Customer Service?

Perhaps a backup third shift when weather problems are anticipated would help? I know it has been done in other industries.

But wait--that would require planning...and they will say it's too expensive. It's probably more cost effective than stranding hundreds of customers and having to rebook them, deliver bags, etc.....

Pardon me, I have to jump over that dollar so I can get to the nickel over there.....

With due respect, that option just doesn't fly (pardon the pun). Although many passengers are seasoned road warriors, many are also infrequent flyers to whom today's flight has been long awaited and planned. They have fretted about it for weeks. Now the airline cancels the flight, they don't know to whom to turn, Customer Service tells them they are closed, and you suggest just leisurely make your way to a motel and settle everything there? Come on, man. Get real.

Obviously the need is for more personnel who are not mandated each day to work well past their shift. A pay increase would help them too. But reality prevails: if this continues, you are in a death spiral. Start getting your resumes up-to-date. If I were still working there, I would do whatever it took to replace management, because it sounds like they see the problems, but refuse to rectify them. Are they just bidding time before the inevitable?
No, I don't think they can! Are you part of the problem, or are you working toward a solution? I would be if I still worked there.

I dont think you get it. Agents are waaaaay!!!! passed it. Do you think employees after these long days are going to spend their time tyring to get rid of managment!! You have no idea about how really BAD it is! It is not the employees job or in their power to fix how screwed up things are. Put your hours in and go home. Those of us who understand think that if Tempe gets enough complaints, MANAGEMENT will do THEIR job!!! Agents have been overworked for a long time, its time for managment to be held accountable. If Tempe chooses not to address the situation how would employees fix it? Be glad you retired and until you walk in their shoes please dont attack these agents work ethic. Mama

All of You need to understand something,
MANAGEMENT does not care or want to hear what you have to say. THEY COULD CARE LESS ! ! ! ! ! Many of us here, myself included, have tried numerous times to change things. We have suggested ways of improving operational performance, better scheduling of employees, ways to lower baggage problems, etc, etc, etc..... ALL TO FALL ON DEAF EARS.

Remember what our Fine VP Anthony Muele has to say, We want you here for a JOB, not a career!!!!

Like a lost puppy, you can only get beat up so long before you get numb to the beatings.

Without knowing the specifics of the agents on duty, its kind of hard to say they did wrong for their personal needs. While I agree that there should be someone to help the customers, do we know if the agents had been there all day long? Were they already mandatoried from the morning shift? Had they had a chance to go to the restroom during their day or eat something? We had agents today who came in at 445am and were due off at 6pm and were mandatoried to stay due canx flights. At what point in time (late night in CLT) does the employee who has been there all day say enough is enough? If there were other agents scheduled to be there, someone should have made sure the agents were there. If there werent agents available, management should have been there until someone arrived to assist. Maybe the agents were still working the delayed flights. Sounds like they should have more help. During the Apr storm I did 11 hours without a break and 9 1/2 the next day without a break and after 2 days of constant rerouting it takes a toll. If the agents had been there more than 12 hours already, then someone else should have been sent to cover the line. If the agents were just off and done with their 8 hours, then I would agree that they should have stayed, but I guess we'll never know.

You know, if this had happened in PHL, everyone would have gone, well, you know those PHL people.

Instead, in CLT, we make all kinds of excuses we never extend to PHL.

Perhaps the disease vector is not PHL, but Tempe.

How many more examples does anyone need? It is bad management. So, when do the employees get to fire management? I'd say that Alfred E. Neuman has better management skills than the present morons.

There are options. Who is willing to exercise those options?

You know, if this had happened in PHL, everyone would have gone, well, you know those PHL people.

Instead, in CLT, we make all kinds of excuses we never extend to PHL.

Perhaps the disease vector is not PHL, but Tempe.

The PHL issues, by all accounts, existed long before Tempe was ever anything more then a place for an overnight stay or a place to have a drink for US Air. With that said, current management is solely concerned with lowest unit cost and is not interested in increasing staffing for when thiongs go worse then normal (which is already bad).

