Daddy, why do you work two jobs?

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Child:Daddy, why do you have to work two jobs?

Father: Because I dont make enough as an Aircraft mechanic to provide for us all.

Child; But Joeys dad is an aircraft mechanic, he does the same thing as you and he doesnt have to work two jobs.

Father: Well my union, the TWU, tells me "Thats because they (where Joeys Dad works)dont have overhaul".

Child: Whats that?

Father; Thats where they take an airplane out of serice and rebuild it.

Child: But why does that mean you should make less than Joey's dad?

Father: Well I'm told that if I was paid the same as Joeys Dad that the company might get rid of overhhaul.

Since the plane is out of service for a long time and planes fly fast its cheap for them to fly a plane to a place where its cheap to live, so they can pay mechanics less and they can still afford things. At the company where I work they dont care how expensive things are for us,and either does the union, they demand that we all get paid pretty much the same no matter where we live. They say if I dont like it, "move to Tulsa".

Child; Whats Tulsa?

Father; Its a city in the Midwest where they have a lot of tornados, floods and droughts. And even if we did try to move there not everyone can, somebody has to be here to fix the planes during day to day operations.

Child; I dont want to live there Daddy, besides how would I get to see Grandma and all my cousins and friends?

Father: You wouldnt.

Child: So you make less in order to protect the guys who want to live in Tulsa?

Father; Yes, thats what I'm told.

Child: And what do the guys in Tulsa do for you?Father: Not much, in fact after they made the concessions so that my pay was cut even more than theirs was, they even tried to take away a little stipend called "line pay" that we get because we work odd shifts and weekends.

Child; It doesnt seem like those people are very greatful for what you've done. They sound selfish. If I had a freind like that you and Mommy would tell me not to bother playing with him anymore.

Father: Well they claim that I'm being selfish. Their Union leaders claim that since they are the majority it doesnt matter what happens to us.We should just shut up and accept it. They say that we should be willing to earn less on the line than other airlines so they can earn more on overhaul than at other places where they do overhaul.

Child; Daddy, that doesnt make any sense to me. You guys need a union.

Father; We sure do.

Child; I wish you had the same union as Joeys Dad. It doesnt seem like your union cares about us at all. We have to do without in order to protect them and in return they try to take away even more!

Father: Thats right but thats the way my union says it should be.

Child: Daddy, who fights for us?

You guys should consider taking out another one page ad in the Tulsa World and print that for all the sttoges to see.

Guess you didn't bother to tell 'child' why the cost of living in NYC is so high.

The unions in that part of the country may be considered stronger, but you end up paying for it by subsidizing everyone else's higher wages.

Of course, it's easier to point the finger at Tulsa.

Guess you didn't bother to tell 'child' why the cost of living in NYC is so high.

The unions in that part of the country may be considered stronger, but you end up paying for it by subsidizing everyone else's higher wages.

MJK's talk with a child:

Child: Why is it so expensive to live in New York?

MJK: Well it's those unions of course.

Child: But isn't NYC the financial capital of the world?

MJK: Don't matter what it is, it's those unions I tell you.

Child: How do you know it's the unions.

MJK: I don't, but I've been told so therefore it is.

Child: I learned in grammar school that your ignorant to believe everything your told without checking to see if it's fact.

MJK: Are those union teachers that's teaching this stuff?

And what is the reason for the high cost of living in LA,
SFO, SAN, Chicago and Miami?

Bob,
You should transfer to TULSA where it is cheaper to live and start enjoying some of the finer things of life

Child:Daddy, why do you have to work two jobs?

Father: Because I dont make enough as an Aircraft mechanic to provide for us all.

Child; But Joeys dad is an aircraft mechanic, he does the same thing as you and he doesnt have to work two jobs.

Father: Well my union, the TWU, tells me "Thats because they (where Joeys Dad works)dont have overhaul".

Child: Whats that?

Father; Thats where they take an airplane out of serice and rebuild it.

Child: But why does that mean you should make less than Joey's dad?

Father: Well I'm told that if I was paid the same as Joeys Dad that the company might get rid of overhhaul.

Since the plane is out of service for a long time and planes fly fast its cheap for them to fly a plane to a place where its cheap to live, so they can pay mechanics less and they can still afford things. At the company where I work they dont care how expensive things are for us,and either does the union, they demand that we all get paid pretty much the same no matter where we live. They say if I dont like it, "move to Tulsa".

Child; Whats Tulsa?

