Dave should read WEBFLYER

TomBascom

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
3A
www.greenfieldtech.com
The advice on FT was not on how to rip off an airline. It was on how to properly file a claim.

The bit about the bag finally showing up involved AA and an advance against the final tally -- not the whole amount. The other advice involved how to get the excluded items (such as digital cameras) covered via homeowners insurance.

This stuff is hardly a rip-off scam.

I hope Dave does read this website.....Go to the Webflyer site, go to the Southwest forum and read the letter from the women who had been missing her bags for two days, questioning if she should receive something from them, well their very nice flyers suggested maybe she should receive voucher for two hundred dollars, Southwest replied to her and offered her a portion of money she had spent or travel vochers worth a couple of hundred of dollars.......then go to USAirways forum and see the advice our flyers give to a person that has had his bag lost.....the tell them how to rip us off, how they have filed claims received thousands of dollars and then received their bag and never had to pay it back.....this is why the Airlines are in the state they are in.....what Ben and his gang need to do, is stand at Southwest Gates and pass out information and how to earm miles on US....we need good passengers like these folks.....please read the forums and tell me this is not the truth......By the way the lady was so happy with Southwest for what little they had offered......we give the store away in mishandled baggage.....look at the authorization for just one day....what we sometimes pay....I hope we do become like Southwest....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 8:46:58 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

read it again....the one tells him to make sure the amount is at least twenty five hundred dollars, make sure he doesn't put anything down that the airline does not cover....did you read the nice lady on southwest.....would love to have passengers like that....even the other passengers were so nice, never stating how to demand and rip the airline off......this is one of the reasons southwest is making money, their passengers are good hearted truthful people, not con artist
----------------
[/blockquote]

I suggest you calm down and re-read it yourself. The point of not listing things that the airline doesn't cover is that there is a limit of $2,500. If you list them they get excluded and you don't recover the full $2,500 (if that's what your loss was.) There's no advice to the effect of making up phantom items to bring the total up to $2,500 -- just advice on how to most efficiently file the claim.

Yup, it's amazing how happy SWA's customers are and what they'll put up with. Ben and company ought to think about that. (They might want to spend some time figuring out why they put up with this stuff -- it can't be cheap fares, after all U has those too. So what's different? But I digress...) But if they were to take a look at these two threads they'd probably conclude that US Airway's customers would prefer to have their bags routinely lost and to be charged $100 to fill out a claim form in exchange for a $200 voucher that they'll never be able to actually use.

read it again....the one tells him to make sure the amount is at least twenty five hundred dollars, make sure he doesn't put anything down that the airline does not cover....did you read the nice lady on southwest.....would love to have passengers like that....even the other passengers were so nice, never stating how to demand and rip the airline off......this is one of the reasons southwest is making money, their passengers are good hearted truthful people, not con artist

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 9:16:58 PM sdavis29 wrote:

[/P]tom,
prior to june furlough, i worked baggage service for 4 years...and yes pax claimed everything under the sun..even pax who were back home wanted 100.00 to by necessities...like they took it all with them for the weekend...our office was medium size and on average, 5-10 k a month in interim checks.
every scam there was we saw....and believe me, we can follow a claim for quite a while...
it was also across the board....while most "elite flyers" were the best to deal with, they also had some of the better ripoffs....IE need a suit for am meeting auth 500.00 bag arrives,,small duffle with shorts and t shirts...i have seen it and dealt with it first hand...and yes..we the airline created the monster...a simple change in terms of transportation would fix quite a bit....

----------------
[/blockquote]

1) I started out by pointing out that the FT thread is [b]not[/b] a guidebook to ripping off airlines. It's just some basic advice on filing a claim and a couple of anecdotes related to lost baggage on other airlines.

2) No doubt people do rip off the airline. OTOH all of the examples you cited seem to me to be at least possibly legit. If my bags don't make it to the meeting I will need a new suit at the last darned minute and that won't be cheap. And it's quite possible that there is stuff in that weekend bag that needs to be replaced (my electric razor springs to mind). I wouldn't be so quick to assume that people make this stuff up.

3) Changing the terms (in the hinted direction) would be just one more thing that makes you indistinguishable from SWA and the ilk... I don't think that that's where you really want to go.

