump sum distribution features it contained, but which the NW pilot plan did not.
Although everyone wants to know they have a guaranteed income coming for life, that is not realistic for most employers any more… and that will likely be one of the realities AA employees are going to have to accept in AA’s restructuring. It is also very possible that some people will do better managing their own money themselves than they could if the company managed it because some people, like myself, manage both more aggressively and with a willingness to diversify into more international/emerging as well as small cap or higher risk market investments which have done better than the larger domestic companies.
It is mathematically correct, though, that AA’s problem is not its pensions. As has been discussed here before, it is also not AA salaries but rather productivity and the lack of growth at the company which serves to keep labor costs down since they will naturally rise as employees move up the salary scales and become heavier users of benefits such as health care.
The real question then is what will AMR accomplish by going into BK if it does – and I would continue to note that it isn’t a given that they will if things turn around quickly which would have to include fairly dramatic reductions in TOTAL employee costs – which should be primarily obtained through productivity increases, some on the front end and some through promised growth – but with a notable decrease in total employee costs, benefits, headcount, and undoubtedly some paycuts just to give the company the breathing room necessary to get going again (and yes, I know AA employees did this in 2003 to no avail).
Which brings us to the value of bankruptcy. The whole reason why AA’s employees gave so much w/ so little return in 2003 was because the company obtained only partial benefits from its out of court restructuring and they weren’t enough to lift the company to be able to take advantage of a pretty weakened industry in 2005 that still saw UA and US getting on their feet and DL and NW heading through BK. Chapter 11 BK was designed to give companies the opportunity to RESTRUCTURE with every financial stakeholder contributing – from the caterers to the debt holders to the employees. AA’s employees bore almost the entire brunt of the 2003 restructuring even though the company did not gain all of the needed benefits. In contrast, DL employees contributed about 1/3 of the total value of DL’s restructuring, partly helped by DL’s $4B in unsecured debt, DL’s fairly new M80s which were technologically obsolete when DL went into BK, and DL’s ability to redeploy a lot of int’l capable a/c that were flying domestic routes – all of which helped to reduce the “contribution” employees had to make. Also, DL focused more on increasing productivity through growth (related to the 767/777 redeployments) than salary cutting. But the notion that BK is bad is rooted in a moral argument that isn’t used by corporate America who understands there is risk in business and AA’s debt among other things is priced based on that risk.
So what should AA accomplish in BK?
1. Reject leases on as many M80s and 757s and 767s as possible, reprice the leases of aircraft that are kept based on the market, and shorten the time it will take to keep the older aircraft in the fleet.
2. Deal with AE… partly an old/wrong type of airplane problem.
3. Restructure debt.
4. Increase productivity of the workforce, bring health care and pension costs in line with the industry and similarly sized companies.
5. Restructure the network including (potential) partners as necessary to maximize revenue – although AA has done a pretty good job of adapting revenue to the changing environment; but they will have opportunity to reenter some old markets or potential new ones based on having lower costs.
6. And probably a whole lot more…

It is almost a given that AA will shrink in a restructuring; you can’t reject aircraft and find replacements overnight.
This could be a good time for AA to restructure given that UA/CO’s costs are going up as they integrate their two airlines and deal w/ demands from labor for improved pay and benefits. The whole economic environment will have an effect but UA’s costs are bound to go up as Arpey has predicted. If the cost situation is reversed with AA becoming the carrier w/ lower costs, AA is in a far better position to defend its markets and expand in UA dominated markets.
Let’s continue to hope that AA can restructure outside of BK where it is a lot less painful but it can only work if everyone participates.
But if you’ve gotta go in, do what has to be done, do it quickly, and then come out ready to aggressively compete – which is what AA has long been known as doing well.

Tell me again why we bought TWA?

I really don't see where TWA has anything significant to do with the current state of affairs at AA, Chris.

The bed AA is lying in right now has been made by management and the unions already on the property in 2001. Regardless of who is more responsible for getting into the mess, it will take both sides to get out of it.