Father; Its a city in the Midwest where they have a lot of tornados, floods and droughts. And even if we did try to move there not everyone can, somebody has to be here to fix the planes during day to day operations.

Child; I dont want to live there Daddy, besides how would I get to see Grandma and all my cousins and friends?

Father: You wouldnt.

Child: So you make less in order to protect the guys who want to live in Tulsa?

Father; Yes, thats what I'm told.

Child: And what do the guys in Tulsa do for you?Father: Not much, in fact after they made the concessions so that my pay was cut even more than theirs was, they even tried to take away a little stipend called "line pay" that we get because we work odd shifts and weekends.

Child; It doesnt seem like those people are very greatful for what you've done. They sound selfish. If I had a freind like that you and Mommy would tell me not to bother playing with him anymore.

Father: Well they claim that I'm being selfish. Their Union leaders claim that since they are the majority it doesnt matter what happens to us.We should just shut up and accept it. They say that we should be willing to earn less on the line than other airlines so they can earn more on overhaul than at other places where they do overhaul.

Child; Daddy, that doesnt make any sense to me. You guys need a union.

Father; We sure do.
Child; I wish you had the same union as Joeys Dad. It doesnt seem like your union cares about us at all. We have to do without in order to protect them and in return they try to take away even more!

Father: Thats right but thats the way my union says it should be.

Child: Daddy, who fights for us?

MJk, you point a finger at someone for several reasons. One being to get their attention indicating you wish to communicate with that person. The second is when someone is at fault.

What little Joey is being told is the truth. Do not attempt to cover it with the smoke of "subsidizing everyone else's higher wages."

The facts hit like a brick in the teeth. Why is overhaul in Tulsa and KC? The cost of living and doing business there, that's why and THAT'S a fact. So if it is more expensive to live in other parts of the country why not compensate those who work for you that live in those cities?

The twu has been asked this and yet it gets spun into the fault of the person living in those high cost of living centers.

To child: Don't worry. Your Daddy will get the union that Joey's Dad has. The real reason Joey's Dad has the union that he has is because Joey's Dad doesn't have dead people working with him.

By the way MJK, not all of Tulsa is as ignorant as those who do not consider ALL AA AMTs Brothers & Sisters.

Bob,
You should transfer to TULSA where it is cheaper to live and start enjoying some of the finer things of life

Yeah you can get 3.2 beer and barecued balony, dont get no better than that when you pull up to your double wide chowing on a nice barbecued baloney samwich........Lets all move there and send the osms to the line.....Elle may get the cement pond ready companys coming..

I don't think we need to make this a smear campaign against TULSA. We don't need to insult those who live and work there.
But, I think we need to accept the fact that there very affordable places to live in this country, and Tulsa happens to be one of them.
But to respond and say that we who live in high-cost area should just move to Tulsa is asinine. People have lives and families and it is not always a simple choice to just pick up and move.
I don't think that Tulsa mechanics should make less so the line guys should make more. I think that the high cost line stations should receive a line premium. That's all.

No one should be offended in any way, but is is a fact that the dollar goes a longer way in Tulsa than in LA, NY, Chicago, San Francisco and even Miami.

Maybe if we separated the line stations from the overhaul base namely by separate agreements, like we did when we separated from line cargo, we would not have this animosity towards one another.

Simply, we would not worry about what the "other" guy got!

I have said it a hundred times before.

At no cost to the company implement the COLA and save AA millions a year.

After the shock of trying to live on 15K-25K less a year in the low cost areas. Maybe they will wake up and get rid of the twu.

The only people who have been working for a substandard wage are the high cost of living areas. We have signed the cards all ready.
;)

I don't think we need to make this a smear campaign against TULSA. We don't need to insult those who live and work there.
But, I think we need to accept the fact that there very affordable places to live in this country, and Tulsa happens to be one of them.
But to respond and say that we who live in high-cost area should just move to Tulsa is asinine. People have lives and families and it is not always a simple choice to just pick up and move.
I don't think that Tulsa mechanics should make less so the line guys should make more. I think that the high cost line stations should receive a line premium. That's all.

No one should be offended in any way, but is is a fact that the dollar goes a longer way in Tulsa than in LA, NY, Chicago, San Francisco and even Miami.

Maybe if we separated the line stations from the overhaul base namely by separate agreements, like we did when we separated from line cargo, we would not have this animosity towards one another.

Simply, we would not worry about what the "other" guy got!

Don't worry the evil plan is to create this American Airlines Maintenance Services division(AFW,MCI,+TUL) and split it off from the airline in a couple of years.