4) If the airline thinks that there is abuse going on then confront the abusers! Instead of passively sitting there throwing out rules and restrictions that punish everyone show some backbone and go after specific liars and cheats. This is a theme that runs through all sorts of areas -- don't paint all customers with the same brush because of the actions of some.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/2/2003 8:12:02 PM TomBascom wrote:
[P]The advice on FT was not on how to rip off an airline. It was on how to properly file a claim.[BR][BR]The bit about the bag finally showing up involved AA and an advance against the final tally -- not the whole amount. The other advice involved how to get the excluded items (such as digital cameras) covered via homeowners insurance.[BR][BR]This stuff is hardly a rip-off scam.[BR][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]tom,[BR]prior to june furlough, i worked baggage service for 4 years...and yes pax claimed everything under the sun..even pax who were back home wanted 100.00 to by necessities...like they took it all with them for the weekend...our office was medium size and on average, 5-10 k a month in interim checks.[BR]every scam there was we saw....and believe me, we can follow a claim for quite a while...[BR]it was also across the board....while most "elite flyers" were the best to deal with, they also had some of the better ripoffs....IE need a suit for am meeting auth 500.00 bag arrives,,small duffle with shorts and t shirts...i have seen it and dealt with it first hand...and yes..we the airline created the monster...a simple change in terms of transportation would fix quite a bit....[BR][BR]

tom,[BR]first off i did not paint all pax...merely that they come from all colors of the rainbow...[BR]secondly, nwa and dl have much more restrictive bag rules as far as claims..and as far as a suit for a meeting...i was only using 1 pax////us1 who when asked to indentify his bag the next day..graciously discarded his claim as he knew that we knew....[BR]last thing, the agts on the front line have caught pax and turned it over..unfortunatley another 1 of fort fumbles finest....mr paulas and crew....would rather sweep it under the carpet than to confront the situation.[BR]i am sorry if you took this as broad statement...it was not intended that way [BR][BR]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 10:27:38 PM sdavis29 wrote:

tom,
first off i did not paint all pax...merely that they come from all colors of the rainbow...
secondly, nwa and dl have much more restrictive bag rules as far as claims..and as far as a suit for a meeting...i was only using 1 pax////us1 who when asked to indentify his bag the next day..graciously discarded his claim as he knew that we knew....
last thing, the agts on the front line have caught pax and turned it over..unfortunatley another 1 of fort fumbles finest....mr paulas and crew....would rather sweep it under the carpet than to confront the situation.
i am sorry if you took this as broad statement...it was not intended that way

----------------
[/blockquote]

No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you took those positions. I was speaking more to the "corporate" "you".

That "sweep it under the rug rather than confront" stuff really gets under my skin. So many of the inane rules are a result of that.

And it's not that I doubt that people do pull this crap -- there are lowlife everywhere -- but I really hope it is the exception rather than the rule. People with legitimate problems shouldn't have to be punished along with the losers who lie and cheat.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 8:46:58 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

I used to fly Southwest a lot, back when they were first starting. One thing that was very apparent, at least then, was that the employees enjoyed working there and liked their customers, and had fun with them on flights. I remember winning a bottle of champagne one time from a Southwest pilot who was playing trivial pursuits with the passengers over the intercom. And hearing and FA say "sorry, we are going to be 15 minutes late so the pilot told us - FREE BEER FOR EVERYONE". By the way, I dont think the passengers are any different on US than Southwest.

Ive had lost bags from just about every carrier, including US. All I have ever asked for is that they make a strong effort to get them to me as soon as possible. They have always turned up eventually. The only time I ever got any money from it was flying NRT-ORD-LHR (dont even ask why) on UAL. I carried on from Tokyo to Chicago but they made me check in at Chicago. Since I hadnt planned on checking I had everything in the bag. So when I went to LHR and my bag went to JFK I had the clothes on my back. UAL gave me 100 pounds for dry cleaning what I was wearing, getting a toothbrush and maybe a shirt or something for the business meeting I had that evening. I dont think that makes me a con artist. In fact the people at UAL offered the money, I didnt ask for it. But I do agree, Dave should read Webflyer. Maybe this too.