Tell me again why we bought TWA?
At face value, AA bought TW to buy increased midwest capacity to allow AA to grow given the growth limitations at ORD. AA mgmt said as much as the justification.
Not said but which could also have been a reason was to get TW's destructive pricing out of the Caribbean and the midwest....anyone who remembers TW's last several years know that they were aggressively discounting fares.
While TW probably isn't the primary driver of AA's problems, it was a huge distraction, esp. in the area of labor relations where AA's attempts to jettison the unwanted TW capacity met w/ opposition from legislators who were determined to ensure that what happened to TW employees would not happen to any other employee group in an acquisition - which is why labor integration laws have changed.
When you combine the labor rancor that already existed at AA because of the botched 2003 out of court restructuring with the TW labor discord, there is no doubt that the cumulative effect has pushed AA's labor relations to the breaking point.
If AA goes into bankruptcy court and forcibly alters labor contracts, the outcome is charting new lows in historical airline labor relations.
AA's lack of ability toe find value in TW regardless of the economy - because the airline industry has always been and always will be cylical - injected alot of unnecessary turmoil into labor relations.
Even with the potential for fuel price hikes slowing, jet fuel prices are set at very high levels for the next several months at least which makes it very possible that the labor offers which AA once made are now impossible to offer again because the company has been further weakened by the latest runup in fuel prices. And it is a given that we will see further runups in fuel prices which the company has to expect and be able to withstand.

At face value, AA bought TW to buy increased midwest capacity to allow AA to grow given the growth limitations at ORD. AA mgmt said as much as the justification.
Not said but which could also have been a reason was to get TW's destructive pricing out of the Caribbean and the midwest....anyone who remembers TW's last several years know that they were aggressively discounting fares.
While TW probably isn't the primary driver of AA's problems, it was a huge distraction, esp. in the area of labor relations where AA's attempts to jettison the unwanted TW capacity met w/ opposition from legislators who were determined to ensure that what happened to TW employees would not happen to any other employee group in an acquisition - which is why labor integration laws have changed.
When you combine the labor rancor that already existed at AA because of the botched 2003 out of court restructuring with the TW labor discord, there is no doubt that the cumulative effect has pushed AA's labor relations to the breaking point.
If AA goes into bankruptcy court and forcibly alters labor contracts, the outcome is charting new lows in historical airline labor relations.
AA's lack of ability toe find value in TW regardless of the economy - because the airline industry has always been and always will be cylical - injected alot of unnecessary turmoil into labor relations.
Even with the potential for fuel price hikes slowing, jet fuel prices are set at very high levels for the next several months at least which makes it very possible that the labor offers which AA once made are now impossible to offer again because the company has been further weakened by the latest runup in fuel prices. And it is a given that we will see further runups in fuel prices which the company has to expect and be able to withstand.

I beg to differ WT. I know you like to offer a more calculated, educated hypothesis as to why AA bought TWA.
But being a person of simpler logic, I believe AA bought TWA out of AArogance! AA had to be the biggest and was trying to ONE-UP the potential mergers of other carriers.
Sure, the benefit included eliminating another carrier who was discounting fares.. But the deal was made be #1 in size and any side benefits were after thoughts!

I beg to differ WT. I know you like to offer a more calculated, educated hypothesis as to why AA bought TWA.
But being a person of simpler logic, I believe AA bought TWA out of AArogance! AA had to be the biggest and was trying to ONE-UP the potential mergers of other carriers.
Sure, the benefit included eliminating another carrier who was discounting fares.. But the deal was made be #1 in size and any side benefits were after thoughts!
interesting perspective.... and there were certainly those things being said then.... but it also shows that staying ahead in the market must be built on sound financial reasons. Bulking up based using TW was not financially sound.... and if the reason was as you state, it didn't work. In contrast, the most recent set of airline merges - DL/NW, UA/CO, and now WN/FL all involved financially sound mergers of both airlines.

interesting perspective.... and there were certainly those things being said then.... but it also shows that staying ahead in the market must be built on sound financial reasons. Bulking up based using TW was not financially sound.... and if the reason was as you state, it didn't work. In contrast, the most recent set of airline merges - DL/NW, UA/CO, and now WN/FL all involved financially sound mergers of both airlines.

That's the point WT..Many a AA decision did not work.
Opeining up hubs in RDU and BNA only to close them not too many years later....Buying MD-11s only to retire them not too many years later, Folkkers? MRTC?
Just to name a few.
Now, having said that...no one expects ANY company, or individual, to always make the right decisions....Impossible.
But those repsonsible never have seemed to pay a price for their major gaffes....All we here now is how the unions have to ADAPT...

