Cwa Workers Will Vote "no!" On More Concessions...

CS AGENT said:
When I was hired in 1984, This was the most desired job for many.
Piedmont hired 1 out of every 250 applications in CLT. Most of us have college degrees and chose to work for an airline.
I have many talents and a General Contractors License. I do home repair and remodeling on the side, but still like airline work and have invested 20 years of my life in it.
The employees of this company are not the reason we are in this predictiment, nor is 9-11. IT IS MANAGEMENT and I will Not work for less. I will simply see them close the doors and start building homes full time.
The past is totally irrelevant as it relates to US Airways at this very minute. My advice to you - start building homes fulltime. There will anyways be demand for homes and home repairs even during times of a poor economy.

Interesting you say your a contractor. If I could go back 25-years I would have pursued a job, leading into my own business, as a re-roofer. A neighbor of mine was quoted $6,400 to re-roof his basic 1,600 sf single story home. It took him weeks to find a contractor who was even willing to do the job.

FM2436 said:
I'm sure I'll strike a nerve with this comment, but how skilled are airline computer reservationists and customer service agents anyways. Its not like they're computer programers and technicians. In my early career I worked in airline operations where the computer work was basically monkey-see-monkey-do work. All you really needed to learn was how to fill in the blanks on the computer screen.
Well, as someone who spent 20+ years designing and building those computer screens, I would say yeah well for someone in operations you would need monkey-see-monkey-do type screens.

That, however, is not the kind of screens that reservationists and cs agents work with. They have to know codes that are, at best, cryptic and arcane, that were designed 30-40 years ago and have become so ingrained in the travel industry that they are too expensive to change now.

Website type travel systems are designed for the traveler who is not a travel expert. They are designed to provide the most direct routing at a selection of times and prices. They do not know how to re-route you to LAX through ORD because the non-stop from PHL cancelled due to a mechanical. Those systems can not make the value judgement that gives you--a million mile FF--the upgrade to F/C ahead of the person who is going to exhaust their entire FF account with this one upgrade because they only fly once or twice a year.

Those systems do not know how to placate you when your luggage/minor child/connecting flight goes astray. Those systems are not subject to verbal and physical abuse from drunken jerks--well not all of them, some of them are stone-cold sober jerks.

The average airport gate agent needs the intuition of a mindreader, the people skills of a diplomat, and the physical stamina of a marathon runner. Other than that, you're right, it doesn't take much to be a gate agent.

My, my, I have always supported all other work groups, as saw us as a company, and have never commented on other people's job functions, as I do not know them well enough. I am glad people think it is "monkey see. monkey do. That explains the 6 week training I had before I was officially hired, just to get into basic reservations, not discounting weeks of further training to go to specialty depts.

We have just had Star Alliance dropped literally into our laps, and I can assure you that is no "monkey see, monkey do" work, nor filling gaps on screens, and so far it has generated some great business. You are correct the airline industry has some old ingrained archaic practices to keep it internationally uniform, and that includes lack of etkt agreements with most overseas carriers, it's called IATA.

You forget that we , also like the ATO's have to deal with, as well as booking tickets, every complaint about the nasty F/A, the lost bag, flight delays, The lost bag, misconx,the lost bag, that unfortunately no computer can do on it's own.

The ATO's are seriously understaffed, and regardless of computer enhancements the general American public are not a very savvy lot. They do not like change, they do not like trying things out, they do not accept any responsibilty for anything negative, especially if they created it, so that is what we are paid for. To ease their journey, fufil their dream that they checked in early enough, reassure them a special plane is flying to deliver their toothbrush to them, and yes we are responsible for the weather, and the wrong day/time/destination/name THEY bothed on the net.

Yes, we do not want to see more job losses, yes, we know they are coming down the pike, no we can't take anymore ph calls faster than we all ready do, no we cant serve anyone at the counter any faster than we do.

Ask CCY how many $10,000 fines we paid last year, as a result of disability complaints by px? (The amount is large). Why? Lack of staff at the ATO to assist. Their priorities are to get people on and off planes so they depart and arrive on time.