The PHL issues, by all accounts, existed long before Tempe was ever anything more then a place for an overnight stay or a place to have a drink for US Air.

Such bovine excrement will never fix any problems. Tempe must acknowledge their failure led to or enhanced any costumer service problems. The fact that they will not, ropes them into the same criminal behavior exhibited by both PHL and CLT. Lazy pieces of dung.

Such bovine excrement will never fix any problems. Tempe must acknowledge their failure led to or enhanced any costumer service problems. The fact that they will not, ropes them into the same criminal behavior exhibited by both PHL and CLT. Lazy pieces of dung.

Did you read my second sentence?

I dont think you get it. Agents are waaaaay!!!! passed it. Do you think employees after these long days are going to spend their time tyring to get rid of managment!! You have no idea about how really BAD it is! It is not the employees job or in their power to fix how screwed up things are. Put your hours in and go home. Those of us who understand think that if Tempe gets enough complaints, MANAGEMENT will do THEIR job!!! Agents have been overworked for a long time, its time for managment to be held accountable. If Tempe chooses not to address the situation how would employees fix it? Be glad you retired and until you walk in their shoes please dont attack these agents work ethic. Mama

Hey Mama, thanks for your input. My point was not to disparage anyone. From the many posts here I feel for what you are going through. It was only an attempt at a reality check. First and foremost, have everyone still employed realize that without satisfied customers there will not be a lemonade stand. So the choice is to 1) make customers happy if you want to remain employed there, or 2) prepare yourself for a new job. You can't have it both ways.

As far as dealing with management, how about starting a campaign directed at the Board of Directors enlightening them of the day to day reality/operations. They have a fuduciary (legal) responsibility to the stock holders and creditors to put forth a best effort. Perhaps in the process they will see the ineptness of the present immediate management. Just a thought.

I dont think you get it. Agents are waaaaay!!!! passed it. Do you think employees after these long days are going to spend their time tyring to get rid of managment!! You have no idea about how really BAD it is!

Agreed. Things are bad and may only get worse when the full summer travel season is in full swing. The problems stem from managers who don't know their position or the options available to rectify large scale problems. Good managers anticipate problems and fix them before they become disasters. The tools may be scarce, but good managers find a way to make the tools available to them work FOR them.

Our evening agents were mandatoried again tonight. This makes 3 nights in a row that the 600 and 715 off agents had to stay. Tomorrow night (FRI) we are even shorter on staff than we were tonight. If we have any kind of problem at all, another night of mandatory. They even called this morning begging people to come in early (due canx flight).
The staffing model has to change with the crap computer system we have to work with. You just cant do things as quickly and as efficiently as before. You can get the job done eventually, but it takes much longer and with irregularities (and limited protection) it takes more people to do the same job as before (but we're shorter staffed than before.)
1 crew canx, 1 maint canx, 1 crew rest delay( of course the 210pm INTL PHL CONX flight and 1 maint misconx tonight) Just another wonderful day at work. This makes 3 in a row with numerous delays/canx. Anyway want to stay for some ot? :down:

Get this one ... in one station, as instructed by Tempe, additional agents were hired. On the next schedule bid the manager cut the length of his part-time agent shifts in half (down from 6.5 hours to 3&4 hours shifts) now thanks to the cuts they are more grossly understaffed than before??? The company is paying benefits to the new hires, and the employees nor customers are seeing any improvement.

Did'nt Tempe invent some type of super duper rapid "HUB" responce team that was to help out in situations like this?

do any passengers actually listen to the conversations that are going on at the counter? If you heard the awful things people say would YOU stay longer to take that kind of abuse??? Also, a la reality show, people feed off each other. If the previous guy called the agent a nasty name, just wait til I get to her....
I am not an agent but I can mentally walk a mile in their shoes... <_<