Cwa Workers Will Vote "no!" On More Concessions...

Aug 23, 2002
It is my honest opinion that anything more asked of the CWA workers that include the reservation agents, gate agents, ticket counter agents will be voted down....and voted down "big time"...

The last vote only squeaked by with a couple of votes, and that was before Mr Siegel left with 4.5 million dollars in his back pocket...

I also believe no group has given up so much in trying to help the company....In comparrision to the benefits they get....
Some but not all of the concessions give up to help the company from CWA
members include:

1. Lower salary accepted

2. No pensions from employer....

3. Gave up 2 paid holidays, when most business have 10 paid holidays...

4. Agreed to accept pay at only 75% of a weeks pay for a week of vacation, when bills come in at 100%

5. Much higher medical preniums!

6. Much higher medical deductibles with worse coverage!...

7. Layoffs at many Reservation Centers including:Syracuse, Orlando, Indianapolis, San Diego, Dayton, etc.

8. Agreed to, and had 5% pay deferral for 18 months...

9.Loss of many mainline airport stations jobs...

10. Use of Kisoks & curbside porters instead dedicated airline agents....

11. Added workload calls of United & Luthansia in addition to USAIRWAYS calls...And now, also Star Alliance calls to include a total of 15 airlines to book...

12. Loss of the Spanish desk...

And, not a mention of any "guarantee" of a job in return for having giving up all of this...

I think that if this company has any long term future, it has to be made on growth, expansion, customer confidence, and mutual respect between the front line workers and management...

;) Agent:
You hit the nail, right on the head. You are 100% correct on all statements in your post. You can add to your list, all the agents that were bumped from full time to part time. Thats a 50% pay cut alone.

Good Luck to all of you. It would be interesting what your pay would be if HP bought U. I started at $7.65 an hour and just got a 4% pay raise. No guarantee of any raises in the future to compare to U. Stick to your guns and as I said GOOD LUCK!!!

In Feb. it was asked at a meeting with managment if all groups were expected to contribute to concesssions again, and they said no. Not all groups would be able to contribute...they mentioned ramp and cwa.

So regardless of what all think and/or ALPA, not all groups are able to contribute even if they wanted to.

I personally do not see CWA or IAM in the equation, as the business plan hits them right between the eyes. Their jobs are in jeopardy with or without concessions.

If the f/as decide to send the negotiating committee to the table, I can't see PIT f/as approving this or even ratifying an agreement for any additional concessons.

They too, know the jobs will start to vanish in PIT and many will not want to commute on RJs trying to get seats, and take on that added expense just to get to work and risk discipline.

Management can not expect the groups to sign on regardless of the risks.

Mangaement has to make a decision on whether to keep the doors open or not, and attempt to get what concessions they can, and work with that.

drifterreno said:
Good Luck to all of you. It would be interesting what your pay would be if HP bought U. I started at $7.65 an hour and just got a 4% pay raise. No guarantee of any raises in the future to compare to U. Stick to your guns and as I said GOOD LUCK!!!
Driftereno,

Did you know that in Pittsburgh, a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) which is 4 weeks of training ( I've taught it) pay rate is starting at $14 an hour.

Pick up any newspaper in Pittsburgh. It states it right there. Its difficult work as you have direct contact with patients ADL's, but they offer good wages and benefits. In our area, there is a major demand for this type of work. Either in nursing homes, hospitals, or private care. Keep in mind, that PA has the second largest ederly population in the USA.

Where there is a demand, folks should get envolved in that work.

Yep, say "no" to concessions and you'll all lose your jobs or they'll be shipped off to India. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, there is plenty more to lose. Between kiosks, gate readers, and the push for customers using the web the only safe function is baggage service. Even if the CWA says no to everything jobs will still go out the door.

SalesGuyCCY said:
Yep, say "no" to concessions and you'll all lose your jobs or they'll be shipped off to India. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you will lose it too!

PITbull said:
In Feb. it was asked at a meeting with managment if all groups were expected to contribute to concesssions again, and they said no. Not all groups would be able to contribute...they mentioned ramp and cwa.

So regardless of what all think and/or ALPA, not all groups are able to contribute even if they wanted to.

I personally do not see CWA or IAM in the equation, as the business plan hits them right between the eyes. Their jobs are in jeopardy with or without concessions.

If the f/as decide to send the negotiating committee to the table, I can't see PIT f/as approving this or even ratifying an agreement for any additional concessons.

They too, know the jobs will start to vanish in PIT and many will not want to commute on RJs trying to get seats, and take on that added expense just to get to work and risk discipline.

Management can not expect the groups to sign on regardless of the risks.

Mangaement has to make a decision on whether to keep the doors open or not, and attempt to get what concessions they can, and work with that.
PIT Bull:

Where were you when SAN, LAX, SFO, MIA. GSO, SYR, BWI Crew Bases as well as Reservations Centers at various locations were closed? It was a harsh reality for those then affected, just as it will be a harsh reality for those at Fort Pitt in the very near future.

Very few at USAir shed a tear for any PSA or PI employees when we were adversely affected by that "Cool Northern Efficiency" that was Colodny's forte.

How about a salute and "Well Done" to all the displaced Pilots, FA's, IAM & Related, CWA and other employees that have been risking the added expense and discipline for the last 15 years while you've been protecting your flock in PIT. Come on in PIT Bull the water's fine!

Sorry it's happening to you, but get over it and get on with it. U has let SWA kick sand in our face since Operation Desert Storage One in 1991 when Messrs. Malin and Scofield cut and run from the West Coast. Then we gave them the Florida Shuttle followed by BWI. Now PHL is our Waterloo.

Remember, those previous meetings were in February. A lot has changed since then. I don't think you can count on the Pilots to subsidize unskilled labor going forward. Many pilots feel concessions made prior to and during CH 11 were way to excessive compared to other employee groups. While the Pilots have the most to lose if U liquidates, I wouldn't count on other groups being concession free this time around.

Pitbull is correct in her assertion that current contract language and the business plan will decimate station agents.

The Palace will ask of many of these folks the ultimate concession - permanent downgrade or termination.

Believe me, management is not sweating the outcome of any fleet or CWA 'vote.'

coachrowsey said:
There is nothing else to give. What is it about that you don't understand ?
Here's a good suggestion. Don't give, just
Quit. If you don't like the direction the company
is going in, you'll continue to be a drain on
resources and productivity. If you quit,
you'll be happier and so will the employees
who want to stay at lower wages.

Ya know folks....we are all big boys and girls and we will vote to do what we each think is best for our own interests. "nough said... bring on the vote and see what happens. :p

Latest posts

Back