I never see management being told to ADAPT,,,,,like say to managing effectively and responsibly.
Their mantra has always been...."OUR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY."

AA has had a noted history of being able to make money in spite of itself. That leads to complacency and arrogance....resting on one's laurels!

That's the point WT..Many a AA decision did not work.
Opeining up hubs in RDU and BNA only to close them not too many years later....Buying MD-11s only to retire them not too many years later, Folkkers? MRTC?
Just to name a few.
Now, having said that...no one expects ANY company, or individual, to always make the right decisions....Impossible.
But those repsonsible never have seemed to pay a price for their major gaffes....All we here now is how the unions have to ADAPT...

I never see management being told to ADAPT,,,,,like say to managing effectively and responsibly.
Their mantra has always been...."OUR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY."

AA has had a noted history of being able to make money in spite of itself. That leads to complacency and arrogance....resting on one's laurels!

Every organization makes business decisions that it later discovers weren't nearly as profitable or successful as they initially believed. I was just reading in the WSJ that Cisco is shuttering its flip camera line it purchased in 2009 to focus its attention on its core business. Unfortunately up until the past decade AA was regarded as one of the strongest, most stable and best capitalized carriers in the industry. AA's relevance and influence has diminished considerably with new market entrants like JetBlue and Virgin America and growing competition from foreign carriers on AA's bread and butter international routes. Growth Avianca and Spirit for example are compromising AA's lucrative routes and leadership in MIA. Much like the UAW can't be entirely blamed for the recent woes of the US automakers for management incompetencies and oversights its not fair to hold airline employees and their unions to that standard either.

I think AA really needs a new leader that can instill confidence in the employees and bring the organization back together. Under Arpey's watch AA has slid from #1 to #3, poisoned labor relations, lost vision and future planning, and undermined AA's strength. It seems Horton is his likely successor but I think AA would be better suited getting some new blood from outside the organization.

Josh

Every organization makes business decisions that it later discovers weren't nearly as profitable or successful as they initially believed. I was just reading in the WSJ that Cisco is shuttering its flip camera line it purchased in 2009 to focus its attention on its core business. Unfortunately up until the past decade AA was regarded as one of the strongest, most stable and best capitalized carriers in the industry. AA's relevance and influence has diminished considerably with new market entrants like JetBlue and Virgin America and growing competition from foreign carriers on AA's bread and butter international routes. Growth Avianca and Spirit for example are compromising AA's lucrative routes and leadership in MIA. Much like the UAW can't be entirely blamed for the recent woes of the US automakers for management incompetencies and oversights its not fair to hold airline employees and their unions to that standard either.

I think AA really needs a new leader that can instill confidence in the employees and bring the organization back together. Under Arpey's watch AA has slid from #1 to #3, poisoned labor relations, lost vision and future planning, and undermined AA's strength. It seems Horton is his likely successor but I think AA would be better suited getting some new blood from outside the organization.

Josh

Unfortunately, it would be just another member of the good old boys club. Airline industry mangt. protect their own and just recycle the "best" to another carrier.

Unfortunately, it would be just another member of the good old boys club. Airline industry mangt. protect their own and just recycle the "best" to another carrier.

Bankruptcy, defaults just the kind of hole that Sir Willie Waish @ BA needs to call the White House as the new White Knight. Obama can't keep losing more US jobs, a high profile AMR makes big press.

A Royal wedding could be coming to DFW soon, will AA wear white, like Kate ?

Bankruptcy, defaults just the kind of hole that Sir Willie Waish @ BA needs to call the White House as the new White Knight. Obama can't keep losing more US jobs, a high profile AMR makes big press.

A Royal wedding could be coming to DFW soon, will AA wear white, like Kate ?

And exactly what is Sir Willie to propose? Buying AMR? Dream on. Not only is that illegal under current U.S. law, I don't think there would be a snowball's chance in Hades to get that law changed to allow more than 25% foreign ownership.

Not sure. Doesnt current TWU contract have scope clause barring AA from closing or spinning it off?

Josh

Why didn't you know, contracts are made to be broken. I don't see why any company gets their big girl panties in a bunch about signing off on new contracts. There appears to be no honor in one's word these days. Just file bk (or threaten) and abrogate what you've just negotiated "in good faith".