Crew Chief

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Speaking to my manager last week discussing the new management restructuring and "hiding" of others, he mentioned that the company wants in the new contract to change the crew chief selection process similar to that of the tech crew chief. This is one thing I support.
He also mentioned the increase in crew chief responsibilities when the level 4 supervisor is eliminated. This is already covered in the existing TWU contract. I wonder if there will be an increase in crew chief pay come next contract.

I wonder if there will be an increase in crew chief pay come next contract.

Pay comes before add responsibility. If the Boston Consultants punk kids mess with the Crew Chief ranks it will be war, at least on the line.

Pay comes before add responsibility. If the Boston Consultants punk kids mess with the Crew Chief ranks it will be war, at least on the line.

I agree..It just makes you wonder that since they are restructuring maintenance management, the crew chief will be picking up much slack.

I agree..It just makes you wonder that since they are restructuring maintenance management, the crew chief will be picking up much slack.

Under Article 11 of the agreement as it stands today the company will have a nightmare on there hands. I fully expect that the TWU will let AA have there way at the table to clean up the loop holes in Article 11.

What strikes me the most, is that all these changes in management and crew chief ranks is happening within months of negotiation starting.

They can changes the wording but if they don’t have happy crew chief’s it isn’t going to happen.

IMHO, in the 20+ years with AA, I can HONESTLY and SADLY say, that at least 50% of the CC's I encountered, felt that their # 1 obligation was to the COMPANY, instead of the Union.

In other words, they felt they were COMPANY CC's....Not UNION CC's.

NH/BB's

IMHO, in the 20+ years with AA, I can HONESTLY and SADLY say, that at least 50% of the CC's I encountered, felt that their # 1 obligation was to the COMPANY, instead of the Union.

In other words, they felt they were COMPANY CC's....Not UNION CC's.
NH/BB's

NH/BB's,
The reality is that if your read the Crew Chief responsibility section in the contract, they report directly to management and take their directives from management.

they can be deemed not performing their functions satisfactorily if you just want to take care of your "union" coworkers. They still have a job to do.

NH/BB's,
The reality is that if your read the Crew Chief responsibility section in the contract, they report directly to management and take their directives from management.

Uh, so do all other employees.... They all take directives from management, whether they want to admit it or not.

Uh, so do all other employees.... They all take directives from management, whether they want to admit it or not.

Well not exactly a good Crew Chief runs his crew and keeps management at a distance he assigns work and decided how fast that work will be done based on managements demeanor. Believe me when I tell you the GPM provides many loopholes if one decided to use it. WORK SAFELY AND BY THE BOOK. And if you really want to be late do what management says to the letter because we all know they will f@#$ it up ever time :D

Well not exactly a good Crew Chief runs his crew and keeps management at a distance he assigns work and decided how fast that work will be done based on managements demeanor. Believe me when I tell you the GPM provides many loopholes if one decided to use it. WORK SAFELY AND BY THE BOOK. And if you really want to be late do what management says to the letter because we all know they will f@#$ it up ever time :D

Article 11 would be more fun to play with, but the GPM would ice the cake. Rules are fun to play with.

I wonder if Boston Consulting has looked at all the rules such as the contract and company generated manuals (Gpm, QAM and ect)? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking to my manager last week discussing the new management restructuring and "hiding" of others, he mentioned that the company wants in the new contract to change the crew chief selection process similar to that of the tech crew chief. This is one thing I support.
He also mentioned the increase in crew chief responsibilities when the level 4 supervisor is eliminated. This is already covered in the existing TWU contract. I wonder if there will be an increase in crew chief pay come next contract.

Really? So in other words you want management to pick Crew Chiefs. The TCC process is a sham, 3 management to 2 union, do the math, management picks TCCs.

I remember when nearly all the crew chiefs were very senior, very knowledgable and very effective. The seniority based selection process worked fine. The fact is that the process currently in place is fine, the problem is the pay, which should be based upon a percentage over what one would make as a mechanic. What is ironic is that because the pay is inadequate junior workers often get the Crew Chief bids, then they resent the fact that a senior worker may decide to take the bid when one opens up on a shift that he desires. Some even talk of having "Chew Chief seniority"(but not a seperate OT list). Well if that was in place then these guys probably would have never got the job.

The pool of crew chiefs is just as capable as the pool of supervisors, wouldnt you agree? So the results of the seniority based system have been just as good as the results of having management pick who they want. So why give it up?

Really? So in other words you want management to pick Crew Chiefs. The TCC process is a sham, 3 management to 2 union, do the math, management picks TCCs.

I remember when nearly all the crew chiefs were very senior, very knowledgable and very effective. The seniority based selection process worked fine. The fact is that the process currently in place is fine, the problem is the pay, which should be based upon a percentage over what one would make as a mechanic. What is ironic is that because the pay is inadequate junior workers often get the Crew Chief bids, then they resent the fact that a senior worker may decide to take the bid when one opens up on a shift that he desires. Some even talk of having "Chew Chief seniority"(but not a seperate OT list). Well if that was in place then these guys probably would have never got the job.

The pool of crew chiefs is just as capable as the pool of supervisors, wouldnt you agree? So the results of the seniority based system have been just as good as the results of having management pick who they want. So why give it up?

The TCC's we have are all pretty knowledgeable. You know as well as I do there are names which I won't reveal here.

But you know the guy who almost got fired for slugging a TCC 2 weeks before his retirement????????????

Would you like him as a CC or TCC because of his seniority?

UH, I was responding to NH/BB's that IT is not just a matter of being obligated to the company, but a condition of the position.

The fact is that the process currently in place is fine, the problem is the pay, which should be based upon a percentage over what one would make as a mechanic.
Pay is the real problem with the job. Why bother taking on the headache for the table scraps it pays. Although I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of crew review to sh*t can the rats and bootlickers who act more as a supervisor and less like a unionists; you know the Power-Trip Crew Chiefs. ;)

Personally, I'd rather have a couple of seasoned crew chiefs running my operation than operational supervisors. If nothing else, they usually have the respect of their folks, and that by itself can move mountains.

Pay is the real problem with the job. Why bother taking on the headache for the table scraps it pays.

You can say the same thing with supervisors and managers... there are a lot of L3 supervisors earning less than a topped out crew chief. M&E made their supv's L4's to get around that problem (and also to recognize the license).

Even today, I try to keep my managers and supervisors earning 10-20% more than the people they supervise (please don't try to twist this into executive compensation...). Personally, I think it's wrong to put someone in the position of earning less than the people they're supervising. But, under the seniority system, that's what happens.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of crew review to sh*t can the rats and bootlickers who act more as a supervisor and less like a unionists; you know the Power-Trip Crew Chiefs. ;)

You want peer reviews? Interesting concept, but that runs the danger of becoming a modified popularity contest.

Oh, wait, you already have experience with popularity contests. It's called local elections... ;)