Cwa To Discuss Giving Away Your Seniorty

ClueByFour said:
Why should the AWA folks take it in the chops because they work for a younger company?
[post="292450"][/post]​

Because they had the chance to organize a union and didn't!

The CWA is the only union at US Airways that got seniority protection in the event of a merger or acquisition written into their contract. What the he!! good is a contract if you don't honor it. In BK they took our pay, benifits, vacation, sick leave, holidays ... but we held on to our seniority language, the CWA better not give that up!!!!

Just curious if anyone thinks that hundreds of US agents are suddenly going to head West? I know that I would not move again for this company until things are on better footing. I would venture a guess that there might be some people wanting to head West, but not as many as those on here might think. I would think that the most likely to move would be the fairly new hires in PHL/LGA/BOS. Most of us "old farts" are pretty settled in for now. Thanks though.

I think your right about staying put. Not many with family and homes would pack up and head west at the drop of a dime....especially in these times. And I would not head East for TRIPLE pay or seniority.

Current CWA contract does not allow bumping.... and there is very little over lap of the systems. So if the AWA guys get a livable wage under a CWA contract they should be happy, right now they all qualify for welfare.

Put a fence around things in LAS and PHX if they want. I know they wont put one around CLT or PHL (although the one in PHL would be to keep them in!!!) ;)
The majority of the HP people wouldnt be able to hold many cities in the East anyway unless they came over as CARS or EO positions. PHL- they can use all the help they can get so not many would be complaining about some HP people coming in.
Maybe some would be able to hold DCA/LGA/BOS and a few other cities, but as of now, not many places. Even with our 19 EOs and 1 quitting we still have recalls and no positions to fill (other than CARS).

Part of the reason that HP is so junior is not because it is a "new" airline. It's because HP didn't think enough of the employees to pay them airline "standard" wages, or they couldn't afford it. It seems that they didn't want the employees to stick it out for 10 years or so until top out where most airlines provided a livable wage for a time. There was no future, so why stay.
It is customary in the aviation industry that seniority is a benifit. It is supposed to have weight. With most airlines it has everything to do with the individuals lot in the company. HP denied that weight to their employees in such a fashion. "Merit raises" and boarding priority by time of checkin are but a couple of examples. I must admit I dont understand all of inner workings of employee seniority at HP.
Seniority is defined by Websters as : "Priority over others by reason of service" It is not the easiest thing in the world to achieve total fairness, however, it cannot be stressed enough, that for the good of the company, that adherence to the policies that preserve seniority as it is defined and is customary.
For what it's worth.

In my opinion, The seniority will stay as D.O.H. America West will try to off set the seniority issue by keeping THEIR Travel Policy of "first come , first serve" instead of D.O.H. on the standby list. This will somewhat soften the seniority issue at least at the Customer Service level as you cant move into a position unless there is one available.

B.O.B. said:
Because they had the chance to organize a union and didn't!
[post="292514"][/post]​

Tell that to those NWA mechanics whom are about to unemployed ! Glad you support them but Airline Unions will become nothing more than NorthEast Supermarket Unions.. At least they have better priscription drug plans!

ClueByFour said:
And relatively speaking that's correct.

Why should the AWA folks take it in the chops because they work for a younger company?
[post="292450"][/post]​
First, no one made them work for a younger company, that was their choice. And second, what were they doing twenty years ago when the US employee was hired? The 20 year US employees thought they were accruing some valuable seniority when they had to take the crap shifts and vacations.

ClueByFour said:
\
Why should the 10 year guy have to work weekend nights because his/her healthy airline merged with US (on death's door)?

The HP agent had some decent career expectations. Absent the merger, the US agent has no career expectations.

I
[post="292506"][/post]​

A modest propopsal: :) (in spite of the title and the smilie) this is serious.

A formula giving relative (ie weighted) percentile to everyone. If you are in the 90th percentile at either carrier, you end up in the 90th percentile at the combined carrier. If you're in the 50th percentile, you end up at the 50th percentile, and so on.
In essence (on a company wide, if not station basis) no one loses, no one gains.

deltawatch said:
"Why should the 10 year guy have to work weekend nights because his/her healthy airline merged with US (on death's door)?"

Because the union at the "death's door airline" has a contract that says if a healthy or unhealthy airline buys them, their seniority must be honored, 100% by the combined company, or there can be no deal. Any other questions?
[post="292510"][/post]​
No other question, but all they have to do is go back to the courts that are so friendly to US Air and throw that out of your contract so it will merge :)

That won't happen, the company has to prove under section 1113 c that a whole contract abrogation is necessary in order to emerge from bankruptcy, and I seriously doubt seniority intergration would cause that.

And it will be Date of Hire, watch, wait and see.

And if you are a CSA or RES at HP, you have no contract and will follow what is in the CWA agreement.

The US Airways folks ALL HAVE Allegheny/Mohawk Labor Protection Provisions. And all the US Airways mergers over the years have been Date of Hire.

And Remember HP is not buying US the investors are, just a few short months ago HP said they would run out of cash.

Back