Please do not put down a work group you know diddly about.

CS AGENT said:
When I was hired in 1984, This was the most desired job for many.
Piedmont hired 1 out of every 250 applications in CLT. Most of us have college degrees and chose to work for an airline.
I have many talents and a General Contractors License. I do home repair and remodeling on the side, but still like airline work and have invested 20 years of my life in it.
The employees of this company are not the reason we are in this predictiment, nor is 9-11. IT IS MANAGEMENT and I will Not work for less. I will simply see them close the doors and start building homes full time.
If UAIR goes belly up in CLT you might want to reconsider building new homes. A Chapter 7 liquidation will have a huge impact on the housing market despite how many new jobs BOFA is promising.

reznc said:
Please do not put down a work group you know diddly about.
reznc:

What marketable skills will a ex-US Airways reservationist or customer service agent be able to take with them into the non-airline common job market that will start you at a salary of $21,000?

I don't think you'll be hired as a branch bank manager at the local Bank of America. Nor do I think you'll be hired to replace the existing manager at the local Lowes or Arby's. I bet your not a doctor or a lawyer. I doubt you have a real estate license to sell a house. Maybe you could get a job selling automobiles or be a receptionist in a dentist's office?

How condescending and arrogant. When are they going to get the IGNORE feature enabled here, cause I could skip about half the posters. :down:

From doing a "quick" glance at Monster.com...
Progressive call center starting salary $11.91/hr + bennies total $24700/year starting pay

Vanguard Medical/ Customer Service $10-12/hr +bennies and 401k total $20800-$25000/year starting pay.

Numerous credit card call offices starting salary $13/hr + bennies and 401K plus bonuses total $27000/year starting pay.

For those of us who have already been downgraded to part time at 20 hours a week, the difference isnt that much (actually some of these positions would be a raise). I'm sure there are more "opportunistic" options available if someone were to do a more in depth search. And before someone tells me to leave then, I dont want to and am not going to until I have to because I actually ENJOY what I do.

tadjr said:
How condescending and arrogant. When are they going to get the IGNORE feature enabled here, cause I could skip about half the posters. :down:
tadjr:

I wouldn't call my posts condescending and arrogant. I'd call it facing harsh realities when being confronted with the very real possibility in a post US Airways era. What are the majority of ex-US Airways reservationists and customer service agents going to do? Sure, they'll find jobs, a dollar or two above minimum wage and not necesssarily the 3 you mention.

You mention wishing a IGNORE feature was available. Maybe thats your way of facing a potential post US Airways era. Just ignore it.

FM2436 said:
reznc:

What marketable skills will a ex-US Airways reservationist or customer service agent be able to take with them into the non-airline common job market that will start you at a salary of $21,000?

I don't think you'll be hired as a branch bank manager at the local Bank of America. Nor do I think you'll be hired to replace the existing manager at the local Lowes or Arby's. I bet your not a doctor or a lawyer. I doubt you have a real estate license to sell a house. Maybe you could get a job selling automobiles or be a receptionist in a dentist's office?
FYI

The majority of the people I work with have degrees, including Masters and PhDs. Personally, I have a teaching degree majoring in Literature and minoring in communications and art. I am certified to teach Secondary English Education. I took the job as a res agent because I was not willing to move out of state and did not want to substitute for peanuts. The schedule fit my needs and my spouse and I were able to both work without putting my children in day care. That has changed and I am now the sole income. I am preparing my house to sell and will move half way around the world if need be to support my family.

I doubt with the comments you made that you have the first clue of what you are talking about. Before you open your trap and attempt to degrade people you know nothing about, please realize those you degrade are probably more educated and more intelligent than you.

youngblood said:
Personally, I have a teaching degree majoring in Literature and minoring in communications and art. I am certified to teach Secondary English Education. I took the job as a res agent because I was not willing to move out of state and did not want to substitute for peanuts. The schedule fit my needs and my spouse and I were able to both work without putting my children in day care. That has changed and I am now the sole income. I am preparing my house to sell and will move half way around the world if need be to support my family.
Youngblood:

Sounds like your better prepared than most for a post US Airways era. Good luck, but wouldn't staying with US Airways be better than preparing to sell your house and move half way around the world be to able to support your family? Its a heck of a lot easiler to find a new job while still employed than to find one when your unemployed.

FM2436 said:
You mention wishing a IGNORE feature was available. Maybe thats your way of facing a potential post US Airways era. Just ignore it.
Not at all, I've been facing a post USAirways reality for many years now seeing that with 19 years, I'm fairly junior in my station. The threat of not having a job at US has been there for quite a while so I've got alternatives lined up, if needed. I personally dont want to leave the job since I enjoy it and the traveling I can do, but am in no way in denial over the possibility of it being gone one day.
I'm just over those who know whats best for us and like to lump everyone into the "minimum wage" group.
I appreciate all the concern everyone has that we'll all end up at McDonalds (or Wendys) selling fries, but am really interested to know why it matters to so many people what we end up doing and why you've taken such an interest in our post USAirways careers? Just seems a bit odd to me. :unsure:

tadjr,

Does the quote from FM sound familiar?

"Its a heck of a lot easiler to find a new job while still employed than to find one when your unemployed. "

Seems to be a favorite of those who want others to vote for anything that will save the poster's job.

Jim

tadjr said:
I appreciate all the concern everyone has that we'll all end up at McDonalds (or Wendys) selling fries, but am really interested to know why it matters to so many people what we end up doing and why you've taken such an interest in our post USAirways careers? Just seems a bit odd to me.
tadjr and Boeingboy:

I don't what any employee of US Airways to be confronted with a harsh reality involved with a post US Airways era. Yes, I believe a third round of concessions is necessary.

tadjr: You have a marketable skill. Purse it. Purse it, purse it, purse it.

FM,

Then maybe you had better face the "harsh reality involved with a post US Airways era." Siegel's plan, being sold by Lakefield, is too little, too late.

Jim

FM2436 said:
I'm sure I'll strike a nerve with this comment, but how skilled are airline computer reservationists and customer service agents anyways. Its not like they're computer programers and technicians. In my early career I worked in airline operations where the computer work was basically monkey-see-monkey-do work. All you really needed to learn was how to fill in the blanks on the computer screen.

I can't imagin the huge majority of laidoff US Airways CWA members finding any thing greater ($$$) outside of US Airways. I suppost they'll would be able to operate the cash register at WalMart or at the Piggly-Wiggly.
You cannot be serious! This shows how limited you really think and how much you do not know. It seems that you dont know that there are nurses, accountants, teachers, construction contractors, antique dealers, interior designers , etc in reservations. These people are extremely skilled in many ways. It seems that you dont know that it takes alot more than answering a phone or standing at a computer to be an airline employee, they take all of their skills and use them to make the airline a better place. They are hardworking, dedicated, educated, resilliant people, and no matter what happens with the company, they will definetly survive.

To the people who decided they know what we do, and what we need to do, I just want to know why you feel we need to get out, why we are so uneducated? I made a simple statement that unless you have done the work, really you dont understand, and obviously you don't. In INT, should we be laid off, I would be shocked to see anyone at McDonlads, as previuosly stated most, people have extremely marketable skills and degrees. We choose to work there and have a reputation as being one of the best in airline call centres. Yes, a lot of us are middleaged, the younger people normally can not handle the constant nastiness and ignorance by the rude callers we frequently get. We were employed because we had skills U wanted that were over and above taken an order and a credit card, and alot of us choose to have a change in our lives due to various reasons.

You defintiely have strong feelings about us, and I deplore you for making comments on something you know nothing about, but dont forget we all need each other, the internet can not do it alone. In fact the internet/computer is only good for purchasing a simple round trip/one way ticket. It can not reaccomodate, find lost baggage, locate your DM number, book your infant seat, placate you because your wife's flight is late, change your reservation.

So my suggestion to you, seeing as you have many for us, is go and clean your own backyard before you attempt to tell how us to clean up ours.

Latest posts